• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji F30 - simple adaptor for simple digiscoper (1 Viewer)

Gavin Haig

Finally decided to try and get to grips with digiscoping, having owned a Fuji F30 for several months. I have a Nikon ED82A scope with a 25-75X zoom eyepiece, and was making do with simply holding the camera to the eyepiece. I was getting some reasonable results, but finding it very frustrating trying to centre the camera. After a chat with a friend I have constructed a very simple adaptor from a roll of pvc tape and a piece of plastic cut from an empty bleach bottle. How to do it.....

1. The camera lens (the widest diameter part) just happens to fit perfectly inside the core of the roll of tape - after some very light treatment with fine sandpaper (the tape core, not the camera lens!).
2. The next step is to cut a 20mm wide strip of plastic to length so that it fits exactly around the scope eyepiece.
3. Strip tape off the roll until it is the same diameter as the eyepiece.
4. Tape the plastic around what's left of the roll so that it forms a lip and rebate to slip snugly over the eyepiece.
5. Pop the camera in the tape core and it will then be perfectly centred.

I can happily allow the camera lens to contact the scope because the zoom eyepiece lens is of a narrower diameter than the camera lens so there is no nasty 'touching of glass'.

I only made this a couple of days back, but have found it perfect for my 'style' of digiscoping, which basically consists of birding, but with a camera in my pocket just in case a good bird or photo-opportunity comes along, when I can switch it on, offer it up to the scope, and take a few snaps. The priority for me was for a very 'simple' adaptor that just makes this opportunistic approach a little easier. It is cheap, compact, and effective. Obviously, it still means all my shots are hand held. Attached is an example from its first couple of outings, taken in quite dull conditions.......

Attachments

• 2007_0410Newadaptor0001.jpg
    2007_0410Newadaptor0001.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 344
  • 2007_0410Newadaptor0002.jpg
    2007_0410Newadaptor0002.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 2007_0409Newadaptor0029.jpg
    2007_0409Newadaptor0029.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 400
Another simple adapter....

Thanks for sharing! Here's one I discovered yesterday. I use a Kowa 600 series scope with a 30w eyepiece and am "borrowing" a friend's Coolpix 4200. The "skirt" from an ordinary electric lamp fitting or pendant light fitting is a perfect fit. It fits snug into the raised eyepiece and also works with the Fuji F30/31. I have struggled to get good shots with my old coolpix 4500 and an expensive Kowa adapter.Horrendous vignetting, bad shutter lag and a screen I can't really see well enough. I went to my local reserve today and came back with some nice pics! There's really no vignetting and you can use the scope normally, just slip the adaptor into the eyepiece and slot in the camera. So quick! It's the same principle as on the Digiscoping DVD and it works.
I'm off to buy a Fuji F31 fd tomorrow! (Oh, and I must replace the lights in my flat!).
I've learnt so much from this forum so I hope somebody can use this info.

Gavin & Skywatcher

Thanks for highlighting these options, trying to centre a camera via hand holding can be frustrating. This method should help a great deal & it will fit in your pocket.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back