• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

Highlights from my walk this morning - mainly in beautiful sunshine - quite spring-like:

Muntjacs female with tiny fawn Gorsey Bank
Siskin among mixed finches Salwarpe Court
130+ Lapwings in flight over Chatley area
Little Owl sitting in tree near Woodbury Cottage
Meadow Pipit flock near Harford Hill
Yellowhammer between Droitwich and Salwarpe

Other species recorded on Sunday included 2 Ravens, Cetti's Warbler and Snipe plus Meadow Pipits and several flocks of winter thrushes.

Species recorded over the past few days:

2 Little Grebes and a Coot on Tapenhall pool on Saturday
7 Lapwings over Tapenhall
Little Owl in tree near Woodbury cottage
Female Blackcap near Salwarpe on Saturday
Tawny Owl calling from Salwarpe village
Cetti's Warblers at Mildenham and Linacre Bridge plus 2 in Coney Meadow.
Water Rails calling
Snipe flying out of reedbed at dusk (8+ this evening)
Large numbers of winter thrushes in places
Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Kingfisher, Coal Tits, Treecreepers, Meadow Pipits, Cormorants, Grey Herons, Canada Geese, the usual woodpeckers etc.

Saturday afternoon took a walk down to Salwarpe Church. On the Copcut Lane side of the Churchfields Maize Maze field came across a large flock of finches. On closer inspection there were about 60 Chaffinches. I did scan for Brambling but with no luck.

3 Goosanders on the river near the confluence this morning - one drake and 2 redheads.
Cetti's Warbler singing near Linacre bridge
Kingfisher, Skylarks, Cormorants, flocks of winter Thrushes, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, etc.

Highlights from this morning 2nd Feb:

Egyptian Goose on Tapenhall pool plus Coot
Peregrine on pylon near Middleton Grange
Cetti's Warbler singing near Linacre Bridge plus Water Rail calling
Redhead Goosander flew down the river near the confluence
Two Yellowhammers near Woodbury cottage
Kingfisher, Meadow Pipit, Cormorant, Nuthatches, Mistle Thrushes, Redwings, etc

A pair of Gadwall on Tapenhall pool on Friday and Saturday - new for the year.
A Water Rail showed well near Linacre bridge on Friday.
A Cetti's Warbler, possibly 2, near Linacre bridge on Friday
Skylarks, Bullfinches, Cormorants, Grey Heron, winter thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Nuthatches, Coal Tits, Raven, both of the common Woodpeckers, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, etc.

A pair of Goosander flying over the flood water between Linacre Bridge and Mildenham Mill . Cettis calling in 2 or 3 places between Porters Mill and Linacre Bridge. Flood water forcing them higher up in reeds maybe.

Other species noted over the last few days:

2 Yellowhammers along Sinton Lane, Skylarks, Meadow pipits, Ravens, 2 Coots on Tapenhall pool, Redwings, Fieldfares, Mistle Thrushes, Goldfinches, Reed Buntings, Coal Tits, Bullfinches, Nuthatches, red legged Partridges, Kestrel, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, etc.

A male Blackcap along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood on Sunday afternoon
Several Snipe and water Rails calling from Coney reedbed around dusk time. about 100 Pied wagtails roosted.
Good view of a Badger carrying its cub near Ladywood on Saturday morning.

2 Blackcaps in full song along the canal adjacent to Coney Meadow this morning plus another between Salwarpe and Ladywood.
A Little Grebe on Tapenhall pool yesterday and still present this morning - plus Coot.
Cetti's Warbler singing from near the canal at Tapenhall this morning.
7 Snipes flew from Coney reedbed at dusk and Water Rails calling. 1000+ Starlings flew over but roasted elsewhere.
Raven over Salwarpe yesterday
Kestrel, Buzzards, Sparrowhawks, Nuthatch, Goldcrests, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Coal Tit, Linnets, Fieldfares, Redwings, Stock Doves, Grey Wagtail, Mistle Thrushes, singing Chaffinches, Blackbirds and Song Thrushes.

Hi "Woodchat"..... Just come back from my first visit to Coney Meadow area.... I live in Chaddesley Corbett. What a gem of a walk.... Saw Goldcrests, Reed Bunting, Raven, pair Redwings, Mistle Thrush, Siskin, LT Tits, B Tits, Greenfinch, Buzzards, Wren, Tree Pipit etc,etc. Would have seen more but had my dogs with me on leads and they were getting bored with me continually stopping to survey the scene so had to keep moving ! Didn't go in to the Meadow - to muddy.
Saw guy who has spoken to you many times....can't remember his name but he had a pair of Canon IS binos...if you know him from that.
I'lllllł be back !!
Ian

Hi "Woodchat"..... Just come back from my first visit to Coney Meadow area.... I live in Chaddesley Corbett. What a gem of a walk.... Saw Goldcrests, Reed Bunting, Raven, pair Redwings, Mistle Thrush, Siskin, LT Tits, B Tits, Greenfinch, Buzzards, Wren, Tree Pipit etc,etc. Would have seen more but had my dogs with me on leads and they were getting bored with me continually stopping to survey the scene so had to keep moving ! Didn't go in to the Meadow - to muddy.
Saw guy who has spoken to you many times....can't remember his name but he had a pair of Canon IS binos...if you know him from that.
I'lllllł be back !!
Ian

Hi Ian,

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Siskins have been very scarce this year so that is a good sighting. I've only seen one so far this year.

Your Pipit is much more likely to have been a Meadow Pipit at this time of year. As far as I'm aware no Tree Pipits have been recorded in the UK so far this year - they usually arrive from Africa in April. Of course there is always an outside chance of a very early one turning up somewhere. Did you hear it call?

Look forward to seeing you down there sometime. Cheers :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back