• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap !!! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Hi all, Had a Blackcap in my garden this morning :t: , he was on top of the conifer trees, lovely Jet Black crown, it is the first I have spotted in my garden since March. I thought the Robin was looking agitated !!!! Gold and Greenfinches have returned to the feeders aswell, blackbirds numbers are up and also the Tits. Autumn days !!!! |=)|

Pam_m said:
Hi all, Had a Blackcap in my garden this morning

How lovely to have a Blackcap. They only visit my garden very rarely and then in the depths of winter.

Bridie

Pam_m said:
Hi all, Had a Blackcap in my garden this morning :t: , he was on top of the conifer trees, lovely Jet Black crown, it is the first I have spotted in my garden since March. I thought the Robin was looking agitated !!!! Gold and Greenfinches have returned to the feeders aswell, blackbirds numbers are up and also the Tits. Autumn days !!!! |=)|

Hi Pam :hi: I've had a male and a female visit each Winter for a few years now. No Idea if it's a pair or the same two birds even :h?: Last year I had five of them for a while so I can't wait to see what this year brings....

Pam_m said:

Ah the delightful blackcap. Had a male and two females last year, but none yet so far this year, spotted only in my local woods.

Hi Pam,
What a nice sight aren't they?
Always welcome to my garden but they are quite a rareity here though I have seen them on a few occassions.
I'm not sure whether they don't like my choice of food??
What was yours feeding on?
Maybe I should change my menu?? lol!!
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth, It was great to see the Blackcap yesterday morning, lovely little bird!! He didn't come down to feed (when I spotted him anyway!), he was scanning the garden from the tops of the conifer trees. He was probably eyeing up the fat balls, I only added these to the feeders last week, so its looking hopeful !! Apparently they prefer natural foods like berries in the Winter but when scarce they will go for fats, bread and cheese. Good Luck, hope you get some in soon!!!

Ruth Daniel said:
Hi Pam,
What a nice sight aren't they?
Always welcome to my garden but they are quite a rareity here though I have seen them on a few occassions.
I'm not sure whether they don't like my choice of food??
What was yours feeding on?
Maybe I should change my menu?? lol!!
Best wishes,

Mine fed on the peanuts in the feeder and the big fat bars that i hang out too. I never saw them feeding on the bird table where i put seeds. Looking forward to their return. All the food i buy is from the RSPB, i never buy anywhere else, just because of trust i guess!

kush23uk said:
Mine fed on the peanuts in the feeder and the big fat bars that i hang out too. I never saw them feeding on the bird table where i put seeds. Looking forward to their return. All the food i buy is from the RSPB, i never buy anywhere else, just because of trust i guess!

Oh yes and garden birds love grated cheese!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back