• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where in County Clare is Bridges of Ross? (1 Viewer)

Using the provided map reference, the Bridges seawatching point is near enough midway between the 'K' of Kilbaha and the very end of Loop head.

ATB,

Dave.

Absolutely - take a look at the attatched. Very moody - also very beautiful!

Attachments

• bridges.JPG
    bridges.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 557
wrexile1 said:
Absolutely - take a look at the attatched. Very moody - also very beautiful!
If you are looking at a map it is very clos to the tip of Clare on the atlantic coast, if you are thinking of going there just do it...
best seawatching site in Europe by a mile....

buzzard12 said:
If you are looking at a map it is very clos to the tip of Clare on the atlantic coast, if you are thinking of going there just do it...
best seawatching site in Europe by a mile....

yup - I went, didn't see much - absolutely loved it - even when its quiet there's something to look at, and the scenery is magnificent

where in county clare is bridges of ross?

wrexile1 said:
yup - I went, didn't see much - absolutely loved it - even when its quiet there's something to look at, and the scenery is magnificent

Thank you all for replying to my question, my wife and i were hoping to go this year but is now going to have be 2007.

grayboots said:
Thank you all for replying to my question, my wife and i were hoping to go this year but is now going to have be 2007.
Find the village of Cross on an ordnance survey map. (Beware - Cross is a handful of houses, two pubs and a shop). Drive westwards through Cross, after 2km or so you come to a small fork in the road with the right fork signposted for "Ross", or Loop Drive. After about 2km, the Bridges of Ross carpark is signposted (drive slowly, it´s an easy one to miss; look out for it after the road descends down a gradual slope down towards sea-level). The signpost is one of the brown ones used in Ireland for scenic or historical sites. Beware - there are no actual bridges there. The "bridges" refers to what was once three arches in the cliffs, conecting to sea-stacks. Two have collapsed over the years, only one remains. From the carpark, follow the path southwest along the top of the cliffs (be careful!). There are basically two projections of rock from which birders operate, if you go in the last week of August or the first week of September you´ll see lots of birders there from before sunrise. Take note that when you look perpendicularly out to sea from the coast there, you´re looking directly north. Best conditions are brisk showery northwest winds, but Wilson´s and Fea´s have been seen there in absolutely the "wrong" conditions over the last three years (not by me, unfortunately). I was there many mornings this year from the beginning of August, but to be honest nothing major occurred until the 22nd onwards, so aim for 20th August to 7th September if you can. The really serious expert folk in Ireland tend to be there about that time, as well as loads of folk from England, etc. For clifftop scenery, Loop Head is much better, but the cliffs are quite high, and although seawatching is done from there, the views are not as good as at the Bridges, where you´re about 30m above sea level. Great thing about the Bridges is that when there´s good passage, a lot if it is right under your nose, and bin-able, so you´re not trying to pick out specks of dust 3km away. The landowner is a very decent man, enthusiastic about birders coming to the spot. But stick to the paths on the clifftops, and to the obvious areas from where birding is done; although he´s too polite to say it, he doesn´t like people climbing over the fences into his fields. He´s actually trying to get the council to put in toilet facilities, etc. in the carpark for birders, so I think he deserves our respect. Have a great time there, I´ve been down now most of the last 6 years; I´m no expert, but I´ve really enjoyed myself there and seen loads.

Hey Sancho now that is what i call directions, and thanks for the advice your comments have been put in the file ready for next year,just seems so far ahead still something to look forward to with luck we should have a camper van by then so will be able to spend quite a bit of time there.
Cheers Grayboots.

grayboots said:
Hey Sancho now that is what i call directions, and thanks for the advice your comments have been put in the file ready for next year,just seems so far ahead still something to look forward to with luck we should have a camper van by then so will be able to spend quite a bit of time there.
Cheers Grayboots.
Excellent, enjoy it. Birders do stay in camper vans in the carpark, about 100m from the vantage points. They never get hassle from the council or anyone, as far as I know. I stay in Kilkee, about 15km north, I persuade the wife and kids to come on holidays there in August and sneak off to the Bridges when they´re not looking! Best Wishes, Éanna

lovely day for a Guinness

on the Cliffs of Clare, south of Kilkee, just north of Loop Head, between 2 corn fields, and near the town of Cross, a lovely little village. There are actually a total of 3 bridges left of the 7. here is a pic....from 2008

Attachments

• bridges of ross.jpg
    bridges of ross.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 269
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back