• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

Ross's, Tundras and Barneys in east Norfolk today

and a lovely sunset around Horsey with cranes bugling away

I've started a webpage of Past Glories for my local patch... to inspire me and to marvel at the untapped potential on offer... http://www.freewebs.com/eastnorfolkbirding/pastglories.htm

Tim

Speaking of past glories - I uncovered this gem not too long ago about Emma Louise Turner, who in 1911 photographed Norfolks first breeding Bitterns for 40 years near Rush Hill scrape.

"concealed beneath marsh litter, despite slowly sinking into the swamp I watched and waited. During the lengthy sessions Snipe and Redshank constantly settled on me; on one occasion four Redshank and a Snipe running over me together"

Miss Emma Turner - we salute you!

Last edited:
Can't imagine many present day photographers spending hours half submerged in mud and covered in dead reeds to 'get the shot'. Respect.
John Aitchison came pretty close in last week's Bill Oddie programme, spending seven hours lying in a 'shallow grave' on a beach in the winter, covered by boards with stones on top. All that to produce some stunning footage of Knot at eye level.

I must admit Miss Emma Louise Turner does sound a very impressive lady.:t:

Ron

Hi all.

Me and fellow 'backwater birder' 'Bun' have just returned from a four day trip to Norfolk. It was really superb. I would just like to thank the Norfolk birders, especially Tim and Sue for the gen they offered us before the trip - we scored with all sites!

Saw lots of amazing things which I know you Norfolk birders are used too, also saw many of the rarities/scarcities which have been present recently (Waxwing, Sparrow, etc...). But here are some of the sightings which may be of local interest:
Six Whooper Swans (4 ads, 2 imms) in fields off minor road south of Burham Market (towards Creake), also a Green Sand besides a dyke near South Creake on Tues 15th. A Tundra Bean Goose between Stiffkey and Cockthorpe with Pink-feet and Greylag (also 15th)
Jack Snipe on Holkham Freshmarsh (no Shorelarks anywhere in sight!) with a Firecrest in the woods.
Five adult Cranes on Heigham Holmes on Mon 14th mid afternoon showing well.
Off Holme yesterday (we parked in a carpark then walked along track over golfcourse to view sea): a flock of eight Scaup (incl. 2+ ad drakes) - they drifted E with the current, a Long-tailed Duck and a surprise imm Pom Skua close west.
Yesterday afternoon/evening whilst watching the Grey Grey Shrike at Roydon at least five Hen Harriers came in to roost ncluding one ad male and one tiny immature male.

Attached is our trip diary listing all our sightings with a few photos. Thanks again for the sites guys |:$|

Attachments

• Norfolk.doc
    461.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Long Eared Owl

Dudes.

Please can anybody tell me of a place/area where it would be possible to see a long eared owl. I have no idea where to look for one and haven't seen one for a few years now. I really am itching to see one. I live in the Dereham area so am pretty much able to reach all corners of the county.

If anyone can pm me helpful info, I will appreciate it greatly.

Many thanks.
John.

In my experience Long-eared Owl is one of the few species that really seems to suffer from disclosure of wintering sites. Perhaps they are transitory anyway but it seems that any roost site that becomes well known is soon abandoned by the birds. Perhaps I'm over-cautious but I'd think hard before disclosing the whereabouts of any roost.

Dudes.

Please can anybody tell me of a place/area where it would be possible to see a long eared owl. I have no idea where to look for one and haven't seen one for a few years now. I really am itching to see one. I live in the Dereham area so am pretty much able to reach all corners of the county.

If anyone can pm me helpful info, I will appreciate it greatly.

Many thanks.
John.
Hi firefox,
i'd agree that there probably are some Leo roosts in the county, but people keep them quiet because they can quite easily get ruined, from my experiences down south i feel this is definitely the best thing for the sake of the birds.
I've been extremely lucky/jammy and found a number of roosts over the years (in sussex) and there do seem to be some common factors to where they roost. They seem to like steep embankments with very thick cover so they can look in front but don't have to worry about what is behind them, railway embankments and wooded islands also seem to be a favourite. Of course even if the habitat is good for roosting they need suitable hunting grounds nearby as well, i.e. rough pastures and over grown fields. Scan thick cover of medium size trees - willow, rhodedendron, I know all this is a long shot but searching is always half the fun - i am certain theres a lot out there waiting to be found.

Failing that do lots and lots of seawatching! i've had 3 fly in off in favourable wind conditions in autumn, i.e northerlies with squally showers, usually when alot of other stuff is flying past, all these sighting have been in the afternoon, there does seem to be a bias towards blakeney eastward although i believe holme's good as well, also once they have flown in they sometimes can be seen in dunes/scrub at coastal sites i.e winterton, waxham, cley etc.
Also looking in bird reports can help, if you have say the last 5 years norfolk bird reports you may be able to detect some common threads / locations. Good luck

no sign of GG shrike yesterday near West Beckham but a Black Brant near Hempstead (which is the Hempstead near Holt not the Hempstead near Eccles on Sea).

4 drake Mandarin strutting their stuff today at Felbrigg Hall and 3 ducks, also the Waxwing is still at Rainbow Food Store at Cromer.

White Crowned Sparrow still at Cley for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

Weather does not look good for weekend - don't forget your waterproofs!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Today at UEA- weather was pretty poor with it peeing down with rain this morning, Fleeting views of a kingfisher on the broad, loads of siskin and couple of redpoll around the broad, flock of bramblings, one or two marsh tits (well assumed they were marsh), couple of great spotted woodpeckers, one, possibly two nuthatches ion the feeders along with other more common tits and finches sadly no hawfinches. Didn't see any goosander but watched a brief mating dance from a pair of great crested grebes which was lovely. Hoping the weather improves for tomorrow. If so, might try for them again.

East Norfolk this morning

Ross's Goose
2 Tundras
White-fronted Goose
and eight fresh-in Greylags that were surely wild birds, being extremely pale underneath, almost a buffish white.
and Steve Lister!

details on my website later.

Had an Iceland Gull west past Holme Golfcourse this morning at 9:52am. A nice find and although the day sort of fizzled out in predictable fashion, 12 Lapland Buntings (including 7 regularly returning to the same field) and 7 Twite meant the day was rounded of nicely!

For more info visit my blog.

Cheers,

Connor

Didn't go out until late today, but still had a very good bird;) a Bittern coming into roost at 4.15pm!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

(Year List 107)

Good Omen - Great Day!

Had a cracking day in Norfolk today - first visit this year.

Arrived at Cley 0845 - WC Sparrow showing on the driveway as we arrived, managed to get decent views through the gate (crouching at the front of the crowd) for about 5 minutes before it dissapeared. At this point about half of the people present moved on and left about 15 of us waiting for it to show again. During the next twenty minutes or so, the odd Robin, Chaffinch, Dunnock & Greenfinch came down onto the drive to feed, accompanied by no less than 8 Blackbirds (including one really mean looking male!), but no Sparrow. A few minutes later it became apparent that it was showing in the brambles behind us, where it showed well for about the next 3/4 hour - mainly feeding around the bush with the nest in it.

What a smashing bird! Although it never really came out into the open, it was often in the top of the bush, allowing a really good look, and looked good it did, especially at 60x! Brilliant.

Had a chat to the chap with the collecting bucket (after giving my donation), who was saying that they were hoping to go for the Guiness record for a collection, and at that point thought they had raised about £2500 - great stuff, i hope you managed it.

We left the site about 10, moving on to Salthouse for the buntings which although quite flighty, gave excellent views. Only one Lapland Bunting present today, but a welcome year tick none the less; more striking was the really white snow Bunting amongst the flock, not seen one like this before. Also saw 2 RT Divers on the sea before moving on to Cley Visitor centre (old).

No sign of the Water Pipits, in fact no sign of any birds at all in the field, so a quick scan of the reserve added Shelduck & Avocet to the year list - nice bird for my 100th of the year!

From here went to Saxlingham to look for the Lesser Snow Goose which had been reported. This was birding made easy - from the corner overlooking the field, the goose stood out like a beacon! We then moved just around the corner to get a closer look at the geese, where we were told about the 3 Barnacles in the field too. At this point the news came though that the possible Slender-billed Gull at Sheringham was believed to be a hybrid - with what we wondered, three other birders who were there, offered Bittern as a suggestion!! (Hi if you're reading this & cheers for the Barnies).

After this we were going to try for the Twite reported earlier in the week at Brancaster Staithe on the way to Titchwell, but decided against it as we also wanted to get to Roydon and we knew time would be tight, so straight to Tichwell we went.

After a cuppa & sarnie (plus the usual Robin feeding out of your hand) we decided to quickly get some yearticks then move on to Roydon. There was a group of people along the path towards the visitor centre who were looking at the roosting Woodcock, following directions, we finally managed to see it asleep, quite deep in the undergrowth - took some finding, but after it was located, it was obvious, but there were some still struggling to see it (i hope you all got it!).

All the usual on the reserve, quickly picked out Black Brant in the field and very pleased to catch up with the wintering Spotted Redshank (saw it in December), and a lone Grey Plover. Also a very striking Ruff with a white head on the freshwater lagoon.

Not a great deal on the sea - a distand raft of Common Scoter, a single Eider & Goldeneye, and a couple of RT Divers. All the grebes I saw were Great-crested (no Red-necked as reported - at the same time we were there).

As it was now getting on, we moved on to Roydon Common, arriving at 1515. After plenty of scanning, we realised that we were probably too late for the Shrike so we waited for the Harriers to come in. Loads of Red-legged Partridges in the field with the bee-hives (i counted at least 10, but probably more) and we could hear a couple of Greys, but couldnt find them from our viewpoint.

By now the light was starting to go - whilst scanning for Harriers, i picked out a Merlin perched on a post - a welcome bonus - before two ringtails appeared, quatering above the heather for about 20 minutes before they went down. No sign of any males by this time.

As it was now raining quite heavily and it was getting quite dark we decided to call it a day.

Overall, a great day - 2 lifers (Sparrow & Snow Goose) and several year ticks. By far the commonest bird of the day though was Barn Owl!

Our first was on the A17 near Holbeach, in the dark. The second was in the field behind the Cley Village Hall car park. The Third in the field next to In Focus at Tictchwell and the Fourth quatering the reedbed on Titchwell reserve (accompanied by 2 Marsh Harriers!). I think this is the first time i've ever seen 4 Barn Owls in one day - they were certainly a good omen!

Anyway, an excellent day (as always) and i'll be back to do the same again a week on Monday - can't wait!!

Mike

Last edited:
Coming down for a few days tomorrow,where's best for Lapland Bunting,Salthouse or Thornham?

You'll get better views and it will be easier at Salthouse, but probably more birds at Thornham if you are prepared to put the time in (but mostly calling in flight. They're hard to see on the deck here...) Also probably more chance of dipping if you go to Thornham.

Connor

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back