• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cookies-Where are they please!!! (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
I have had a pc prob for the last week or so now.The page keeps coming up which says "This page cannot be displayed" It pops up in between the sections,here,on WPF,I posted a thread,it was there in the section posted,but not displayed in the New posts,as the "Page" came up again.BT Yahoo e-mail is all over the spot,one opens the page,then when one clicks onto the e-mail box,it says that the page cannot be displayed,it could not even show the address book last week,but if one clicks off and then goes straight back on again ,it is fine.Things are very slow at time.
I accidentally downloaded the AVG spy buster instead of updating the AVG antivirus prog.After that ,things began to go wrong,I then removed the Antispy prog,(we do have Spybot),but I may have deleted some files .
Any ideas please.(Simply explained!!).

christineredgate said:
I have had a pc prob for the last week or so now.The page keeps coming up which says "This page cannot be displayed" It pops up in between the sections,here,on WPF,I posted a thread,it was there in the section posted,but not displayed in the New posts,as the "Page" came up again.BT Yahoo e-mail is all over the spot,one opens the page,then when one clicks onto the e-mail box,it says that the page cannot be displayed,it could not even show the address book last week,but if one clicks off and then goes straight back on again ,it is fine.Things are very slow at time.
I accidentally downloaded the AVG spy buster instead of updating the AVG antivirus prog.After that ,things began to go wrong,I then removed the Antispy prog,(we do have Spybot),but I may have deleted some files .

Have you got Windows XP? If so, your system takes backups of the system files periodically, can you restore it back to a time when all was working fine?

Paul,thanks,yes i guess when I did a scan,it did ask me if I wanted to delete the tempory internet files and I said yes.I have forgotten how to find the "restore " box

christineredgate said:
Paul,thanks,yes i guess when I did a scan,it did ask me if I wanted to delete the tempory internet files and I said yes.I have forgotten how to find the "restore " box
Hi Christine its

Start/ All Programs/ Accesories/ System Tools

best of luck

Stewart

christineredgate said:

It's in control panel/performance and maintenance\system restore in (the top left corner).
Be careful though, because you are messing around with system files, can you back up all the files you want to a CD first? It's just in case you have to restore the operating system or something ghastly like that.

Hi Christine,

You can get to the restore function by going to Start>Help and Support

Under "Pick a Task" you should find a link to System Restore.

thanks,everyone ,I have found and done a System restore,sorted out the AV anti virus whic was about to expire,these things take ages!!!.
another question,last week we had a small"crash".Sent for the error report from Microsoft,they said it was a serious crash,just lasted a second,and their report said ,that they did not know the cause,but on vieiwng the contenets of our pc,we should consider BIOS upgrade..they said the basic input/output(BIOS) system does not match specifications for our processor.Is this something to be concerned about,did I ought to contact our pc guy.Do not want unneccessary expense.things are somewhat slow,but may speed up since the restore point.

christineredgate said:

I'm pretty sure that this a problem on the internet and not on your compuer. I've had the same problems recently, with many, many pages timing out or not loading at all and I was told today that someone who works on fixing computers in Orkney is getting loads of phonecalls with excatly the same problem.

I can't find anyone admitting to the problem, but I haven't tried very hard.

thanks,Mike,it is the Yahoo e-mail which is problematic,but then on WPF,a notice came up saying this page cannot be displayed in the middle of posting a thread.Very strange.Perhaps some other BF members may be having the same problem.

Hi Christine,

Sound like you're just getting broadband outages.

What browser are you using? IE, Firefox, other?

Ben,I think it is a Yahoo e-mail prob,perhaps our Broadband.A friend of mine ,in the village,says she is also having probs with the e-mail system,the "page cannot be displayed" keeps coming up all the time,cannot find server etc.But we do not know who to contact,the BT/Yahoo helpline are expensive and useless.I think IE is our browser,there is a symbol on the desktop showing the same,cannot see any mention of Firefox.

I have just spent 45 mins on the BT Yahoo helpline,to see if they can solve the prob of this page keep popping up,they said there is nothing with the Broadband server,yet in the middle of placing a Xmas order,suddenely the white page appeared,and in the lower panel,it said "could notfind server",and the Yahoo guy said it must be our D-link,he gave me this phone no 0845 512 0003 but the number is not in use,does anyone know of the correct number please.I tried to get back to BT but no success.

christineredgate said:
Ben,I think it is a Yahoo e-mail prob,perhaps our Broadband.A friend of mine ,in the village,says she is also having probs with the e-mail system,the "page cannot be displayed" keeps coming up all the time,cannot find server etc.But we do not know who to contact,the BT/Yahoo helpline are expensive and useless.I think IE is our browser,there is a symbol on the desktop showing the same,cannot see any mention of Firefox.
Hi Christine,

The reason I asked about the browser is because the messages you get can be different even if the problem is the same, depending on your browser.

It sounds like you're getting a similar problem to me. Do you notice anything in particular about the occurance of these outages? I.e. how frequent?, how long to recover?, what's the weather like? Mine occur mostly during heavy rain or wind. This is a common problem (see this thread in another forum for details). It may well be your line, especially if you're not in a large town or city... or if you're quite far from your local telephone exchange, but the phone companies seem to deny any responsibility for these types of problems. The thread makes some interesting reading ;)

It seems you're using IE as your browser. Does it manage to recover when the connection comes back? Can you carry on with your purchase process without entering all the details again? I find that my browser (Firefox) allows me to recover gracefully, when the connection is back. Firefox is free, so you could try it if you think it will help in some way |=)|

Ben M said:
It seems you're using IE as your browser. Does it manage to recover when the connection comes back? Can you carry on with your purchase process without entering all the details again? I find that my browser (Firefox) allows me to recover gracefully, when the connection is back. Firefox is free, so you could try it if you think it will help in some way |=)|

I'm using IE and Firefox. Makes no difference - they both time out but Firefox is probably robuster.

I'm not actually losing a connection - just getting timed out or sometimes (especially in IE) having the browser fail to find the page. Sometimes refresh works, other times not. If it refreshes then I can carry on where I left off with eother browser.

BT just claim it is something I've done. I know it's not. Interestingly, it seems better today.

Mike Pennington said:
I'm using IE and Firefox. Makes no difference - they both time out but Firefox is probably robuster.

I'm not actually losing a connection - just getting timed out or sometimes (especially in IE) having the browser fail to find the page. Sometimes refresh works, other times not. If it refreshes then I can carry on where I left off with eother browser.

BT just claim it is something I've done. I know it's not. Interestingly, it seems better today.

I get these 'unable to connect to server' things every so often, probably about once every two weeks. I just assume they're doing essential work (however I'm always puzzled when a billions-of-pounds outfit can't live up to their 'always on' spiel about broadband). Sometimes (e.g when trying to access my online bank details) it's a complete pain in the thrups.

Cheers,

My computer kept dropping the connection when I hadn't changed page on the internet for c.5 minutes - the time it takes to type a lenghty email which by the time I had finished the connection was gone - does this sound similar? I thought it was something to do with the screen saver (which was disabled).
It seems to have righted itself yesterday - I did delete a file called 'innactivity' in system processes.
However prior to that I had to disconnect the internet cable and then reconnnect - nothing else would do well other than rebooting.

RecoveringScot said:
I get these 'unable to connect to server' things every so often, probably about once every two weeks. I just assume they're doing essential work (however I'm always puzzled when a billions-of-pounds outfit can't live up to their 'always on' spiel about broadband). Sometimes (e.g when trying to access my online bank details) it's a complete pain in the thrups.

Cheers,

This sounds fairly normal. Once every 2 weeks or so you will bump into a server which is out of action, overloaded etc.

I was getting a failure ot connect every 2-3 minutes at its worst.

Yes,I dicovered this morning that everyone in our area(ie on our actual road) are all having similiar problems.But BT is of no help whatsoever,I spent another very stressful 45 mins on the phone today,to their helpline,trying to explain that it was not my pc,but our local area has the problem,therefore is there any way the local exchange can be contacted.But I totally lost my patience,and cut off.Talking to someone at the other side of the world,re a problem in ones local area,just does not seem to work.
But at the moment things seem to be okay.But I shall sort out my order via the phone ,tommorrow,play safe!!!.
Just so annoying.

Hi Folks,

They all are interested in collecting our subscriptions, charging the earth for advice as they all use premium phone numbers but are no use at all to people like me who do not have any degrees least of all in IT they have the same standard basic answers whatever the problem which of course don't work in every case. In summary they are of no help whatsoever they only want our money and do not care about customers problems, customer satisfaction seems the last thing on their mind, if they lose one there are thousands more out there.

Sorry the cynic.

Ann :h?: :egghead:

Thanks,Ann,yes,like you I know nothing at all re pc's and technology,I rely on the help from BF.But strangely,things now seem to be sorted.Unfortunately,I have a very low patience threshold.Barry(hubby) could not believe I had taken so many KF shots,as it needs lots of time and patience.But being outside with the birds is a totally different kettle of fish to dealing with call centres,and ones own domestic chores!!!.
But I was very angry,which is why I terminated the call.But at the moment everything is fine.BF is so much quicker than it has been for the prev week,so perhaps some action has been taken,or it could just be coincedence.!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back