• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (2 Viewers)

April 8, 2018

After trying the Yingkou Wetlands Park, I took the bus back over the bridge to the Dawa County side of the DaLiao River and hiked east to the river bank. Being Sunday the buses stop early, so I didn't have much time. It was the first time I had actually made it to the river upstream of Yingkou however and I will be back.

Just as I arrived a Ring-necked Pheasant crowed loudly from very close range. I clamored through the reeds and up to the top of the embankment and was rewarded with a wide vista of river with tidal mud flats on the opposite side with large numbers of Mongolian Gull, Black-headed Gull and Great Cormorant. The GC were also much more distinctly marked than I have seen before with more white on the faces than I expected. Scanning with the bins showed only many more gulls at too great a distance to ID, so not wanting to miss the bus I started back.

Just as I exited the area a few Yellow-browed Warbler co-operated unusually well with getting their pictures taken.

Daliao River, Yingkou, Liaoning, China, Liaoning, CN
Apr 8, 2018 2:45 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
6 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 1
Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) 47
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 20
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 100
Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus) 4
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44380865

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

Attachments

• Great Commorant.jpg
    Great Commorant.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Yellow-Browed Warbler.jpg
    Yellow-Browed Warbler.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Yellow-Browed Warbler (1).jpg
    Yellow-Browed Warbler (1).jpg
    252 KB · Views: 40
My goodness Owen a lot has happened on this thread in the last weeks! You're really getting into the good stuff now. Baikal Teal and Avocets! Not to mention Oystercatcher, breeding Saunders's, and Curlew in the same photo and a Stilt that might have missed the checklist in your photo in post #520? Looks like you've found some highly productive areas for birding and the good news is this is only the beginning of the season. The Panjin area has been underbirded and it's great to hear of your discoveries there.

In terms of the status of Avocets, I believe most stick to the coast of China (Shandong, Tianjin, Beidaihe, and up) and very few make the water crossing to the Liaodong (Liaoning) Peninsula from Shandong in their spring migration. I actively birded coastal mudflat in the Dalian area for 10+ years and only saw a handful the entire time. Other species actively take the short cut from Shandong to Liaoning. Bar-tailed Godwit would be a good example of that. In the Panjin area, you would get the best of both worlds with migrants following the coast and making the water crossing both ending up there (at least from the western side of the Liaodong Peninsula)

Not to mention Oystercatcher, breeding Saunders's, and Curlew in the same photo and a Stilt that might have missed the checklist in your photo in post #520?

Totally, Agree with Tom here. The photo captures the importance of the tidal mudflats of East China. Though Oystercatcher hasn't made the notorious list yet but its just a matter of time as they depend heavily on the mudflats given that they breed and spend the winter here as well.

On a side note, the Warbler in your post is Pallas's. A good photo though, among the cherry blossoms.

Thanks Tom,

I had one each of Common Redshank and Black-Winged Stilt, both found near the Little Egret and absentmindedly mislabeled that photo. Correction made. The Pied Avocet were right at the mouth of the Shuangtaizi River which is at the northern most reach of the Liaodong Bay. Hence they may have been following the coast and hugged the water bringing them a short distance east of Jinzhou which is on the western side. Warblers are arriving just now.

Apr-10

The dog walk through the neighborhood park showed Warblers starting to arrive in numbers.

Immediately on entering the park I was greeted with a couple of Pallas's Leaf Warbler but the terrier was too impatient to get on with checking out her favorite walk to let me take the time to try and get usable photos. Just stopping to check them out with the binoculars led to her running back to me and barking a "Let's get going!". Just as well since shortly thereafter a Yellow-bellied Tit decided to swoop down and get a closer look at me. I returned the favor by getting the some of the best shots yet for one of them. These shots are not cropped, believe it or not!

A little further on another lively spot yielded about 20 Yellow-browed Warbler seven Chinese Bulbul, some more Yellow-bellied Tit and a Grey-headed Woodpecker. All without having to do anything more than turn around and look.

We then headed back along side the private high school through a narrow walking park and were rewarded with some unusually tame Olive-backed Pipit, a couple of Common Magpie objecting to the dogs presence and the first two Barn Swallow of the season flying high overhead.

Attachments

• Yellow-Bellied Tit (1).jpg
    Yellow-Bellied Tit (1).jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Yellow-Bellied Tit.jpg
    Yellow-Bellied Tit.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Olive-Backed Pipit.jpg
    Olive-Backed Pipit.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 42
Amazing news here about coastal mudflat in China. Congrats and a job well done to all involved in steering the authorities towards this decision!

https://birdingbeijing.com/2018/01/...lyway-china-to-halt-coastal-land-reclamation/

Liaoning was pretty heavily sited and for things that I know to be legitimate complaints and Hebei was criticized for “tourism, aquaculture and shipbuilding had all been allowed in a national nature reserve in Changli County." That makes me think that the real reason for the closure of the Shuangtaizi nature preserve areas was because of this. The fish farming along and in preserve areas would also apply here and is an important industry.

Extensive dredging in the area of the Shuangtaizi River and use of that to infill marsh land has been going on for decades here. Panjin even yet depends on it to be able to continue to grow.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens with the Red Beach Tourist Area (Panjin Honghaitan) as it is 100% a tourism area. It is a privately run tourism area with a steep entry fee. RMB 105/person last year if I remember correctly, with another charge for the vehicle entry. The problem I see there is that it has actually been an overall benefit, in my observation. They have protected a large mudflat area and have an effective shoreline road and interspersed, very long, boardwalks to allow people to observe far out on the mudflat. At the same time they have been effective at stopping people from going out on the mudflats and egg collecting or otherwise harassing the wildlife, which commonly occur in other "preserve" areas. Overall it is relatively clean and undisturbed.

April 11, 2018

Took the bus north this time to the Panjin Wetland Area. Large numbers of gulls including a good number of Saunder's Gull. Picture here shows the smaller, more rounded head and shorter all black bill compared to the more common Black-headed Gull which was also present in abundance. Mongolian Gull made up the balance with a mix of younger and older birds.

A flock of Brambling greeted me as soon as I entered the park, along with the usual Azure-winged Magpie.

I was walking along the south bank of the large lake and noted that commercial fishing has heavily netted the west end of the lake. That concerned me, but I have to say that the area that held the greatest abundance of birds was the far west end where they bring in their catch and load it onto trucks. That is where the Common Coot & Great Crested Grebe were hanging out.

It was there that I at first thought that I had a new tic. I at first thought that I had Red-Necked Grebe in adult winter pattern. A shorter, thicker neck, the black cap seemed to extend lower, almost to the eye, and the eye color was black. I noticed the eye color difference in the field and verified it with the binoculars. Bill does seem to angle down slightly from horizontal. The problem was with that black lore stripe. Oh well.

When I got home my wife was laughing about one of her friends had spotted me out on my own and followed me at a distance reporting my movements back to my wife via WeChat.

Panjin Wetland Park, Liaoning, CN
Apr 11, 2018 11:15 AM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 kilometer(s)
13 species

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus) 13
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 22
Saunders's Gull (Saundersilarus saundersi) 90
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 115
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 16
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 1
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 17
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 1
Yellow-bellied Tit (Periparus venustulus) 14
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 22
Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus) 12
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 3
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) 24

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44484321

Attachments

• Saunder's Gull.jpg
    Saunder's Gull.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Gull rest stop.jpg
    Gull rest stop.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Mongolian Gull (1).jpg
    Mongolian Gull (1).jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    Great Crested Grebe (1).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 40
  • NT4A9913.jpg
    NT4A9913.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 27
Not birds, but while I was birding. Yesterday I managed to get a good enough look at the ground squirrels that inhabit the Panjin Wetland Park to finally get a good ID on them. This time I was able to discern a long, well furred tail, about 30% of the body length. They never raise or flick the tails, just dragging them along behind. That coupled with the ID photos I have gotten narrowed it to Yellow Ground Squirrel.

The day before that while walking the dog I stepped back into some shrubs to look for what might have been a Goldcrest. Didn't find it, but discovered a recently deceased Siberian Weasel. I had been seeing them running around the area, but only quick glimpses and I just wasn't confident about whether they had any white on the bellies. At least this one couldn't run away, so able to see for sure that it did not.

Nice to hear about the birds and mammals Owen. Do you have the excellent China mammal guide by Xie and Smith? It was a very worthwhile addition to my book collection and I still look at it from time to time. Good range maps and plates for each specie.

Short walk through the local park yesterday turned up Barn Swallow; Red-Rumped Swallow & a few Pacific Swifts passing through on migration. Passing through because the colony of Barn Swallow at our apartment complex is not in evidence yet. Numerous Yellow-Browed Warbler singing also certainly more than I was able to definitively identify. A pair of Merlin looking much like very fast tiny versions of the Kestrel zoomed through at just below treetop level and the swallow and swifts disappeared as the warblers went silent, though I could see a few trying to hide in the leafless trees and craning their necks to look up.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Apr 14, 2018 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM
1.0 kilometer(s)
8 species

Pacific Swift (Apus pacificus) 15
Merlin (Falco columbarius) 2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 10
Red-rumped Swallow (Cecropis daurica) 5
Pallas's Leaf Warbler (Phylloscopus proregulus) 1
Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus) 12
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 6
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 20

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44548299

Last edited:
April 16, 2018

Got out briefly to an area with more trees before the wind and my back aching got to be just too much and I headed back. The thing that made it worthwhile was the discovery of three Black-Crowned Night Heron in the trees along the irrigation canal. A male and two females. I got the impression that they were looking for a good nest site. I'll keep an eye out as they have been nesting somewhere to the west of here, probably along the Shangtaizi River, but coming to the area where I spotted them to feed every day. Maybe decided to shorten the commute. ;)

Only other thing was what I thought at first might be a few Pale-Legged Warbler, which would be a new tic, but the ID forum says were Eastern Crowned Warbler. Not new, but rather rare here.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Apr 16, 2018 12:45 PM - 11:45 PM
1.5 kilometer(s)
10 species

Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 3
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 1
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 3
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 1
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 2
Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus) 3
Eastern Crowned Warbler (Phylloscopus coronatus) 3
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 8
Olive-backed Pipit (Anthus hodgsoni) 2
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44652261

Attachments

• Great-Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    Great-Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Eastern Crowned Warbler.jpg
    Eastern Crowned Warbler.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 85
April 19, 2018

The first real hint that they do have a summer here came the last few days with yesterday being 24°C, clear skies and almost a dead calm. After mulling over where to go, I decided on returning to the Yingkou Wetlands Park.

Unfortunately as the bus approached Yingkou an ever denser haze of smoke filled the air. By the time we arrived visibility was greatly diminished and the tide fully out which moved most of the waders and gulls either out of sight or to nothing more than a black dot. I did pick up one new tic in the form of a few Little Ringed Plover.

Instead of staying on the road on the way in I took the narrowly worn pathway through the reeds directly to the back side of the ponds where there is very little human presence. Trying to identify several birds along the shoreline of the most isolated small pond led me to leave the path into the reeds. When I started hearing but not seeing something moving through the reeds at my feet, I decided that it was not such a good idea and retreated back. It was, after all getting warm enough for snakes and I was in prime habitat. Snakes are OK as long as I know where they are and preferably what kind they are. This was meeting neither criteria. A little more time spent searching from a higher vantage led to the discovery of some Ruddy Turnstone. The distinctive white patterning in flight made the ID.

The ducks had all moved on or were staying hidden. A single Little Grebe was spotted at distance hugging an embankment. The major thing to be seen on the ponds were Black-Winged Stilt that were no longer in groups but paired off and scattered thinly about. An occasional Rustic Bunting was spotted and White Wagtail were to be found. I heard but did not see a couple of Ring-Necked Pheasant.

Arriving at the main tourist area along the bank of the Liao River I was surprised at just how many tourists were there in the middle of the week. It was jammed in the most popular area with sidewalks blocked by people both parking on the sidewalks and setting up to cook mystery meat on a stick, i.e. Chinese BBQ. One family had literally set-up camp with a popup tent pitched on the pavement at the viewing area. I walked through the crowd with a purpose, knowing that to stop would invite the inevitable round of selfies. I chuckled to myself listening to the arguments about whether I was a Brit, American, Russian, or even Xinjiang ren. Only one person had the nerve to actually run me down and ask and apparently he had bet wrong but decided to win anyway as after asking he turned around and headed back to his group and announced loudly "Ta shi Ullasa ren".

The smoke pall was heavy enough and the tide fully out enough that other than being able to tell that most of the birds were 2-300 meters out, it was impossible to actually ID most. I was able to manage to spot some Dunlin & Black-Tailed Godwit and a few Kentish Plover in closer and I am sure that my counts are very low as mostly I just couldn't say for sure what they were but could see many shapes moving about. At a small pond I did manage to get decent shots of Little Ringed Plover.

Yingkou Wetland Park, Liaoning, CN
Apr 19, 2018 1:30 PM - 3:15 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
12 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 2
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 1
Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) 8
Kentish Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus) 5
Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius) 2
Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) 15
Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) 4
Dunlin (Calidris alpina) 4
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 1
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 4
Rustic Bunting (Emberiza rustica) 6
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 50

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44740106

Attachments

• Little Ringed Plover (1).jpg
    Little Ringed Plover (1).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Little Ringed Plover (2).jpg
    Little Ringed Plover (2).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Black-Tailed Godwit.jpg
    Black-Tailed Godwit.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 33
  • Black-Winged Stilt.jpg
    Black-Winged Stilt.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 37
  • NT4A0128.jpg
    NT4A0128.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi Owen,
I have quickly read all your posts. Very impressive! Panjin has been given credit for birding for decades but everything I could find was news reports or photograph. It is so great to have the "when/where/what" that birders need the most. I'll probably be visiting Panjin in May or June. It wouldn't be a birding trip but I'll try to make some time. So far, my plan includes Wetland park, Dong Hu Park, Gedalou reservoir and Honghaitan. I was thinking about Shuang taizi river entry reserve but it seems no longer accessible. I'm originally from China but only started birding since I moved to Canada, therefore, everything in Panjin would be new for me. I would appreciate any of your suggestion! :)
For a selfish reason, I was hoping you keep a running Panjin life list in the first page. There is no checklist of this city and eBird doesn't do "county" for China, only provinces. You are the most avid and productive birder in Panjin, so your life list should be very close, if not the same, as a checklist. But I understand if you choose not to. Like an old saying among birders, "Who's counting?" ;)
Best regards,
Lancy

Hi Lancy,

Guess I should have read my own page first as I just finished a reply on Tom's site! For the benefit of anyone else interested in Panjin area, I'll re-post it here. Newfoundland!, your really a long way from home. That's even a long way from "Chinese Canada" in Vancouver.

The Shuangtaizi River estuary is indeed closed off as of December last year except for Honghaitan.

The Panjin - Yingkou area happens to have a good size breeding population of Saunder's Gull and the other two are common here also. The best places that I have around here for almost always having Saunder's Gull are the Yingkou Wetland Park, which is at the mouth of the Liao River, just upstream of the mouth of the Liao River on the Panjin side of the river, at the Panjin Wetlands Park which is close to the Panjin Railway Station, and of course at the Red Beach Tourism Area. The Red Beach (Honghaitan) has an entry fee, which last year I think was 105 RMB/person plus a fee for the vehicle. The others are free access. The Black-Headed Gull can normally be found anywhere there are Saunder's, which makes for the challenge of sorting the two out. Herring Gull & Black-Headed are also common more inland at larger lakes. One of my favorites, Gedalou Reservoir, normally has both and it is not unusual to have Saunder's in smaller numbers.

For May and June the Dingxiang Tourist Area Rookery will be loaded with nesting Egrets and Herons. Also a fair number of Passerines to be found there if you tear yourself away from the Herons and Egrets. That is a further downstream part of the Panjin Wetland Area.

If you want, I can supply you with the coordinates for any of these locations. All except Honghaitan and the Rookery are accessible by the same bus route from the train station with Gedalou being about three or four kilometers east of the bus stop and it is one short transfer from the end of the line to cross the bridge into Yingkou. Honghaitan & the Rookery would need some special arrangements as there are not any buses going to the Rookery and you have to provide your own vehicle for Honghaitan as it is too long of a piece of coastal mud flat for one to walk and oddly enough no shuttle buses are provided.

You could pretty handily cover the best parts of the Panjin Wetland Park, though it is big in 2-4 hours. Dependent upon how "birdy" it actually is that day. About an hours bus ride down to Donghu Park, which is not in the best shape this year as they did a major expansion and "improvement" campaign on it last summer. I am planning to check it again within the next week, so keep watching here. From there it is a quick taxi ride out to Gedalou which tends to be either boom or bust. I have had literally nothing there once last year and have had thousands of ducks one day this spring. Donghu can be an hour or two and Gedalou can take all day when it is really active. Waterfowl and waders galore when you hit it right. Yingkou is about another hour south of there on the same bus and from there you can even catch a bus for about 45minutes to Erjiegou which is at the south gate for Honghaitan. You could get a taxi from there to take you in, but I don't know what they are charging.

My Liaoning Life List on ebird is at: https://ebird.org/MyEBird?cmd=lifeList&listType=CN-21&listCategory=allStates&time=life

Actually, ebird does keep a China life list as well. You just have to select "Country" instead of "State/Province". Mine is at: https://ebird.org/MyEBird?cmd=lifeList&listType=CN&listCategory=country&time=life

The Liaoning list is at: https://ebird.org/region/CN-21?yr=all That will include some not normal for here.

Thank you so much, Owen!
I will probably hit Panjin Wetland Park, Honghaitan, Donghu and Gedalou reservoir. The entry fee is under my “20 bucks per species (of interest)” rule :p and is acceptable for three gull species. I’ll try to coordinate my schedule with birding hours for the Dingxiang Tourist Area Rookery and Yingkou. Fingers crossed! There is a good chance that I’ll be with locals and they will know how to get the places.
I’ve never seen Saunder’s Gull. Black-headed Gull used to be common here in St. John’s, Newfoundland, until the city closed the sewer in harbour. I think the trick to tell them apart may be similar to find a Bonaparte’s among Black-headed.
Thanks for your lists! They will be my A Field Guide to the Birds of Panjin. I’m waiting for my visa and will make the trip if the visa arrives by the end of this month.
Lancy

Newfoundland is a unique place for birding.
Advantages:
1. It’s a famous gulling place. There 21 gull species in total after loosing Thayer’s. I’ve seen 18 myself, all in Avalon Peninsula on its east coast.
2. Good for European vagrants. It’s so called “Attu east”. Few dozens of Tufted ducks winter here. European Golden Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff, Little Egret, Grey Heron… are more or less recorded.
Disadvantage:
We are short of common birds in North America. Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles and Brown-headed Cowbird are uncommon. Northern Cardinal has been seen 4 times and we are still waiting for the province’s first Pileated Woodpecker.

Saunder's are quite often seen on the water and as such are smaller than the Black-headed and have a noticeably smaller, rounder head w/ a shorter all black bill. They also have a white, partial eye-ring around the back of the eye. They tend to sit very "smartly" on the water with the tail angled sharply up.

The DingXiang Rookery is little known but is at the juncture of and between the Raoyang River and the Shuangtaizi River. It can only be accessed by approaching along one back road from the north and has no road signs. The GPS coordinates showing on my pics from there are 41.102084 - 121.855540 . There is an entry fee, but I don't remember for sure. I think 80RMB.

Panjin Wetland Park is along the Shuangtiazi River a short distance south of the Railway Station on the #30 bus (2 RMB). The bus stop is across the street from the station by the Long Distance Bus Station. For gulls and waterfowl, the south side is the best. Take the first stop after crossing the bridge and walk back to the bridge. At the top of the bridge you'll see a well worn path leading down to the park. For Passserines the north side of the river is the best. In that case take the stop just before the bridge and walk up to the top. Then walk west along the top of the dike till you see the steps leading down.

The same #30 (2 RMB) bus will go down to Dawa, which is where Donghu park is. As you enter the city proper you will see the lake on the left side. The real birding is in the large park surrounding the lake so don't waste your time with the crowd along the lake itself. Azure-winged Magpie are abundant there if you don't have them yet.

Grab a taxi from Donghu and just tell them Gedalou. Unfortunately, the taxi can't (well, alright, won't) take you to the lake itself anymore. You can insist on them taking you another 1/2 to one kilometer further on from the North Gate and take the much shorter walk at one of the narrow dirt lanes leading through the fish farms and up to the lake. Yes, up, the lake shore road is higher than the surrounding fish farms. From there, just use your binoculars and scan the lake to see which way looks more promising.

Yingkou Wetland Park is again bus #30 but is 5 RMB whether from the train station or from Dawa. Just stay on until they kick everyone off at the last stop. From there taxis will be waiting. Negotiate for a ride to XiPaoTai. Rather than that I walk further south to a small poorly marked bus stop on the north bound side under the bridge where one can catch the local bus #501 back into Yingkou. First stop over the bridge, walk 100m or so further and follow the road back into the park. Gives good view of the wetlands and then comes out on the river.

I am attempted to do all!!! :D
But I may have to prioritize as time is limited, unfortunately. I really want to go to Yingkou Wetland, after seeing your list. That would take a whole day, at least. I am even thinking stay overnight in Yingkou, if I could find an affordable place which accommodates “foreigners” (I lost my Chinese citizenship after obtaining my Canadian).
Red beach is a must go, which is another whole day.
Donghu Park and Gedalou is one day.
I’m not sure yet but I’ll probably stay somewhere within cycling distance to Panjin Wetland, like 20min. I may be able to fit it into those days with social activities.
Dingxiang Rookery will be 1-1.5h cycling. I would definitely make time for it IF Red-crowned Crane is breeding there as they advertized. No eBird record in there. I have seen Red-crowned Crane in Zhalong Nature Reserve but it was before my birding time and I’m not sure if they were true wild.
I think I will leave Crested ibis for my future trips and focus on Panjin and Dalian this time :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back