• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions (1 Viewer)

I am wondering when Swarovski comes out with the NL 8x32 if the headrest from the NL 8x42 will be compatible with it or if they will even have a headrest on the 32mm. In the US really Swaro owns the high-end binocular market, Vortex own's the mid-range and Nikon and Leupold sell the low-end stuff. Zeiss and Leica are not even hardly sold at the major sporting goods store's and they have very poor resale compared to Swaro's. I am sticking to Swaro's from now on. They have better resale, better service, and more consistent quality IMO.

I am wondering when Swarovski comes out with the NL 8x32 if the headrest from the NL 8x42 will be compatible with it or if they will even have a headrest on the 32mm. In the US really Swaro owns the high-end binocular market, Vortex own's the mid-range and Nikon and Leupold sell the low-end stuff. Zeiss and Leica are not even hardly sold at the major sporting goods store's and they have very poor resale compared to Swaro's. I am sticking to Swaro's from now on. They have better resale, better service, and more consistent quality IMO.

Dennis,

IMHO Swarovski is indeed better in service, but it ends there.
Both Zeiss and Leica have the same consistent quality and the resale prices of them both are not to be ignored.

Lets be frank. Currently the three top dogs are SF, NV and ELSV. Because of their deserved name in service, Swarovski is nr. one in sales but it says nothing about the quality. All three are superb bins.
In telescopes the Harpia is as good as one can get, but the ATX sells because of the interchangeable objectives. It is for the customer to make a choice but it has nothing to do with consistent quality (ok, in this case also better resale).

As long as there will be no 32NL the absolute topdog in 32 country will be the SF32. It is just a matter of the latest and greatest from one of the three brands.

Jan

Last edited:

You may not remember, but I said to you a long time ago to just stick with Swarovski because you always go back to them.

Dennis,

IMHO Swarovski is indeed better in service, but it ends there.
Both Zeiss and Leica have the same consistent quality and the resale prices of them both are not to be ignored.

Lets be frank. Currently the three top dogs are SF, NV and ELSV. Because of their deserved name in service, Swarovski is nr. one in sales but it says nothing about the quality. All three are superb bins.
In telescopes the Harpia is as good as one can get, but the ATX sells because of the interchangeable objectives. It is for the customer to make a choice but it has nothing to do with consistent quality (ok, in this case also better resale).

As long as there will be no 32NL the absolute topdog in 32 country will be the SF32. It is just a matter of the latest and greatest from one of the three brands.

Jan
Maybe in Holland. In the US Swaro is THE high-end brand to own. I never see a Zeiss or Leica scope or binocular out in the field or for that matter in the stores. All Swaro's especially spotters. I am not saying Swaro's are better than Leica's or Zeiss. They just market them better and they sell better in the US. I can sell a Swaro in a day on ebay for full price whereas, a Leica or Zeiss takes me a month after I reduce the price 5 times and you know I have sold a LOT of binoculars on eBay!

Last edited:
Maybe in Holland. In the US Swaro is THE high-end brand to own. I never see a Zeiss or Leica scope or binocular out in the field or for that matter in the stores. All Swaro's especially spotters.

You must live in Swaro Land. I see plenty of Swarovski, but I also see good shares of Leica and Zeiss ... and lots of Nikon and Vortex.

Maybe in Holland. In the US Swaro is THE high-end brand to own. I never see a Zeiss or Leica scope or binocular out in the field or for that matter in the stores. All Swaro's especially spotters. I am not saying Swaro's are better than Leica's or Zeiss. They just market them better and they sell better in the US. I can sell a Swaro in a day on ebay for full price whereas, a Leica or Zeiss takes me a month after I reduce the price 5 times and you know I have sold a LOT of binoculars on eBay!

Ok....... and how must I see that in the light of earlier messages where you stated that Swaro and other alpha's were dead and buried because of the same quality Asian bins/brands offer for 1/4th of the price?

Jan

I can see we are going to have to spend several hundred posts dissecting the exact phrasing Swarovski has used in their marketing spiel, and compare it to a growing number of control Mark I eyeball results, to see whether Swarovski is making legitimate claims, or has jumped aboard the marketing guff and bunkum bandwagon 'up to and more than' their eyeballs .....

Chosun, that sounds like an extremely precise prediction, so I have to ask:
Are you

a. A fortune teller?
c. An accountant?
c. Just a pessimist?
d. All of a., b. and c.?

;)

Ok....... and how must I see that in the light of earlier messages where you stated that Swaro and other alpha's were dead and buried because of the same quality Asian bins/brands offer for 1/4th of the price?
Jan

Sssssschhhhooooossh!! We're supposed to have forgotten those posts and the Mavens that were voted higher than Swaros. September seems a long way off right now.

My point is based on resale Swarovski's are what people buy in my area when they want a premium binocular. When I list a Swaro on eBay I have 150 hit's in a day and when I list a Zeiss or Leica it takes two months to get 150 hits. The difference is unbelievable really. An indicator of what the stores sell is what they have in stock and in my area, my stores have a huge display of Swaro's, a huge display of Vortex, and a smaller spattering of less expensive Nikon's and Leupold's. They might have one Zeiss Conquest HD and one Leica HD Trinovid so they don't sell very many of either. No Zeiss SF's or Leica Noctivid's at all. They don't sell many Zeiss or Leica in the US as far as I can see especially their alpha's. I am not saying one alpha is the best. I am just observing what sells.

Last edited:
Chosun, that sounds like an extremely precise prediction, so I have to ask:
Are you

a. A fortune teller?
c. An accountant?
c. Just a pessimist?
d. All of a., b. and c.?

;)

Lol :-O

I do have quite a few visions (and have a crystal ball ! - well pendants really :) , not a certified accountant (though I did manage a HD in it last time I walked the halls of academia) , and I'm definitely not a pessimist !

Put it down to this not being my first rodeo ! :-O ;)

Chosun :gh:

..... In the US Swaro is THE high-end brand to own.....

Dennis - make sure you get the "Ambassador" package when you order your new NL.

This consists of a half price 'embossed' forehead rest, and a further 10% off on top of any existing discounts ..... well worth it I reckon ! :cat:

Of course the reason for this becomes obvious once you've used the binocular with attachments. When you get home and look in the mirror for the first time, you'll see that the embossed forehead rest pad has permanently 'branded' you with a raised tattoo reading 'Swarovski NL' ..... a small price to pay donchathink ?! :-O 3:)

Dennis - make sure you get the "Ambassador" package when you order your new NL.

This consists of a half price 'embossed' forehead rest, and a further 10% off on top of any existing discounts ..... well worth it I reckon ! :cat:

Of course the reason for this becomes obvious once you've used the binocular with attachments. When you get home and look in the mirror for the first time, you'll see that the embossed forehead rest pad has permanently 'branded' you with a raised tattoo reading 'Swarovski NL' ..... a small price to pay donchathink ?! :-O 3:)

Chosun:gh:. REALLY!:king:

Why in the world would a user want a headrest for a small 8x32 binocular.

Not needed, think about it. It may help with the 10 or 12X, but not the 8X,
IMHO.

Jerry

Canip, Gijs and Jan thank you for providing some relevant info regarding the NLs. Especially the ergomomics. Nice to always gain valuable info from those who have experience with "the glass" and of which is unbiased.

Andy W.

Why in the world would a user want a headrest for a small 8x32 binocular.

Not needed, think about it. It may help with the 10 or 12X, but not the 8X,
IMHO.

Jerry

Not quite, Jerry. According to the SPIE Field Guide the daylight efficiency for hand-held vs. tripod-supported* instruments increases from ~5.8 to 8 at 8x magnification. Of course, the improvement is greater at 10x and 12x, but it's still worth having.

Ed

* The new headrest is probably not as effective as a tripod, but human engineering lab experiments could easily tell the story. They would be so easy to do I'm somewhat surprised that Swaro didn't report any.

Not quite, Jerry. According to the SPIE Field Guide the daylight efficiency for hand-held vs. tripod-supported* instruments increases from ~5.8 to 8 at 8x magnification. Of course, the improvement is greater at 10x and 12x, but it's still worth having.

Ed

* The new headrest is probably not as effective as a tripod, but human engineering lab experiments could easily tell the story. They would be so easy to do I'm somewhat surprised that Swaro didn't report any.

Ed: You are correct, a simple headrest thing is not a tripod. I have lots
of experience with binoculars mounted on a tripod. Usually 15X is the
most common binocular with this use.
I stand by my thought of 8X. Monkeying around with a headrest on that one
leads me to wonder about the health of the user......good grief.

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back