• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firth of Forth terns (1 Viewer)

wirebird1985

Hi there,

Are there any birders out there familiar with the Firth of Forth? I am monitoring the birds around the Forth Bridges and have noticed that the common tern colony at Long Craig Island has been abandoned this year. There has been around 100 nests on the island for the last 10 years and birds present for at least 30 years. I think they may have moved to Port Edgar and Carlingnose point but i would be interested to hear any theories as to why they may have moved.

Thanks,

Robbie

Hi Robbie and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We've several members from your area, I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Do you know whether the colony was abandoned after failed nesting this year - or was it simply never occupied by breeding pairs?

Having worked in S/Queensferry off and on this year, I havent seen any terns here this year at all, but there are quite a few further down at cramond, coming in to the shore on high tide to feed on the sprats

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back