• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2013 (1 Viewer)

20. rook
21. jackdaw
22. jay
23. pink-footed goose
24. sparrowhawk

Siskins now regular at the feeders and still a few bramblings visiting.

Rob

Relatively mild here of late, so activity a little lower than to be expected, still quite a nice haul to start the year off, especially the reappearance of my Three-toed Woodpecker. White-backed Woodpeckers also doing very well, four on my feeders now.

1. Common Buzzard
2. Grey-headed Woodpecker
3. Black Woodpecker
4. Three-toed Woodpecker
5. White-backed Woodpecker
6. Great Spotted Woodpecker
7. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
8. Fieldfare
9. Marsh Tit
10. Willow Tit
11. Blue Tit
12. Great Tit
13. Treecreeper
14. Jay
15. Magpie
16. Hooded Crow
17. Raven
18. Siskin
19. Bullfinch

However, best thing on my land so far this year comes at the end of this little video clip...

A Night on the Ice, Beavers & Buddies.

A new species for my land.

Last edited:
37) Cormorant

A low-level fly through in misty conditions gave me just enough for an adequate id.

A couple of almost subliminal very brief views in the scope the last two days were probably Med Gull and Red-breasted Merganser - but don't think I can really have them on the basis of 1 wing and a blur with white wing flashes through the trees unfortunately ... even if that's what they were.

Last edited:
Not keeping a garden year-list, but apparently a Glossy Ibis overflew the garden on 1 Jan - I was at PC World at the time! :-C

30. Wedge-tailed Eagle. House tick taking list to 50, what a stonking bird!
31. Yellow-spotted Honeyeater; 51st spp for house
32. Little Bronze Cuckoo; 52 spp for house

Last edited:
Semi-rural mid north Cheshire with canal and woods nearby.

Hardly been at home since the New Year began, so hopelessly behind already.

Tawny owls calling last night and Collared dove singing this morning (thick fog) put me on to 18 so far.

Will be able to get a few more today, I hope.

Up to 32 so far..including the less than annual ''flyover'' Mute Swan(2)...10 behind the same time last year.

An hour or so watching has me on 25.

No surprises yet.

Still too murky for flyovers, and I missed the passing Sparrowhawk too.

But still lagging behind our supreme leader ... ;)

38) Raven 2
39) Little Grebe

The Ravens were the closest yet, just over the park behind the house, with 13 Magpies shortly after. Another Cormorant and a nice close perched up Common Buzzard. Picked another Grey Wagtail up on the river, about as far away as I'm going to confidently id small passerines I reckon. The Little Grebe was the result of seemingly half a day periodically scoping the distant water - quite a headache ensuing trying to focus through the branches. But it was all worth it ... ?!

Put my garden list on bubo listing, and found that I'd omitted a couple of species -

40) Redwing (from the 1st Jan)
41) Jay (from a couple of days ago.)

And a new one for the day -

42) Peregrine

One flew over, happened to glance out the window to see a number of crows in the air - and there was this beast winging its way north. Visited the Penryn River earlier - 2 Snipe roosting. Back home and they were just obscured by some thin tree branches, otherwise would have had them ... bah!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back