• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting White Storks, Sussex (1 Viewer)

I just assumed it is two of the birds they have 're-introduced' ie let go.

I am all for re-wilding but feel that wildlife should be allowed to find and colonise the areas naturally rather than being introduced. Somehow I think it would have taken a long while for White Storks to do so.

Steve

What's the deal with the Knepp White Storks? Difficult to get clear info on whether the birds that are nesting are true wild birds attracted by the clipped-wing birds, or escapees...

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...me-first-to-breed-in-wild-in-uk-for-centuries

I imagine that is deliberate. The more they can blur the line, the more they can claim they are encouraging wild birds back rather than conducting a vanity project with a species that could well return on its own if the environment encouraged it.

John

A tatty looking White Stork turned up on my patch at Posbrook a year or two back and the fact that it barely reacted when a dog walker got very close to it was not a good sign. It was traced back to Knepp.

Dave W

Thanks chaps. As I suspected, despite the suggestions in the Guardian and other national newspapers that this was the first wild breeding in the UK for 600 years...

I imagine that is deliberate. The more they can blur the line, the more they can claim they are encouraging wild birds back rather than conducting a vanity project with a species that could well return on its own if the environment encouraged it.

We are truly in the Age of the Conspiracy Theorist. . .. ;)

Apparently Springwatch will tell us all abaht it Monday evening. It'll be interesting to see what line they take.

OK, so it was Tuesday. I was a bit surprised Chris Packham was so enthusiastic about this project, but maybe I shouldn't have been.

A tatty looking White Stork turned up on my patch at Posbrook a year or two back and the fact that it barely reacted when a dog walker got very close to it was not a good sign. It was traced back to Knepp.

Dave W

But beware, this one at a French Service station was pretty much eating out of people's hands, with dogs and children in the area. There were about 20 behaving similar,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1591194880925781&set=pb.100001058541503.-2207520000.1560340259.&type=3&theater

OK, so it was Tuesday. I was a bit surprised Chris Packham was so enthusiastic about this project, but maybe I shouldn't have been.

My thoughts too (on his enthusiasm levels). The fact the birds are 'prevented' from migrating during their first few years only adds to the oddness of this project. I'm hesitant to use the phrase 'vanity project', but it seemed to be heading that way.

Personally, I think projects like this (and similar) are a waste of conservation/private funds and effort. Does it distract us from looking at a whole-habitat solution, by concentrating on some sort of micro-conservation instead (for "almost-native" species!)?

White Storks are cosmopolitan across much of Europe.

Head-started Godwits and Curlews are much more relevant and worth-while projects (in my humble opinion).

My thoughts too (on his enthusiasm levels). The fact the birds are 'prevented' from migrating during their first few years only adds to the oddness of this project. I'm hesitant to use the phrase 'vanity project', but it seemed to be heading that way.

Personally, I think projects like this (and similar) are a waste of conservation/private funds and effort. Does it distract us from looking at a whole-habitat solution, by concentrating on some sort of micro-conservation instead (for "almost-native" species!)?

White Storks are cosmopolitan across much of Europe.

Head-started Godwits and Curlews are much more relevant and worth-while projects (in my humble opinion).

Knepp is more than White Storks, vanity project or not, they are rewilding and plenty of species are benefitting it is becoming a great place for birding. I had a great walk round a couple of weeks ago, although look out for the cows they are a bit feisty!!
It is also excellent for Butterflies, with Purple Hairstreak, Purple Emperor and White Admiral all doing well.

Cheers

Paul

I applaud the idea of rewilding large areas such as the Knepp estate but I would be much happier if wildlife was left to find and utilise the habitat rather than being introduced.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back