• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Swans with wild swans (1 Viewer)

I have been following this thread on Black Swans . . . I find it very interesting, in that the 'net' information available suggest that Black Swans don't migrate!! Yet, here are several sightings of Black Swans in Bwick's (In England???).

I am in Tampa, Florida,US and, at this time, considering purchase a couple of Black Swans for a pond behind my home. In the US, or at least in Florida, all Swans must be 'pinioned' (I think that is correct). Also, a license is required to own them!

I saw a Black Swan feeding with a flock of 45 Mute Swans at East Chevington last Friday, 20th May.
Just a shame I couldn't tick it!!!

Gill

I have read recently that Black Swans have been known to mate with Mute Swans in captivity but that the off spring are thought to be infertile. Does anyone know if there are records of this occuring in the wild?

brianfm said:
I have read recently that Black Swans have been known to mate with Mute Swans in captivity but that the off spring are thought to be infertile. Does anyone know if there are records of this occuring in the wild?
Black and white swans hybridising? Bit of a grey area...

But just yesterday, on the net, someone was selling, GRAY Swans, with pic . . . and these were not young Blacks. What is a GRAY Swan?? . . . mutant?
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back