• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from Yucatan in January (1 Viewer)

Fair enough. Go to this page, scroll down and follow the link to the gallery using the yellow bar: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Blue-black_Grassquit

To mention one thing, I do not see a single female colored bird with a pale eye-ring like on the op bird. I have more difficulty in describing what I feel is a difference in the spotting/stripes on the underside.

Disclaimer: during the last many years I have seen many more grassquits than buntings.

Niels

Niels

Well I'm still confused. Google Images comes up with pics of both species with and without eyerings and faint sub-moustachial stripes. Obviously I don't know how accurately the images are labelled. Thought I'd found something diagnostic with dark centres to the median coverts on the Grassquit but then found pics of the bunting with the same. Wing length seems to be a consistent difference but how useful this in pics I'm not sure, depends on angle of the shot. I must dig out my photos of "Indigo Buntings" from Mexico a few years back, may get a posthumous ( not the correct word I know but on the whiskey so it'll do) tick.

Phil

Well I'm still confused. Google Images comes up with pics of both species with and without eyerings and faint sub-moustachial stripes.

Phil

Agree. Here's one quite similar to my eye to the OP bird http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-bl...ina-adult-female-standing-among-94097629.html
others have a more prominent eye-ring, and moustachial too I think (but my rubbish IT skills mean I can't work out how to link to them specifically!). Check out the eyering on eg the adult female in the HBW page.

I'd like someone to point out a 'harder' feature to go on in the OP image! It's still doing my head in that they don't cause so much bother in the field! Maybe it's the way they move or something?

EDIT confidence dwindling that my linked bird above is correctly identified!

Last edited:
One thing I don't do is google image search for birds. The false hits are just too many. I limit the images I view to those in the birdforum gallery, the IBC, and some regional sources such as the media in Wikiaves do Brasil and Neotropical birds online where I have better odds than 50:50.

Niels

One thing I don't do is google image search for birds. The false hits are just too many. I limit the images I view to those in the birdforum gallery, the IBC, and some regional sources such as the media in Wikiaves do Brasil and Neotropical birds online where I have better odds than 50:50.

Niels

I was just talking about birds I'm confident really are grassquits (agree you have to be careful). The thing I noticed most is they often look somehow more compact and bull-necked compared to Indigo Bunting, but not always, if they're stretching!

EDIT actually I'm not that confident my linked bird is a Blue-black Grassquit!.... But others show eye-rings and submoustachials...honest!

Last edited:
I always look at Google Images with a critical eye and a large amount of scepticism but with these two species (and many more if I'm honest) I still don't know what I'm looking for to be critical about.
I really must have a return visit, a marvellous place.

Phil

Another shot of the same Indigo Bunting

Just to give another image to look at from a slightly different angle.

Attachments

• IMG_1473Snap2.jpg
    IMG_1473Snap2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back