• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

folding pocket monocular.... (4 Viewers)

gunut

Registered Offender
anybody know if the newer Noblex 8x21 is as good or better than the older Docter labeled units....and for that matter are you just better off staying with a clean Zeiss Turmon in good condition...??….

For me, a clean Turmon in very good condition is the best choice of the three.

Comparing the Docter with the Noblex, they appear virtually identical to me, I could not say the Docter or the Noblex is optically or mechanically better.

The Turmon is more nicely finished with its leatherette exterior, and the folding mechanism appears a bit more robust (I could be wrong on this). Its image has a slight yellow hue, which helps contrast, but not so much image brightness.
The Docter and Noblex exhibit better color fidelity, but to my eyes slightly less contrast; overall I prefer the image in the Turmon.

Just my 2 ct.

Out of curiosity, for those who have tried it. How would both the Noblex or the Turmon compare to a contemporary porro device like the Minox 8x24 macroscope. I think the Minox is a bit larger, but them it is argon purged and has a close focus of 0,3 meters. Any experience comparing those?
Thanks!

I have both the Minox and the Noblex. The Minox is huge, and they are not comparable in terms of portability at all. The Minox close-focus does work and is very useful. The view is better from the Minox, with a larger AFOV. Focusing is also much more convenient with its big ring as well. That said, either the Leica Monovid or the Nikon HG 5x15/7x15 are much better options.

Fazalmajid, thanks for the reply. Really interesting comments.
From a price perspective, I guess it is to be expected that Leica is superior (given that is 2 or 3 times more expensive). However, the Nikon sounds interesting. It is also more expensive, but not unduly so. I see that the Minox is indeed twice as heavy as the other, at 150 g. But then is a 25, not a 21 or 17. Which kind of suggests a brighter view.
I've read about the fact that you can use the Noblex as a kind of magnifying loupe (attached to a small prop/pole). How would you compare this ability in both the Noblex and the Nikon? Thanks again.

I've read about the fact that you can use the Noblex as a kind of magnifying loupe (attached to a small prop/pole). How would you compare this ability in both the Noblex and the Nikon? Thanks again.

I don't have the accessory lens(es), and they seems to be very hard to get. According to Hermann in this thread, they work quite well. He's referring to the Zeiss Turmon, not the Docter/Noblex but I doubt the optics have changed apart from coatings.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385172

The Minox and Leica (with close-up lens) are equivalent to a 8x loupe with a 20-30cm standoff distance, or a 5x loupe up close.

The Nikons dont't really have that level of close-up ability. Good enough to view details in the Mona Lisa, but not to read the fine print on a pill bottle.

I don't have the accessory lens(es), and they seems to be very hard to get. According to Hermann in this thread, they work quite well. He's referring to the Zeiss Turmon, not the Docter/Noblex but I doubt the optics have changed apart from coatings.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385172

The Minox and Leica (with close-up lens) are equivalent to a 8x loupe with a 20-30cm standoff distance, or a 5x loupe up close.

The Nikons dont't really have that level of close-up ability. Good enough to view details in the Mona Lisa, but not to read the fine print on a pill bottle.

Thanks for the clarification :) I've seen a good deal on the Minox, and since I've been really curious about it for a while (porro -bright?-, waterproof, close-up focus, etc.) I've decided to give it a try. Let's see how it performs. My idea is to always leave it on the rucksack, given its size and weight.

I keep my Minox at the office, so I only got to compare them today. Two other points: eye relief on the Docter/Noblex is terrible, whereas it is OK on the Minox Macroscope, if not as good as the Leica Monovid or Nikon HG 5x15 (and about the same as the Nikon HG 7x15).

The FOV in the specs is also misstated. Eyeballing it, the Macroscope linear FOV is double that of the Docter, not a mere 10% more.

I think you'll be happy with your purchase, as long as you can tolerate the relatively large size (about the same as the Leica Ultravid BL 8x20 binoculars).

... you'll be happy with your purchase, as long as you can tolerate the relatively large size (about the same as the Leica Ultravid BL 8x20 binoculars).
Wow, so large. Never thought about it in that way, but I guess the porro prisms and 25 mm lens take their toll. My experience with x20 binoculars is non existant, and with medium-low range x25 (Minox, Nikon) is not that satisfactory, hence my interest in something compact and light for a casual glance at something interesting, be it a bird on top of a building or a flower (at 150 g they're quite lighter than the 8x20 Ultravid at 240 g, and then I guess the case/cord for the UV will also be heavier).

I have Carson folding pocket monocular and it is too good. I purchased it from around two months ago. It is a worth buying for me. Its result is awesome and the body is also strong. I dropped it 4-5 times but it is still in good condition

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back