• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (3 Viewers)

Thanks so much Lisa. Yeah... those striped ones are rather neat, aren't they.

EDIT:

Ken posted pictures of White-fronted Honeyeater in the Gallery this morning (27 February) and I then discovered that I'd completely omitted that one from my Gluepot list and report!!!!

So I've edited this post to add it in and keep things more-or-less all together in the correct place. So pic attached to this post.

Attachments

• BF White-fronted Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF White-fronted Honeyeater thread.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 13
The last couple of birds from Gluepot were a juvenile Red Wattlebird and an Australian Raven; then I thought I'd show you an overall view from the hide. You need to have your eyes busy looking everywhere, the birds just seem to appear in the branches, and there was much flying to and fro.

Apparently Gluepot is well named; after rain, the road gets so sticky you can't drive on it. And there's 50k of it!!! We were lucky... that night it thundered down!! So we just got out in time LOL

The last picture is the ferry crossing over the Murray River to Waikerie.

Leaving Gluepot beside one of the gates, we found both a Willie-Wagtail and a Southern Whiteface.

Attachments

• BF Red Wattlebird juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Red Wattlebird juvenile thread.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Australian Raven thread.jpg
    BF Australian Raven thread.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Water trough view Emu Hide thread.jpg
    BF Water trough view Emu Hide thread.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 23
  • BF 50k Gluepot Road.jpg
    BF 50k Gluepot Road.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Waikerie ferry thread.jpg
    BF Waikerie ferry thread.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 19
Great photos again Delia......love the Striped Honeyeater, good for the avatar?
Sorry to hear about the snow LOL... we've got humid weather like the tropics, which is not usual for Melb and everything is green instead of brown!!!!! ..........Got a shot of my Freckled Ducks, thanks for reminding me!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful adventure!

Hogwash Bend

2 November 2019

After a rather noisy night with thunder, we woke to a grey morning and wet ground! Thought I was in a new country:-O

The first picture shows the Murray River at Barmera where we'd spent the night. There's a Masked Lapwing under the rail if you look carefully.

We were now on our way to spend a little time at Hogwash Bend (what a lovely name!), this is back near Waikerie where we'd crossed the river the day before.

Driving down the road, we came across a party of Black-tailed Nativehens, but this was the best picture I got through the windscreen. Then within moments a Kangaroo hopped across the road. As you can see... no shadows as it was completely overcast (not cold though).

At the road end there's a camp site beside the river and a parking area.

We wandered round the woodland, first encountering a pair of Adelaide Rosellas, then a pretty Little Corella (quiet for once LOL).

Attachments

• BF Murray River, Barmera thread.jpg
    BF Murray River, Barmera thread.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Black-tailed Nativehen thread.jpg
    BF Black-tailed Nativehen thread.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 22
  • BF Kangaroo thread.jpg
    BF Kangaroo thread.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 22
  • BF Crimson Rosella Adelaide thread.jpg
    BF Crimson Rosella Adelaide thread.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Litlle Corella thread.jpg
    BF Litlle Corella thread.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
Continuing with our wander round the woodland we found a pair of Galahs then, oh joy, at last a Striated Pardalote. I'd got a picture of it on the front of my Aussie guide. My hosts had heard one singing in various places but this was my first sighting and therefore picture.

Due to the poor light it's not a great picture, but I'll take it LOL.

Then we had a Pied Butcherbird and a male White-winged Triller and the last of this batch is a yellow form of the Adelaide Rosella.

Attachments

• BF Galah thread.jpg
    BF Galah thread.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Striated Pardalote thread.jpg
    BF Striated Pardalote thread.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 39
  • BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    BF Pied Butcherbird thread.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 19
  • BF White-wingedTriller male thread.jpg
    BF White-wingedTriller male thread.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Adelaide Rosella yellow thread.jpg
    BF Adelaide Rosella yellow thread.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 20
The first image shows the woodland we were wandering through at Hogwash Bend, quite open but very tall trees (of course!)

So next we spotted a Whistling Kite soaring over our heads and managed a shot between the branches.

After this we headed down towards the campsite and the river bank.

On the opposite side were an Australasian Darter and some Maned Ducks with a Pacific Duck drifting with the current.

Then I found some pretty white flowers as we headed back to the car. Identified as Lantana, an invasive introduction.

Attachments

• BF Hogwash Bend Woodland thread.jpg
    BF Hogwash Bend Woodland thread.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Whistling Kite thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite thread.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Australasian Darter thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Darter thread.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 37
  • BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    BF Pacific Black Duck thread.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 13
  • BF White flowers thread.jpg
    BF White flowers thread.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 21
Well done on the Pardalote Delia, looks a delicate little thing! Loved the Honeyeaters too, I think the Brown-headed pipped it for me!

Chris

Mannum

We then headed down the river to the town of Mannum.

After finding a nice cafe for lunch we found our way back to the river where we were taking a boat trip.

While waiting for the boat to be prepared, saw some Eurasian Coot pecking around on the river bank and a Great Cormorant on a dead tree.

At last we were off. We'd only been out about 5 minutes when a boat started harassing us. They gave up in the end fortunately and then the action started.

We were at this point in view of what's called an Aboriginal Dugout Canoe tree, which you can see in the third picture with the long hole down it. flying around were some Black and Whistling Kites and Silver Gulls. Then moments later, there was a beautiful kite sitting on top of the tree.

Wonderful kite action.

Sorry if you're not a kite fan, as I'll be showing you some more pictures of them.;)

Attachments

• BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    BF Eurasian Coot thread.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Great Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Great Cormorant thread.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Kite, gulss and Canoe Tree thread.jpg
    BF Kite, gulss and Canoe Tree thread.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Whistling Kite perched thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite perched thread.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Whistling Kite upperparts thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite upperparts thread.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 31
As many Kite photos Delia, love them and listening to their call, magic!
Can we tell KC that the white darter is the female or juvie, male has black neck with a red tinge, beautiful birds,
one of my favorites.
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Nora.

Indeed, I meant to explain just that to KC last night, but things got on top of me and I went to bed before doing it. Thanks for telling her yourself lass.

..... and Larry (brace yourself lad... that's going to kick off shortly LOL)+

I was fully braced :). Each time I read your update I'm rooting for you connecting with one of the birds we missed down under (and thus socking it to 'em), and we had three crucial misses that are possible at Gluepot (Black-eared Miner, Red-lored Whistler and Scarlet-chested Parrot). Bit of an unfair comparison though cos we spent 3 days camping there and still missed them. You came close back at Bowra with possible Hall's Babbler, and your trips not over yet.....

Loving the report and the pics :t:

The crew threw some morsels out for the kites for around 5-10 minutes, which gave us plenty of opportunities to watch the kites and gulls.

Attachments

• BF Whistling Kite close thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite close thread.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Whistling Kite two clouds thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite two clouds thread.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Whistling Kite two cloud thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite two cloud thread.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 9
  • BF Silver Gull 1 thread.jpg
    BF Silver Gull 1 thread.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BF Whistling Kite water thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite water thread.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 15
Then we headed off slowly along the river, but the action didn't stop and there was still plenty of kite acrobatics to watch. And another Great Cormorant observing from a high perch.

Attachments

• BF WK flight thread.jpg
    BF WK flight thread.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 12
  • BF WK acrobat thread.jpg
    BF WK acrobat thread.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 10
  • BF WK Acrobatics thread.jpg
    BF WK Acrobatics thread.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Little Eagle thread.jpg
    BF Little Eagle thread.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Great Cormorant 1 thread.jpg
    BF Great Cormorant 1 thread.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 10
Larry, those three birds you refer to are still seen at Gluepot but require some considerable walking to find them, plus some knowledge of the best places to look. We saw the Miner and the Whistler when we were there in 2015 but we were with a guide who knew where to go. With Delia we spent all our time in the bird hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back