• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A small insight into the attitudes of pigeon fanciers (1 Viewer)

totaljohn

man-e-faces
http://forum.pigeonbasics.com/m-1235165935/

i suppose anyone remotely interested in wild birds of prey is well aware of the particular animosities harboured toward them by certain interested parties. however, sometimes it comes as a slight shock to witness them being so brazen about it.

i wonder if they have licences for those .22s... i know my sister used to shoot and all the rifles had to be kept under lock and key behind a reinforced door at the club.. apparently you can now just keep one in the kitchen handy for when old mrs. nisus attacks.

i suppose anyone remotely interested in wild birds of prey is well aware of the particular animosities harboured toward them by certain interested parties. however, sometimes it comes as a slight shock to witness them being so brazen about it.

i wonder if they have licences for those .22s... i know my sister used to shoot and all the rifles had to be kept under lock and key behind a reinforced door at the club.. apparently you can now just keep one in the kitchen handy for when old mrs. nisus attacks.

It would be bad enough if it was only Pigeon Racers, but it's not. Raptors aren't cute and fluffy so there are so called "Bird Lovers" that hate them.

I'm afraid the .22s are the least of the Raptors' problems, "do gooders", bad science, and people that have no idea how Nature "works" are far more dangerous, IMHO.

That forum is just shocking. Whilst some of it may just be bravado, what some of them are doing is every bit as bad as keepers shooting harriers.

If I personally saw anyone near me using anything like traps etc. I'd on them like a ton of bricks.

And it's all for some bloody tame pigeons! So we're going to use blatantly cruel, illegal and destructive measures to ensure that some people with far too much time on their hands can race pigeons without them being got. Which is more important, some minority pastime or the nation's biodiversity???

Don't confuse .22 air rifles (which is what they are talking about) with 22 rifles. You don't need a licence for the former.

I'm surprised by the brazenness too. The guy who offers a "100% solution" and invites PMs would be worth investigating if any wildlife crime officer cared to follow it up, I'm sure.

Mike

Don't confuse .22 air rifles (which is what they are talking about) with 22 rifles. You don't need a licence for the former.
oh my bad, thanks.

edit: on second look i'm finding most of this forum very difficult to read due to a flagrant disregard for punctuation among its posters.

Last edited:
Pigeon Keepers

My advice would be to monitor this site but keep out of the discussion as I'm sure it will be monitored.This site and other pigeon keeping sites have been disgust on other forums.It would be a good idea to contact the police wildlife liaison Officer and other interested parties by private e mail and not open forums.

there was a piece in the dialy express yesterday by pigeon fanciers claiming birds of prey such as peregrines and sparrowhawk numbers had spiralled out of control and 100,000 racing pigeons were lost to these birds, which needed to be culled.

That makes the letters page of the Daily Mail seem well-informed...at least the people who write to them can spell and know when to use punctuation...

What is quite interesting is, viewing other pigeon fancying sites, there seems to be a common belief that the RSPB is "seeding" raptors into certain areas, or "breeding them and letting them go". Very strange!

In addition, it is quite entertaining to read sites such as this petition where the petitioners all catastrophically miss the reason for declines in songbirds (i.e. being largely not down to a resurgence in predators). However with c. 260 signatures I don't think the RSPB should be that concerned...

Last edited:
What is quite interesting is, viewing other pigeon fancying sites, there seems to be a common belief that the RSPB is "seeding" raptors into certain areas, or "breeding them and letting them go". Very strange!

In addition, it is quite entertaining to read sites such as this petition where the petitioners all catastrophically miss the reason for declines in songbirds (i.e. being largely not down to a resurgence in predators). However with c. 260 signatures I don't think the RSPB should be that concerned...

LOL, I like that petition, where's the "Save the Zebras" one, we can't let these Lions keep killing Zebras.;)

It would be bad enough if it was only Pigeon Racers, but it's not. Raptors aren't cute and fluffy so there are so called "Bird Lovers" that hate them.

I'm afraid the .22s are the least of the Raptors' problems, "do gooders", bad science, and people that have no idea how Nature "works" are far more dangerous, IMHO.

Unfortunately I think you're absolutely right. It is abundantly clear to the simple minded that Sparrowhawks are rapidly working their way through the songbird population and clearly need to be culled before they start on puppies and small children. Red Kites are manifestly sturdy enough to whisk away and devour Labradors, and Hen Harriers have destroyed the rural economy which is why the powers that be will continue to look studiously the other way while the remaining few are mopped-up. It you think things are bad now wait until the mega landowners and their chums start running the country in a few months time. |=@|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back