• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brazil: budget Patanal/Amazonia (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Considering a trip this Sept/Oct (Yes short notice I know)

Cuaiba area (hire car for the Pantanal) and Alta Floresta areas (short plane hop between) .

Trying to keep costs down - but will still be costly - but cheaper for more than one (per person).

Trying to avoid, if possible, guides - but might not be possible.

Hundreds of birds to see and many mammals too - Jaguar etc etc

Anyone interested?

H

Not necessarily, Steve - I think it was Jon Hornbuckle who had one cross the road!

Tbh I'd love to go back and try to see one without the aid of a guide: it would be so much more exciting but even I - who usually never has a guide - wasn't brave enough to go for the slim chance of finding your own on a short trip.

This now all booked : 20th September - 3rd October.

Difficult for anyone to join now, I realise, but I'm putting it out there as a long shot, anyway.

Cost just over £2,000 for flights (from Manchester) car hire, accommodation (mix of full board & B&B).

H

This trip is now doubled in size - BF's Arbu has joined me in booking - obviously our trip to Java & Bali hasn't put him off a repeat !!

This trip is now doubled in size - BF's Arbu has joined me in booking - obviously our trip to Java & Bali hasn't put him off a repeat !!

Oh grief, are you that guy from that Indonesia trip? Didn't realise it was you, oh no.

only kidding....

Hi Kittykat,

I was under the impression you'd already been - or is this a second trip?

We're staying in several places - inc Pousada Piuval, Ocelotnatur Em Porto Jofre, Mato Grosso in Aguas Quentes, and Jardim de Amazonia.

Arrive on the 20th Sept and leave on the 3rd Oct.

You? It would be great to meet up sometime!

Edit: I've just re-read your thread - I see you're at Piuval too - we'll be there on the 27th. And nearby on the 26th.

H

Last edited:
We start in the south. Here's our dates for north pantanal, it changed since that thread :

24/09/18 Pouso Alegre
25/09/18 Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
26/09/18 Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
27/09/18 Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
28/09/18 Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
29/09/18 Pouso Alegre
30/09/17 Depart or continue to extension

Just returned from the Pantanal. Let me know if you want any specific infos about some species. We managed to see most of them;)

André

Hi Andre

Any info would be much appreciated! Interested in everything really, mammals, birds etc! Things I missed last time were tapir, anteaters and armadillos. As for birds, anything showy. I'd love to see more hummers, maybe a motmot!

Kittykat: we'll be in Porto Jofre on the 28th (&29 & 30th) at Ocelotnatur. Hope to see you around - maybe a long shot- you never know.
I'll pm you with contact details.

Andre:

Any and every piece of information gratefully received. Are you going to do a report?

Your itinerary and what you saw where would be great to hear about. Did you use guides or not? Did you do Jaguar trips by boat - and did you find any cheap (or not very expensive) ones if so?
Was the travel easy enough? Any problems?

As I say: anything is of use and invaluable. Cheers.

H

Kittykat: we'll be in Porto Jofre on the 28th (&29 & 30th) at Ocelotnatur. Hope to see you around - maybe a long shot- you never know.
I'll pm you with contact details.

Andre:

Any and every piece of information gratefully received. Are you going to do a report?

Your itinerary and what you saw where would be great to hear about. Did you use guides or not? Did you do Jaguar trips by boat - and did you find any cheap (or not very expensive) ones if so?
Was the travel easy enough? Any problems?

As I say: anything is of use and invaluable. Cheers.

H

Working on a report, but that may take a while. We had a local guide all along. First we stayed in Pousada Vento Sul in Chapada dos Guimarães (will you go there?) and birded around the town (Vale do Jamaca, Vale do Bencao, Estrada Agua Fria and Estrada da Geladeira. The place was full of birds and if you're interested I can pm you the exact location where we found Collared Crescentchest. (and the location for a vagrant Coscoroba Swan...).
We then moved to the Pantanal, staying at Pousada Piuval, Porto Jofre and Mato Grosso (at the Pixaim River bridge). We made a Jaguar tour organised by the Porto Jofre Hotel, expensive yes, but sucessful, after we had our cat at 7.15 we continued birding....
At the Mato Grosso you can hire boats (one of the boatmen knows the birds). If you can arrange one early in the morning, Agami Heron and Sungrebe (and all 5 Kingfishers) are well possible. He also knows the place for a Great Potoo.
The road was easy (a 4WD is required), some of the bridges are in bad shape but with some careful driving you should be fine. Fill up for petrol in Poconé, no cheap petrol after that....
You should be able to bird around Pousada Piuval on your own (if you stay there), most other places are privat and not accessible without guide, that could be a wee problem. However, many birds are seen from the road (which was very dusty lately). Some accomodation (like Mato Grosso) have access to some Fazendas, you might have to talk with them.
Language is not easy, English is not spoken by many people (usually just one or two people at the reception....) and some words of Portuguese really help.

André

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back