• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
Hello,

My name is Adrian, I work in Saudi and come from the UK. Since getting a DSLR I have become a more avid birder since most of my pictures are of birds. We get quite a lot of interesting birds here, some of our common ones like the kentish plover seem to be quite rare elsewhere. This great grey shrike has been around since the beginning of December and I have finally managed to get some decent pictures of it. This is not the best but representative.

PICT0169copy.jpg

AJDH said:
Hello,

My name is Adrian, I work in Saudi and come from the UK. Since getting a DSLR I have become a more avid birder since most of my pictures are of birds. We get quite a lot of interesting birds here, some of our common ones like the kentish plover seem to be quite rare elsewhere. This great grey shrike has been around since the beginning of December and I have finally managed to get some decent pictures of it. This is not the best but representative.

PICT0169copy.jpg
............Hi Adrian from a sunny north Wales :cool: .Which part of Saudi are you in ? I worked there years ago building schools :t:

themexican said:
............Hi Adrian from a sunny north Wales :cool: .Which part of Saudi are you in ? I worked there years ago building schools :t:
I'm in the Eastern Province just outside of Al Khobar on the Dammam side.

Hi Adrian,

Welcome to Birdforum.

Not sure if you are our first member from Saudi, we have members in Kuwait,UAE and Dubai.

Hi there

I was in Saudi for a time in the early nineties travelling between Damman, Ryadh and Jeddah. Birding was very difficult with lots of interference. I was arrested at gunpoint briefly at Jeddah near the coastguard station whilst birding.

Have things changed? Is birding now acceptable?

James

themexican said:
I worked mainly in HAIL and BURAYDA (south central ? in the wilds)....nice shot of the Shrike :t:
I've overnighted twice in Hail, once when I drove up to Tabuk and again when I drove back.

James said:
Hi there

I was in Saudi for a time in the early nineties travelling between Damman, Ryadh and Jeddah. Birding was very difficult with lots of interference. I was arrested at gunpoint briefly at Jeddah near the coastguard station whilst birding.

Have things changed? Is birding now acceptable?

James
No things have not changed that much. You still have to be careful, depending on the location. A coastguard station would be a spot I'd avoid. :eek!:

AJDH said:
I've overnighted twice in Hail, once when I drove up to Tabuk and again when I drove back.
Do they still have the prison in HAIL ? it was the size of a football pitch with a watchtower at each corner.One of the yanks i was working with got thrown in there for selling stolen cement of all things..We had to take him food everyday otherwise he would not have eaten much :eek!:

And another welcome to Birdforum from another expat who spent a number of years working in the Eastern Province of Saudi. I wasn't a real birdwatcher then so the only bird on my Saudi list is the Hoopoe. Looking forward to hearing more about birding in the Kingdom.

themexican said:
Do they still have the prison in HAIL ? it was the size of a football pitch with a watchtower at each corner.One of the yanks i was working with got thrown in there for selling stolen cement of all things..We had to take him food everyday otherwise he would not have eaten much :eek!:
................................it's probably still there but I only stayed overnight, I didn't do the grand tour. :)

Dave B Smith said:
And another welcome to Birdforum from another expat who spent a number of years working in the Eastern Province of Saudi. I wasn't a real birdwatcher then so the only bird on my Saudi list is the Hoopoe. Looking forward to hearing more about birding in the Kingdom.
I've got a picture of a hoopoe somewhere, when I find it I'll post it. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back