• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambridgeshire Birding (1 Viewer)

8 July Grafham Water early am ; Osprey in trees at west end. Two juv Little Ringed Plovers on the dam plus Ringed Plover. Two Yellow-legged Gulls and at least 31 Little Egrets

15 July Grafham Water , am ; 3 Dunlin, 3 Common Sanpipers , 4 Ringed Plover & 1 Little Ringed around the Dam area. At least 2 Yellow-legged Gulls
Silver-washed Fritillary along the dam and one in my garden!

29 July Grafham Water ; 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and Mandarin duck off the dam. Flock of 9 Whimbrels over Mander Carpark heading south. Tame Barnacle goose still with Greylags....

25 Aug Grafham Water : Knot on the dam, southern end this evening in very poor light.https://www.flickr.com/photos/140874789@N04/29329100527/in/album-72157664662036243/
Also 7 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Greenshanks, 5+ Green Sandpipers 5+ Common Sandpipers in Gaynes Creek. Pintail in Valley Creek 4 Ringed Plovers on the dam early morning. Yellow-legged Gull feeding on dead fish on the dam. 50+ Yellow Wagtails on the dam; all checked carefully just in case....
Spotted Flycatcher at north end of dam this morning; a year tick!!

Last edited:
26 Aug Grafham Water : the Knot still here but in Gaynes Creek (Plummer Carpark) with the wader flock. At least 3 Greenshanks, 4 Black-tailed Godwits 6+ Green Sandpipers
3 Yellow-legged Gulls on the dam plus many Yellow Wagtails still.

Another Spotted Flycatcher yesterday in spinney between Valley and Dudney creeks. My first of The year at Grafham. Sadly, it seems the days of breeding pairs at Mander car park, Hill Farm and Marlow car park are long gone.

27 Aug Grafham Water pm : 2 Dunlin on the dam and single Ringed Plover ; 2 Greenshanks in Gaynes Creek with a Green Sandpiper. Little else with the Bank Holiday disturbance; glad I was working....

Tuesday 28th August 6.30pm - 3 x Cranes flying in a South West direction over Stow Cum Quy. Probably flying from Lakenheath? to where I do not know.

Hi Ed
looks like the Cranes have settled at the reed bed area near the A14/Quy roundabout (Little Wilbraham fen?) I first saw them on the 28th, then again on the 1st September.
Wonder if they'll stay long?

Grafham gulls?

Is anyone seeing this approachable individual Juv Caspian still?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140874789@N04/30543484778/in/album-72157664662036243/

It would be good to follow it photographically through the winter. Maybe a gull feeding station at Plummer would be feasible....
Ethically no different to feeding the Tits at Mander Hide!

1 Sep Grafham Water: Knot still at Valley Creek, Osprey 1 +1 , some interesting juvenile gulls too ......https://www.flickr.com/photos/140874789@N04/albums/72157664662036243

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back