• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

My dads coming up to Coventry from Barnstaple next week & I said I would take him for the WCS in Cley on the 15th but he still needs Twite as a lifer. Has anybody got any reliable sites along the coast between Cley & Hunstanton.

Mike.

There haven't been any reported on the pager since Jan 23rd when 65 were reported at Titchwell. Prior to that a flock of 30 had been seen around Brancaster Staithe for a few days.

Normally Thornham Harbour has been a good place to see them but I don't think any have been reported there this year, unless anyone knows differently.

John

My dads coming up to Coventry from Barnstaple next week & I said I would take him for the WCS in Cley on the 15th but he still needs Twite as a lifer. Has anybody got any reliable sites along the coast between Cley & Hunstanton.

Mike.

There haven't been any reported on the pager since Jan 23rd when 65 were reported at Titchwell. Prior to that a flock of 30 had been seen around Brancaster Staithe for a few days.

Normally Thornham Harbour has been a good place to see them but I don't think any have been reported there this year, unless anyone knows differently.

John

I have seen Twite on the puddle by the 90 degree bend near the gate halfway between Holme and Thornham from the seabank in the middle of January. They have been reported intermittently since then too. Between here and the sea out in the marsh is a traditional spot for them.
Sue

The Long Stratton DB Barn Owl put on a very good show tonight, stunning weather and little wind made all the difference after last nights rain and bitter chill!! sadly the Short Eared didn't show but may still be in the area.

Was saying earlier to Ruralchill I'm very tempted to rummage out some fenceposts to aid better perched shots!!!

A couple of shots from tonight, plus the Short Eared from last night, with the right equipment (which I obviously don't have!!) and a little time someone could get some blinding shots of the DB, an interesting and beautiful bird that deserves to be well documented.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Me and the OH are coming to look for your owls tomorrow (Sunday) if you fancy meeting up again.

Take care

Jo

Hi Matt,

Me and the OH are coming to look for your owls tomorrow (Sunday) if you fancy meeting up again.

Take care

Jo

Look forward to it!!

Will PM you about times and stuff...

For anyone hoping for pics or views of the bird perching four posts now in place along a shallow drainage ditch that runs along to the south east corner, viewable from the pond....hopefully by doing this people won't feel the need to wander and disturb the bird while it's hunting!!

Matt

Last edited:

John

Although the Twite haven't been regularly seen at Thornham this year, I do know a couple of people who've seen them there, so they're not far away.

Had a successful day today. A bit of twitching involved as I could only get out at 14:00ish (heavy night last night) and wanted to maximise my time.

The plan was to head to Burnham Overy Dunes for the Great Grey Shrike, poping in on the way to see the Whooper Swans west of North Creak. Located the swans fairly easily in a ploughed field with Pink-feet. 8 in all, with 3 being adults.

On route to Burnham Overy I stopped in a lay-by a little way along Beacon Hill Road. Shut off the engine and wind the windows down, and theres the chirpy call of a flipping Tree Sparrow! After all that palarva I put myself through searching for them, I find them when I least expect it! I think there were about 2, but only got breif glimpses. Figured it may be worthwhile wandering up and down this road, and it turned out it was. Massive mixed finch flock feeding in a grassy field by the road produced 2 Corn Buntings! Never seen these away from Choseley, so was well pleased. The rest of the flock consisted of around 50 Linnets with a few Yellowhammers, Goldfinches and a Reed Bunting. Super!

Now onto B. O. Staithe dunes at around 16:45. 6 Snow Buntings were present just off the footpath, feeding on the strandline, completely oblivious to any passers-by. Only about 3 meters from the path. Great Grey Shrike showed nicely just off the north of the board walk. I just got comfortable in the dunes with my scope trained on the shrike and sat there for about an hour just watching it. Beauty of a bird. Would undertake fairly frequent feeding forays, spotting an insect high above, climbing to catch it (amazing vision) and then returning to its pirch to devour it prey. It was catching fairly large insects which could have been bees (seen a fair few already). Coughed up a pellet after 2 such expeditions. It was also regularly mobbed by Meadow Pipits. Also had another Snow Bunt over whilst I was lying there staring at the sky. Incredibly mild evening, with next to no wind. I just laid there in a t-shirt. Haven't been that chilled out in ages! Beautiful sunset over the marsh, with Burnham Overy mill in the foreground.

Aahhh...

Jason

Attachments

• shrikey.JPG
    shrikey.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Although the Twite haven't been regularly seen at Thornham this year, I do know a couple of people who've seen them there, so they're not far away.

Three friends and i came to Norfolk for two days between Christmas and New Year. We had a flock of 9 Twite in the harbour at first light on the morning of 28 December.:t:

Did not go out until late afternoon, due to family stuff. Took me hour and a half (be warned if you are coming this way) to get from King's Lynn to Holme, because of the traffic lights being installed at Heacham by the Lavendar fields, was queing for ages and also while sitting in queue there were 3 horrible men with guns shooting down hares in the stubble field immediately next the main road, I was absolutely livid watching these hares run for their lives, obviously some didn't make it.:C:-C

Went to Titchwell late pm with my sister and was just scanning with scope along the beach and realised I was looking at a Peregrine sitting on the beach!!!!!!!! (4.45pm) it got up and so did all the waders! 1 slavonian grebe on the sea, along with loads of common scooter. On the way back I counted my biggest ever count of Marsh Harriers coming into roost - 13!!!!!!!!! couldn't believe it, Barn Owl too and several little egrets in the beautiful sunset, coming into roost. 2 Black Brants, several spotted redshanks, goldeneye, pintail and several reed buntings. Woodcock flew over the carpark in the dusk.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
That's terrible about those poor hares!

Yesterday a walk around the woods off Larkman lane, Norwich produced one female marsh harrier heading towards the river Yare.

Went to Titchwell late pm with my sister and was just scanning with scope along the beach and realised I was looking at a Peregrine sitting on the beach!!!!!!!! (4.45pm) it got up and so did all the waders! 1 slavonian grebe on the sea, along with loads of common scooter. On the way back I counted my biggest ever count of Marsh Harriers coming into roost - 13!!!!!!!!! couldn't believe it, Barn Owl too and several little egrets in the beautiful sunset, coming into roost. 2 Black Brants, several spotted redshanks, goldeneye, pintail and several reed buntings. Woodcock flew over the carpark in the dusk.

Cracking number of harriers Penny. As far as I am aware that is the highest count in the 6 winters I have been here and could be a reserve record. I will have a look and see if there are any more this week.

Quiet on the reserve today although avocet numbers are now on the rise with at least 40 on the lagoons, 2 slavs, 60 GC grebes and 35 eider offshore.

Paul

John

The record of 65 at Titchwell in January was unconfirmed and there has been a large flock of linnets regularly on the saltmarsh near the beach boardwalk although there were records of 7 and 9 during the month. I had a look in Brancaster harbour last weekend and counldn't find any.

2 lapland buntings feeding on the short vegetation by the beach boardwalk on Friday.

Paul

Some rather fine pics of the Stratton Dark Breasted Barn Owl courtesy of Robin Chittenden..

http://www.harlequinpictures.co.uk/content/gallery.aspx?searchText=dark-breasted barn owl

The bird was very showy tonight, along with the Alba male and Short Eared Owl seemingly vying for the attention from those present! Nice crowd and gorgeous weather made for a nice end to the weekend..

Matt

damn it... I was planning on coming over for it this afternoon but couldn't make it. I just hope it shows well again when I get there, hopefully tomorrow.

I ended up popping out to try for my local barn owls, but failed to see a single one. I did get a nice consolation prize though, I had great views of a stoat, ended up watching it for ~30 minutes.

Attachments

• stoat_100208_0027.jpg
    stoat_100208_0027.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 84
They certainly put on quite a show! Also finally managed to find a (drake) goosander at UEA this morning. And a pair of egyptian geese guarding a hole in a dead tree. They saw off another pair that was eyeing it up, so I assume they are planning to raise a family there. Unfortunately not much was around the rabbit compound- perhaps because there wasn't much in the way of bird food in the feeders. I shall be uploading some pics tomorrow but I'm afraid my shots of the owls leave a lot to be desired!

Cracking number of harriers Penny. As far as I am aware that is the highest count in the 6 winters I have been here and could be a reserve record. I will have a look and see if there are any more this week.

Paul

Hi Paul

Yes it was the most I have EVER counted there, I have never seen more than maybe 3 together!! When it first occured I counted 3 or 4, then I got excited because more and more kept appearing!, I recounted again and counted 5, then again and counted 7, then 9, then 11 and then for the last and final count, I had a clear 13, it could have been more, but I like to under count rather than over count. A few other people were watching as well, another lady got to 9, I couldn't quite believe I had just counted 13 Marsh Harriers!!!! On the way back to centre I just caught Paul Roney as he was leaving and reported it to him.

Tried and missed the D-b on Saturday morning (the only time we could get over) but managed the S-e and met two very pleasant local birders - nice to meet you lads.

Also managed wacton on sunday - smashing views and nice to see the short-eared and barn owls at the same time - very instructive as to different flight patterns. Impressive display of primroses and lesser Celendine on the banks by the common as well.

Driving along the Acle Straight on Saturday morning I had a marsh harrier glide across the road at eye level about 10 yards ahead - smashing view. Also a Chinese Water deer stood by the dyke in full view, completely unconcerned by the cars not 10yds away.

In other news, there's been reports of both Grass Snakes and Adders this week, while some folk have hedgehogs in their gardens already. The weekend saw a flurry of Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell sightings, so I would expect Comma to be out soon. If anyone has any butterfly records I'd welcome them at [email protected]

Back from holiday in Wales (trip report on my blog). Few bits and pieces rptd in Norfolk over the last couple of days, G G Shrikes at Kelling Heath, Grimes Graves and Burnham Ovary Dunes, Woodlark at Holkham (and another at Flamborough, East Yorks. Sure signs of Spring?) and R L Buzzard at Burnham Norton.

Connor

Would anyone mind giving me some advice on seawatching at Holme? I've never tried, but would like to have a look in at the 20 or so LT Ducks that are being seen there, as well as any chance of winter grebes that may be present.

The question is; where is it best to view from? I've read things about the golf course being a good vantage point. Can anyone elaborate?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back