• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do I Need One (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
I am currently using 20x and 32x eyepieces for my apo77,I'm also a novice digiscoper; what would be the benefits of me buying a 20-60x zoom.

This will be of no help whatsoever, I'm sure, but I generally stick to the 20-60 eyepiece. On the rare occasions I have tried very basic digiscoping through it at various magnifications, the results have been quite good. I'm sure there are a lot more experienced hands out there to guide you through the process a lot better, but for my purpose of getting the colour and form of birds close-up, as opposed to pure shot clarity, even on full mag, I would recommend it. I presume it all boils down to the camera and the adaptor rather than the fact it is a zoom lens. Of course, as they say, once a zoomer, always a zoomer, and birding without digiscoping will become something totally different once you get used to it....

bobwoodcock said:
Thanks for the info Mike ,perhaps one of the digiscoping gurus will be along in a while

Bob

For my tuppence worth i always use the 20WA lens and more recently the 10X Eagleeye, i also use the 32X for distant birds,

For me there would be no benefit for you because you have the distances covered in my opinion, if for example, you wanted to use the zoom lens at 40X you would have a softer image but that would be the only real advantage ? BUT saying all that, Andy B swears by the zoom eye piece ! Didnt want to confuse you too much ;)

rgds

Paul

Most digiscopers use the zoom in the 20-30 zoom range and as youve all ready got both these eyepieces there would be no advantage in getting the zoom (IMHO).Both the 20x and the 30x willgive you much better FOV than the zoom,let in more light allowing a faster shutter speed.

Thanks Graham,do you think it's worth getting the zoom just for normal birding(disregarding digiscoping)sometimes I think I am missing out on distant birds or are these occasions few and far between?

Personally I use the zoom and would not like to be without it. yesterday when out a small group of dunlin droped in some way off in with them were two curlew sand - whilst they were IDable at 20x using the zoom I could really enjoy them. I have just recently started digiscoping and ma very happy with the results the zoom has given - however I am considering geting the 32x in the future for the wider field of view.

I'd say that if you can afford the zoom - buy it you will not be disappointed. If you cannot afford it - then don't bother - just think about the advantage of having a nice wide fov in your fixed eyepieces. Either way you've got a cracking scope that will give excellent results.

postcardcv said:
Personally I use the zoom and would not like to be without it. yesterday when out a small group of dunlin droped in some way off in with them were two curlew sand - whilst they were IDable at 20x using the zoom I could really enjoy them. I have just recently started digiscoping and ma very happy with the results the zoom has given - however I am considering geting the 32x in the future for the wider field of view.

I'd say that if you can afford the zoom - buy it you will not be disappointed. If you cannot afford it - then don't bother - just think about the advantage of having a nice wide fov in your fixed eyepieces. Either way you've got a cracking scope that will give excellent results.
Thanks CV I think I will go for it,then at least I have got the choice of both.

Bob i only have the 30x and a few months back whilst looking at hawfinches was able to compare with a lady that had the same scope but the 20-60 zoom, it was a very overcast day and i found that the 30x was far brighter and had greater field of view than the zoom this has made me reconsider getting a zoom and am now going for the 20x as i've also looked through one of these.I consider with a 20x plus 30x you dont need the zoom.Certainly dont need it for digiscoping IMHO.

when I purchased my scope I bought all 3 eyepieces,3ox,45x and 20-60 Zoom.What I did not realise was that to use the zoom with an adapter can be awkward,as depending on whch adapter ring you are using,it can be fiddly as the zoom focusing ring is underneath it.I eventually sold the zoom and usually only use the 30x as it is already on the scope for digiscoping.I even find the 45X strange to use now,as I am so used to using the 30xwide without the rubber protection ring.But as has already been mentioned there are lots of people on the Forum who take excellent images using a zoom lens and would not change it.Pity you cannot borrow one to use as a trial.They aren't cheap to buy,and one does lose out when ones re sells.

bobwoodcock said:
I am currently using 20x and 32x eyepieces for my apo77,I'm also a novice digiscoper; what would be the benefits of me buying a 20-60x zoom.

I recently bought the 20xw to add to the 32xw and 20-60x zoom. The 32xw and 20xw are great. I can't say I am very fond of the zoom. High powers - >32xw - cannot really be used when a heat haze is present, and at powers ~<40x the view is disconcertingly narrow. That said, the image quality is pretty good at most powers over most of the field.

Maybe you could visit a dealer with viewing faacilities, and spend an hour trying a zoom?

bobwoodcock said:
For digiscoping: I agree with Graham - practically no benefits over your fixed ep's (IMHO the very best eyepieces for digiscoping).
For birdwatching: you know it best yourself how often you have missed that extra power. The benefits of the zoom are easily available only if you use it as a main eyepiece, and if you are already accustomed to
fixed wide angles, the view through the zoom may not be that comfortable. Try as much as you possibly can before making the decision. I did learn to like the Swarovski zoom after being a zoom skeptic for 20 years.

Leif said:
I recently bought the 20xw to add to the 32xw and 20-60x zoom. The 32xw and 20xw are great. I can't say I am very fond of the zoom. High powers - >32xw - cannot really be used when a heat haze is present, and at powers ~<40x the view is disconcertingly narrow. That said, the image quality is pretty good at most powers over most of the field.
I feel a little guilty for being one of those who recommended the zoom to you over 20x fixed, although I knew that you would immediately see its shortcomings. How often do you change the eyepieces when birdwatching? I assume you mainly use the 32xw?

Ilkka

iporali said:
I feel a little guilty for being one of those who recommended the zoom to you over 20x fixed, although I knew that you would immediately see its shortcomings. How often do you change the eyepieces when birdwatching? I assume you mainly use the 32xw?

Ilkka

I would not worry. I appreciate advice given in good faith and it seems that most people really do like the zoom. Anyway, I bought it just before a large UK price rise of ~20%. :bounce:

I also use the scope on the night sky, and the zoom has seen some use, and will see some more. I may well get a small and cheap astro. scope and the zoom will see even more use on that scope.

I mainly used the 32xw for birding. I have tried the 20xw a few times, and it is also very nice.

Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice,I really do appreciate it being quite a novice,I think I am all ready now to attack the the nearest RSPB with all the relevant tips and equipment so here goes! watch this space ;I'll be as good as Andy Bright in no time(dream on sucker!)

Bob,
I think you got some good advice from the posts above, but if you do get a zoom, one other thing that you will be able to do if you have sufficient interest is to be able to read plastic rings on the bigger birds (gulls upwards in size) and you will be able to read the metal rings as well. You will need good conditions with light and a steady tripod (no wind buffet) but when you have got your eye in it is fairly easy to do. You may have to wait sometimes as not all the characters on the ring will be visible at one time but the ring sometimes moves around the leg or the bird turns a little bit. Try it if you buy the zoom.

I don't digiscope.

I bought my scope secondhand with the 32x...
I bought a discounted 20-60 zoom from Warehouse Express a while back.
Anyone wanna buy my 32x?

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back