• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to get the best out of Minsmere (1 Viewer)

Great place to be except on the dunes when blowing in from the North East in January! Best bird watching place I have visited, you can get a birds eye view from the top of the canopy hide up in the trees, the other hides all overlook water/marsh areas. Avocets are 10 a penny here now..............

Hello

I would have given Minsmere a 10 out 10 had it not been for the noisy crunching gravel path through the woods.

Visited last Sunday afternoon/evening (15:30 to 20:30) & saw an amazing variety of bird types......

Purple & Grey Herons, Bittern, Little Egret, Avocet, Water Rail, Spotted Crake, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Gadwell, Garganey, Shoveller, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Shelduck, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Hobby, Marsh Harrier, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Temmincks Stint, Common Sand, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Greenshank, BHGull, HGull, LBBGull, GBBGull, Little Tern, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Turtle Dove, Wood Pigeon, Jay, Magpie, Crow, Jackdaw, Pheasant, Starling, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Greenfich, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Stonechat, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Swift, Swallow, Sand Martin, Green & GS Woodpeckers, Treecreeper, B,G,C,M,LT & Bearded Tits, Redstart, Nightingale, Cettis, Willow, Garden, Reed, Sedge Warblers, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Cuckoo
(Dartford, Woodlark & Grass Snake next door at Dunwich)

85 species including Cettis & Dartfords as UK tick's & the final bird before we got in the Car! -Purple Heron! a Lifer.

Next time we'll be visiting for the whole day!

Our weekend in Suffolk & Norfolk netted us 142 species.

Excellent 99.9/100.
SE

StevieEvans said:
Hello

I would have given Minsmere a 10 out 10 had it not been for the noisy crunching gravel path through the woods.

Visited last Sunday afternoon/evening (15:30 to 20:30) & saw an amazing variety of bird types......

Purple & Grey Herons, Bittern, Little Egret, Avocet, Water Rail, Spotted Crake, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Gadwell, Garganey, Shoveller, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Shelduck, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Hobby, Marsh Harrier, Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Temmincks Stint, Common Sand, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Greenshank, BHGull, HGull, LBBGull, GBBGull, Little Tern, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Turtle Dove, Wood Pigeon, Jay, Magpie, Crow, Jackdaw, Pheasant, Starling, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Greenfich, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Stonechat, Meadow Pipit, Skylark, Pied Wagtail, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Swift, Swallow, Sand Martin, Green & GS Woodpeckers, Treecreeper, B,G,C,M,LT & Bearded Tits, Redstart, Nightingale, Cettis, Willow, Garden, Reed, Sedge Warblers, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Cuckoo
(Dartford, Woodlark & Grass Snake next door at Dunwich)

85 species including Cettis & Dartfords as UK tick's & the final bird before we got in the Car! -Purple Heron! a Lifer.

Next time we'll be visiting for the whole day!

Our weekend in Suffolk & Norfolk netted us 142 species.

Excellent 99.9/100.
SE

Is that all? - only 18 lifers for me there lol. Looks like that is on my list to do (which increases by the minute) - Fortunate to have relatives around the Peterborough area so can get a few hundred mile south as a base.

I'm glad I'm a beginner really - so many new birds all the time, however that isn't my reason for the response. At the very beginning of this (excellent) thread, before I knew what a dude was - it mentioned Minsmere as the second most visited reserve. Pardon the ignorance but what is the most visited? - if that's not a stupid question.

Quacker

Wow StevieEvans! That's a huge number of birds! When I went (late July) I didn't see most of them! That may be because I was with three non-birders that weren't really interested and only went for me. They'd have moaned if I'd looked at everything! Luckily though I am returning on 20th August with my dad, who is interested in birds. I hope to see all those great birds! And a few lifers!!

Anyway, when I went to Minsmere before, I had a great time but some twitchers were SO patronising. Don't get me wrong, some seemed pleasant and glad that someone my age is a birder but one couple were very condescending to me. (I am 14 by the way). Just because I'm a teenager doesn't mean I haven't been birding for 8 years (which I have) and doesn't mean I don't know what a treecreeper is!!!! One person said - "There was a bird there then young man. Over there. On THIS tree. It's called a t-reeee-creee-per.
AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back