• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ballycotton and Bridges Of Ross (1 Viewer)

POP

Could anyone please help in information on site maps for Ballycotton and Bridges of Ross.

Many Thanks.

John

Well, since no one else has replied, John (where's Harry at the mo?)...

Ballycotton is south east of Cork city, south of the N25 between Youghal and Cork.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W21E62BE8
Ballycotton Lake and Shanaggary Lagoons are behind the beach north of the town. You don't really need a site map, but there's one in Where to Watch Birds in Ireland.

Never been to the Bridges of Ross, but once when I was seawatching at Brandon Point someone pointed out Loop Head and said it was the same place as Bridges of Ross.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F34E61BE8

Jason Tim thank you for your replys,i was hoping Harry was around but probably away for a few days.Will try what you have suggested.

John

Hi John,

Bridges of Ross is on the north side of the Loop Head peninsula and about 3/4miles east from Loop Head point itself. The place itself is not usually on maps, but Kilbaha is the nearest village.

If you'd like Harry's email address send me a PM. I guess he's still scouring the estuaries for a Great Knot!!!

Tom.

Hi all,
tom mckinney said:
I guess he's still scouring the estuaries for a Great Knot!!!
No,was scouring Galley Head for a Fea's(type) Petrel,unsuccessfully(for now).
John: Ballycotton has changed a fair bit since the publication of the late Clive Hutchinson's 'Where to Watch Birds in Ireland',with the 'lake' having long been breached and in the process of drying up,with Shanagarry also deteriorating.Nevertheless,the whole area still turns up good birds,with most waders now being found on the beach either at Ballycotton itself or nearby Ardnahinch.It has been very quiet of late,but that should change soon....
BF member Phil Davis lives in the area,it may be worth getting in touch with him?
As has been pointed out,the Bridges of Ross are on the Loop Head peninsula,just a bit back from the tip.There is a signpost off of the main road to Loop,but this is hard to see.The area is best in a NW wind,and I don't need to point out what's been seen there over the years.
Hope this helps?
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back