• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Not So Big Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

Atropos

I am not much of a lister normally but this year decided to try see how many species I could see on my local patch - I have set myself a target of 150+
My local patch is based round the town of Nhulunbuy in East Arnhem Land, Northern Territory, Australia. It is a slightly isolated community with the next large town being 750kms away, 650 of which are on a dirt track! For the pruposes of the year list I am only counting those species that I find within 20kms of my house - basically the area that can be rached without needing to hit the dirt.
The list so far stands at 81 which is not too bad considering I have been away from home and in Cairns for a couple of weeks..
The patch consists of a mix of habitats but is predominated by woodland but with some great dune slacks and coastal areas, but being in the NT there are of course slight complications in the form of crocs which inhabit all the wetlands in the area.

Attachments

• DSCN4416.JPG
    DSCN4416.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
A selection from the year so far...one of the absolute joys of birding in the NT is that there is only one gull.....
Little Black Cormorant
Eastern Reef Heron
Crimson Finch
Yellow-throated Miner
Silver Gull

Attachments

• DSCN4359.JPG
    DSCN4359.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN4361.JPG
    DSCN4361.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN4368.JPG
    DSCN4368.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN4392.JPG
    DSCN4392.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN4403.JPG
    DSCN4403.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 24
Last few so far - I get back home over the weekend so with luck I may be able to add a couple more before returning to work...
Little Corella
Forest Kingfisher
Lemon-bellied Flycatcher
Red-capped Plover

Attachments

• DSCN4409.JPG
    DSCN4409.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN4411.JPG
    DSCN4411.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN4415.JPG
    DSCN4415.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN4493.JPG
    DSCN4493.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 20
Amongst Los Angeles birders there has been a recent far of "5 Mile Radius" lists - within 5 miles from one's home - in an effort to shake out local hotspots for their best birds. Some pretty great results from this past year! And it was part of how the Red-flanked Bluetail rarity in Los Angeles was found. I expect to participate more actively this year...

Doesn't count for my Not So Big Year but these recent colonist to Australia are always great to see...Spotted Whistling Duck

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1548203486944.jpg
    FB_IMG_1548203486944.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 27
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back