• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (1 Viewer)

A juvenil Christmas Island Frigatebird was present at Xitou in Guangdong province on 18th and 19th of december, I thought it was quite appropriate to post tis today...Only the second Guangdong record it seems...Merry Christmas...
Jonathan
Fantastic bird for Chirstmas, Jonathan. Happy new year.

In Hong Kong there's been a Buff-breasted Sandpiper in a fishpond near Mai Po (at San Tin) since Wednesday and the Siberian Crane is still present at Mai Po.

Cheers
Mike

Good times, Mike. A fantastic bird anywhere in China. This year seems to be a pretty good turn around for the North Alaskan birds.

Jonathan,
Congratulations on an amazing record!! Wow..
And the BB Sand in HK is also a superb winter record. Waiting for one in Beijing.
Best wishes to all for the festive season..
Terry

And the good times have kept on rolling. Two days ago I found a Booted Warbler at San Tin - within 500m of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper. Like the Buff-breasted Sandpiper and the Siberian Crane at Mai Po (all of which I saw yesterday) this is just the second Hong Kong record.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC05526 Iduna sp @ San Tin 7.JPG
    DSC05526 Iduna sp @ San Tin 7.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC05498 iduna sp @ San Tin.JPG
    DSC05498 iduna sp @ San Tin.JPG
    647.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC05508 Iduna sp @ San Tin 2.JPG
    DSC05508 Iduna sp @ San Tin 2.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05505 Iduna sp @ San Tin 3.JPG
    DSC05505 Iduna sp @ San Tin 3.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
And the good times have kept on rolling. Two days ago I found a Booted Warbler at San Tin - within 500m of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper. Like the Buff-breasted Sandpiper and the Siberian Crane at Mai Po (all of which I saw yesterday) this is just the second Hong Kong record.

Cheers
Mike

Patagonia Picnic Table Effect? B :)

Having seen the Buff-breasted Sandpiper I was impressed by the sheer variety of birds on site as I walked out - which included an Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler (just my second winter record in 20+ years of birding here) and 50-odd Red-rumped Swallows - and made a conscious decision to come back and bird it properly three days later.

Does that qualify?

Cheers
Mike

And just to show how different it can look in different lights - here's another one from today.

Cheers
Mike

PS best wishes to all for for great birding in 2017!

Attachments

• DSC05584 Booted Warbler @ San Tin.JPG
    DSC05584 Booted Warbler @ San Tin.JPG
    642.4 KB · Views: 69
That's a great count of Lesser White-fronts!

Cheers
Mike
Yes,and I had an interesting memory there.
Exactly ten years ago,we stayed in a guesthouse in the village at the lake side.
It's 5RMB/bed in an old house.Toilet is together with pigs and chickens and ducks on the ground floor.We walked along the muddy road in snow to the lake and saw 4000+ Swan Geese in one flock.
Now there are many new buidings and one new hotel.The road is paved.Temprature is 10~15C,very warm.Not lucky,only a few Swan Geese.

Shanghai during April 2017

It's about time to revive this thread and also my presence here.;)

There wasn't anything spectacular in April, it's the regular passage migrants. Those who have birded the XiaoYangshan island before, the garbage gully is no more, its more of a Pylon gully now and its been less productive this spring. Attached a pic below.
Also, at Nanhui, the earth movers are now slowly making their way towards south and the Marsh Grassbirds prime areas are marked for destruction.

Attachments

• RubythroatSiberian_009.jpg
    RubythroatSiberian_009.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 58
  • BuntingMeadow_002.jpg
    BuntingMeadow_002.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 41
  • StonechatStejnegers_004.jpg
    StonechatStejnegers_004.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Kevin_P.jpg
    Kevin_P.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Nanhui_1.jpg
    Nanhui_1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 47
3rd Weekend of April

This week was the peak passerine movement and we clocked 91 species(15 April) which included 7 species of Bunting (Yellow-breasted, Yellow-browed, Japanse Yellow, Black-faced, Little, Tristram's, Chestnut-eared) and also the arrival of Flycatchers. Spectacular no's of Red-throated Pipits and few Pechora Pipits.

Attachments

• FlycatcherNarcissus_018.jpg
    FlycatcherNarcissus_018.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 49
  • WarblerRufous_faced.jpg
    WarblerRufous_faced.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 42
  • PipitRed_throated_003.jpg
    PipitRed_throated_003.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 41
  • BuntingYellow_browed.jpg
    BuntingYellow_browed.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Large Hawk Cuckoo.jpg
    Large Hawk Cuckoo.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 47
Last weekend(29 April)

I was out to Jiangsu coast on the 4th weekend to witness the shorebird migration. The final weekend turned out to be a bit slow on birding front but trumped by a magnificent "Chinese Peacock" butterfly, which nicely showcased its fairy green dust on its wings in the early morning hours.
Which then followed by a 5ft long "Stinking Goddess" aka "King Ratsnake" lying motionless on a garbage pile.
We finished XioaYangshan with a scarce Black-eared Kite and the season's first Chinese Egret(3 no's).

Attachments

• Chinese Peacock.jpg
    Chinese Peacock.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 41
  • RobinSiberian_Blue.jpg
    RobinSiberian_Blue.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 42
  • SnakeKing_Rat.jpg
    SnakeKing_Rat.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 58
  • KiteBlack_eared_002.jpg
    KiteBlack_eared_002.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 41
  • BuntingYellow_005.jpg
    BuntingYellow_005.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 56
Marsh Grassbird

And as an additional bonus, First two weeks of April is the best time for Marsh Grassbirds. Despite, the ongoing habitat destruction, the reed dwellers showed up exceptionally.

Attachments

• Grassbird,Marsh003.jpg
    Grassbird,Marsh003.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Grassbird,Marsh_004.jpg
    Grassbird,Marsh_004.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 100
  • Grassbird,Marsh_005.jpg
    Grassbird,Marsh_005.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 91
  • Parrotbill,Reed_023.jpg
    Parrotbill,Reed_023.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Tit,Chinese_Penduline_008.jpg
    Tit,Chinese_Penduline_008.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 105
Blast from the Past

Bit of a late post but few interesting things from my part of the world.

May 13
A casual spring day to rack up the shorebirds before they fly up north. Was alerted by Larry (Shanghai Student Thread, who was in final days of birding in Shanghai before heading over to Cornell) that there is an uncommon bird in the car park. An "Orange-headed Thrush" was the VIP.

While scouting the nearby raddish fields for butterflies, we stumbled upon a "Striped Field Mouse", carrying its offspring.

Attachments

• Thrush,Orange_headed_001.jpg
    Thrush,Orange_headed_001.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Shrike,Tiger_001.jpg
    Shrike,Tiger_001.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Flycatcher,Dark_sided_012.jpg
    Flycatcher,Dark_sided_012.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Reed_Warbler,Oriental_003.jpg
    Reed_Warbler,Oriental_003.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Mouse,Striped_field_001.jpg
    Mouse,Striped_field_001.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back