• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (6 Viewers)

Hornbill Friarbird isn't mentioned, unfortunately. For the moment, I can't recall which taxon is involved...

.......................MJB

Apparently a subspecies or close relative to the Helmeted Friarbird. Lives on the York Peninsula. In my first edition of the book, it is pictured on page 409 as ssp yorki.

Apparently a subspecies or close relative to the Helmeted Friarbird. Lives on the York Peninsula. In my first edition of the book, it is pictured on page 409 as ssp yorki.

Thank you Robert for refreshing my memory! However, IOC9.2 lumps in buceroides, which is not present in Australia, and so I think that IOC may need to do a rethink, since the revised Australian Bird Guide does indeed indicate yorki as occupying the Australian east coast from Rockhampton north. Certainly above Cooktown, people call the Helmeted taxon 'Hornbill Friarbird'...
MJB

Hornbill Friarbird is now split by the IOC according to my Scythebill programme though it notes 'species status may be dubious and awaits results of new studies in progress. May be enedemic NE Australian species or more likely conspecific with New Guinea / Helmeted Friarbird complex.'

.....the only ones that are a nice size for field use are the venerable Slater and the field edition of Morecombe.

My long awaited Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds is imminent also, I now have an advance copy......

I've opted to bring field edition of Morecombe with me on my visit as, whilst the illustrations are a disappointment, at least I can carry the thing in the field! I really can't understand why they're not bringing out a field version of the Aus guide - it must be possible.

Really looking forward to seeing your BoP book next week as I know what a labour of love it's been.

All very confusing, IOC split Hornbill Friarbird some years back, and the ABG says it follows IOC taxonomy, which in this case it does not. "Helmeted Friarbird" badly needs splitting up, the NT birds are clearly different and of two distinct taxa, and this Cape York taxon is pretty distinctive too, make sure you see it when in FNQ.

Hornbill Friarbird isn't mentioned, unfortunately. For the moment, I can't recall which taxon is involved...

Body size measurements seem occasional, so probably little change there.

I did see Fawn-breasted Bowerbird at Lockhardt...

By the way, did you have a tour group starting from Cairns on 31 October? It only occurred to us that the group who were at the gassy area just past the north end of the Esplanade were hurrying off because their tour leader, Philip, was waiting for them? If so, we missed each other by less than 100 metres!
MJB
Not me, I was en route to Madagascar. Glad you saw Fawn-breasted Bowerbird

Hornbill Friarbird is now split by the IOC according to my Scythebill programme though it notes 'species status may be dubious and awaits results of new studies in progress. May be enedemic NE Australian species or more likely conspecific with New Guinea / Helmeted Friarbird complex.'

Thanks for that, Andy!
MJB

I spent some time yesterday browsing Phil Gregory's book on "Birds of Paradise & Bowerbirds" (I'm currently staying with the author who kindly gave me a copy for my small role in reading the proofs etc). Put simply the text is superb & authoritative and is well matched by Richard Allen's superlative plates. That's not just my opinion as an authority on the birds has called it "a remarkably
comprehensive and fine piece of work". A must buy.c

I spent some time yesterday browsing Phil Gregory's book on "Birds of Paradise & Bowerbirds" (I'm currently staying with the author who kindly gave me a copy for my small role in reading the proofs etc). Put simply the text is superb & authoritative and is well matched by Richard Allen's superlative plates. That's not just my opinion as an authority on the birds has called it "a remarkably comprehensive and fine piece of work". A must buy.c

That's a nicely satisfying moment for you, John!:t:
Regards also to Phil and Sue!
MJB
PS That Cassowary's bigger than you - don't carry fruit near it and keep it at a distance...!

I spent some time yesterday browsing Phil Gregory's book on "Birds of Paradise & Bowerbirds" (I'm currently staying with the author who kindly gave me a copy for my small role in reading the proofs etc). Put simply the text is superb & authoritative and is well matched by Richard Allen's superlative plates. That's not just my opinion as an authority on the birds has called it "a remarkably
comprehensive and fine piece of work". A must buy.c

Got mine on pre-order but Feb in the UK?

There is an exhibition in Torroella de Montgri from November 2019 to April 2020 titled Tots els ocells i mamífers del món. 30 anys de Lynx Edicions on the 30th anniversary of Lynx Edicions.

There is also a special publication on this exhibition (in Spanish)

https://www.lynxeds.com/product/tot...n-30-anys-de-lynx-edicions-cataleg-exposicio/

I've got my copy today. The largest part consists of plates. There is also an English and Spanish translation in the book. They also reveal that there will be one volume of the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World and that Ilian Velikov will create the primate illustrations in this work.

I've got my copy today. The largest part consists of plates. There is also an English and Spanish translation in the book. They also reveal that there will be one volume of the Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World and that Ilian Velikov will create the primate illustrations in this work.

Only Lynx could produce a sales catalogue and make people buy it.

Information on the history of the various projects could easily be presented on the website but why would they do that when they can get people to pay for it............

Last edited:
Tots els ocells i mamifers del mon is not a sales catalogue, but an exhibition catalogue and you would expect to pay for it.

Call it what you like, it's a cleverly crafted sales tool........

'The exhibition puts on display for the first time around a hundred of the original plates that illustrate Lynx Edicions’ flagship publications: the Handbook of the Birds of the World, the first work to describe and illustrate every species of bird in the world, and the Handbook of the Mammals of the World, which contains the most up-to-date and accurate information on every mammal species on our planet.

'The exhibition catalogue takes us on a voyage through the history of Lynx Edicions. It tells of how the publishing house was founded on the basis of what seemed to many an insane idea; the creation, for the first time ever, of an encyclopaedia covering every species of bird in the world. It describes the adversities experienced in the early years by the three founders, Ramon Mascort, Josep del Hoyo and Jordi Sargatal, and how they guided the work to a successful conclusion. Other projects also figure here, some of them part of our history and others planned for the future.

The catalogue includes the 75 plates of birds that are exhibited, by notable nature artists such as Hilary Burn, Francesc Jutglar, Ian Willis and Ian Lewington, among others. Also included are 14 plates showing a good selection of the groups that form the Class Mammalia, mostly drawn by the well-known artist Toni Llobet.

Finally, and in chronological order, all Lynx Edicions’ publications are presented, some 200 titles dedicated to the natural world.

Call it what you like, it's a cleverly crafted sales tool........[/B]

It depends whether you are interested to buy the reproductions of the plates which represent the largest part of the book. The product portfolio in this book consists of 26 pages (out of 154).

I hope you guys don’t mind me posting a bird book bargain in this thread. OK, it’s not an anticipated future book but I thought some of you would like to know that ‘The Birds Of The Iberian Peninsula’ is available from Postscript Books and priced at £19.99. The original price I gather was around £60. John Cantelo was kind enough to share his review some time ago in this thread.

Last edited:
I hope you guys don’t mind me posting a bird book bargain in this thread. OK, it’s not an anticipated future book but I thought some of you would like to know that ‘The Birds Of The Iberian Peninsula’ is available from Postscript Books and priced at £19.99. The original price I gather was around £60. John Cantelo was kind enough to share his review some time ago in this thread.

Thanks Bubbs,
always good to get notification of a bargain although I suspect that most of those who wanted this title already have it but please keep posting if you find others.

I post links myself when I find stuff at a good price, especially the pre-publication offers. I managed to pick up Bowerbirds for £36 and did post that link though some people though are steadfastly loyal to a particular seller.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. The contents of the book mentioned in my post are still (hopefully) relevant. Those late to the Iberian party (like me) will find this great book full of useful information.

Brazil, Kevin Zimmer & Andrew Whittaker is now listed by a couple of book suppliers as available from Oct / Nov 22.

Almost certainly based on these words

'In August 2019 Robert Kirk, senior editor at Princeton University Press, stated this book is due in Late Autumn 2022.'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back