• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Offshore Port Said, Egypt (1 Viewer)

Offman

Morning All,
Back at sea, on PMS Mayo, been thru a couple of gales, list as of this am, White, Grey and Pied Wagtail, C Buzzard, Perigrine, Kestrel, Snipe, Skylark, Robin, Hoopoe, Black Redstart, Whitethroat, and Black-headed Bunting

04:50 - 20+ White Wagtails parked on our helideck

That’s an impressive “bunch” of birds Offman! Do they mostly drop in during the day, or are they mostly found first thing....dawn, and do you run “white” light at night? :t:

Cheers

Impressive indeed, I imagine the Black- headed Bunting was a big surprise, an early date and without access to literature I’m guessing it must be pretty rare over there.

Morning all, were 45 mile offshore at the moment, i came onshift at midnight, with 30+ White Wags on the helideck. 3 more flew in and joined them. I expect them to depart as soon as light comes up, around 05:00.
The BH Bunting was a lifer for me, i have no idea about its distribution etc. Is it even a rarity in Egypt?

Where's the Grey Wagtail

Night picture of our back deck. If you're bored, find the Grey Wagtail

Attachments

• 20190402_022426.jpg
    20190402_022426.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 50
Is it fairly top left, just down from the disc shape?
Re the B h Bunting, my( possibly out of date) copy of BWP mentions it as ‘ accidental’ in Tunisia, Algéria, Morocco and Malta so I imagine it’s a rarity in Egypt too. Breeds on Crete of course and it’s migration time when wanderers turn up in odd places ( Ruppell’s Warbler in S of France currently for example).
Enjoying your reports!

A great shot Offman!...am struggling with the Grey Wagtail, however the Lesser Whitethroat looks good. Can you find out what the specification of the white light is, many thanks and keep those shots coming, cos there might be a few more surprises in the pipeline. :t:

Cheers

Impressive indeed, I imagine the Black- headed Bunting was a big surprise, an early date and without access to literature I’m guessing it must be pretty rare over there.

The Birds of Egypt (Goodman & Meininger) Black-headed Bunting: Rare passage visitor in autumn from early August to mid September and in spring from late March to mid May. The earliest known spring record is 30th March 1946 when one flew aboard a ship that had just departed Port Said (Hardy 1946).

Morning Folks, a quiet night, just a single white wag, the ROV crew reckon the light is 100w, but its a double.
The GW is on the rail,in the circle of cables on the winch power pack.
I usually ask the deck crew to collect corpses for me, not possible on here as we have 2 resident cats......

I did find the bird Offman, and found it odd in as much that it “appeared” short-tailed?
Thanks for the light spec.useful to know! Many years ago (19) I monitored the lights at Canary Wharf, a bit brighter than “200w”, and they pulled in on good nights c100 migrants, this could drop by 90% on negative nights, so your 200w is punching way above it’s weight pro rata. As a comparative, out of the c40 mig species that turned up over 5 years, 25% were locally scarce, and a further 25% nationally, so keep up the good work. :t:

Had this on board for a few days, we got alongside in Port Said, and it still didn't want go , so after a drink, off it finally went. Also got Gull-billed Tern, Arctic Skua and Little Tern on way in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190408-034659_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190408-034659_Gallery.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 26
Morning All,
So after the port call, we're now some 15km off the coast, nearby is a loose fishing fleet, and with the kitchen scraps going over the side , we attract gulls.
This am, along with tbe LBBGs, we had Great Shearwaters, Scopoli's?, Common Terns and then a Pomerine Skua came along, no spoons, but impressive anyway.

Just had to warn off a fishing boat for coming too close to us, she was steaming in and cleaning her catch, dozens of gulls and shearwaters following her, in amongst the crowd , a Bonxie, (Great Skua.)

Morning All,
So after the port call, we're now some 15km off the coast, nearby is a loose fishing fleet, and with the kitchen scraps going over the side , we attract gulls.
This am, along with tbe LBBGs, we had Great Shearwaters, Scopoli's?, Common Terns and then a Pomerine Skua came along, no spoons, but impressive anyway.

Wow - great shearwaters would be the first records in Egyptian waters. Would be good to get these rarities documented in some way.

Were now working some 180Km off Port Said, had nothing except the occasional LBBG, yesterday lunchtime something flew past the bridge windows, finally found 3 Tree Sparrows, we have had westerly winds for 3 days now.

Tree Sparrow

Best i can do with my fone.

Attachments

• 20190418_055957.jpg
    20190418_055957.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190418_055942.jpg
    20190418_055942.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 21
At least 12 on board this morning.
Pic using my Samsung S9, with Opticron Marine WP 8x25.

Attachments

• 20190418_065419.jpg
    20190418_065419.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back