• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald Eagle drowns a gull (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

I got this series of photos on the coast of in Maine, US last week. It looks to me that the bald eagle is drowning a gull.

I know that bald eagles usually feed on fish (frequently stolen from an Osprey) but I guess that bald eagles will do this.

Attachments

• 2019 07 02 18 00 29.JPG
    2019 07 02 18 00 29.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 310
  • 2019 07 02 18 00 38.JPG
    2019 07 02 18 00 38.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 285
  • 2019 07 02 18 00 55.JPG
    2019 07 02 18 00 55.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 2019 07 02 18 02 42.JPG
    2019 07 02 18 02 42.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 2019 07 02 18 02 53.JPG
    2019 07 02 18 02 53.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 317
The Cape May Bird Observatory had a resident GBB Gull that preyed on the local Coots, trapping them in the shallows and gradually pecking them top death. They called the bird 'Cooter' for obvious reasons.
So gulls and eagles have the understanding of what it takes to prey on diving birds. Eagles are usually more likely to go for ducks than the more agile gulls,
but I guess this gull just was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Gulls will drown anything given half a chance. Every year at the Strait of Gibraltar at migration times the local yellow-legged gulls will gang up on anything they get their eyes on; short-toed eagles, booted eagles, sparrowhawks, etc, etc, etc and try to drive them into the water. A couple of years ago I watched a black stork coming in and being harrassed all the way until it reached the Spanish shore.

Last May we spotted this griffon vulture that had been driven into the sea just short of landfall. When we spotted it, it was flapping weakly in the sea, but luckily for it the outcrop of rock in the photo was only about 50 metres away from it and it managed to reach it and scramble out of the water. It stood on he rock, wings spread for about 45 minutes, constantly harrassed by gulls, until it dried out enough to fly the last couple of hundred metres to land, passing low over my head before flopping exhausted onto the hillside where it rested for another hour.

Only a few minutes before we spotted it we'd been watching another griffon which wasn't so lucky. It was flapping in the water about a quarter of a mile offshore and without a handy outcrop to assist it, it drowned.

Attachments

• Swamped-Griffon-(23)-(survived)-casg.jpg
    Swamped-Griffon-(23)-(survived)-casg.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Swamped-Griffon-(68)-(survived)-fbook.jpg
    Swamped-Griffon-(68)-(survived)-fbook.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
A few years ago whilst birdng some local pools i spotted a dog walker throwing a stick for his little Jack Russell. The walker threw it repeatedly near a pair of Mute Swans with 4 young. On the last throwing of the stick the dog disregarded it and instead paddled towards the Cygnets. At this the male Swan fluffed itself up and repeatedly hissed at the animal. Undeterred it carried on after the Cygnets - the adult Swan calmy approached the dog head-on craned its neck over the now apprehensive little mutt reached down grabbing its nape and pushed it below the water whilst swimming slowly backwards.....

Within a minute the poor creature was dead - a salutory lesson to all irresponsible dog-owners.

Laurie -

A few years ago whilst birdng some local pools i spotted a dog walker throwing a stick for his little Jack Russell. The walker threw it repeatedly near a pair of Mute Swans with 4 young. On the last throwing of the stick the dog disregarded it and instead paddled towards the Cygnets. At this the male Swan fluffed itself up and repeatedly hissed at the animal. Undeterred it carried on after the Cygnets - the adult Swan calmy approached the dog head-on craned its neck over the now apprehensive little mutt reached down grabbing its nape and pushed it below the water whilst swimming slowly backwards.....

Within a minute the poor creature was dead - a salutory lesson to all irresponsible dog-owners.

Laurie -

Wonder whether that is instinctive behavior, swimming predators are a common threat for water birds, but are at a real disadvantage if tackled in the water and swans have the size to make it matter.
Feel bad for the little Jack Russell, he was just doing what was natural, but it cost him his life.

Mute Swan can drown a dog of pretty much any size, provided the water is deep enough for the dog to be swimming out of its depth. The swan is in its element, the dog isn't.

Laurie -
If that had been my dog and I had made such a foolish mistake , I would have been in the water lickysplit retrieving my dog and that Swan would have been in the wrong place pretty much dead ! . I love Swans but love dogs more..... gwen

Thanks for the support. I know nature can be cruel but if I had just stood and watched my loved animal be drowned and did nothing to try and prevent it, well that would be one memory I would not want to think about.

Nice bit of work - I guess the gull thought it'd be safe on the water . . . not so!!

No bird is safe from a Baldie, in any environment especially if they are hungry! I watched one kill a Canadian Goose in mid flight, it was brutal! Wouldn't you know it, no camera!

Last edited:
I suspect that anyone going into the water to tackle a Mute Swan might find that they had bitten off more than they could handle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back