• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bang for buck (1 Viewer)

The Conquest eyecups do leave something to be desired. Not sure why they went that direction, or why they didn't make them extend far enough to cover the amount of eye relief originally. But after having requested extended eye cups, they were fine. And I had no issues with their durability.

I would caution you to not choose on spec's alone, since the way a particular binocular looks and feels and functions to you, will outweigh any specs in the long run.

And I'm not sure who is trying to sell you Meoptas for $1K without ED glass. All the new Meostars have ED glass.

The Conquest eyecups do leave something to be desired. Not sure why they went that direction, or why they didn't make them extend far enough to cover the amount of eye relief originally. But after having requested extended eye cups, they were fine. And I had no issues with their durability.

I would caution you to not choose on spec's alone, since the way a particular binocular looks and feels and functions to you, will outweigh any specs in the long run.

And I'm not sure who is trying to sell you Meoptas for $1K without ED glass. All the new Meostars have ED glass.

Oh okay, it’s just only some are labeled HD while others like the 8x42 and 8x56 are not. As per meoptas website.

Hello Simpleman19,

Your question of which binocular gives the "best bang for buck" has no simple answer at all , each individual person is different.

FOR ME the "best bang for buck" binocular , believe it or not has been the Nikon Action EX 8 x 40 Porro.

I however DO have MUCH more expensive binoculars , but the Nikon was the best value for the money , Another very close runner-up has been the 8 x 30 Kowa YF porro.

I must admit that the more expensive binoculars are better , but then again you DO get what you pay for.

Others WILL differ from me , but this is just fine , what a boring place the world will be if everyone was exactly the same o:D.

Cheers.

Hello Simpleman19,

Your question of which binocular gives the "best bang for buck" has no simple answer at all , each individual person is different.

FOR ME the "best bang for buck" binocular , believe it or not has been the Nikon Action EX 8 x 40 Porro.

I however DO have MUCH more expensive binoculars , but the Nikon was the best value for the money , Another very close runner-up has been the 8 x 30 Kowa YF porro.

I must admit that the more expensive binoculars are better , but then again you DO get what you pay for.

Others WILL differ from me , but this is just fine , what a boring place the world will be if everyone was exactly the same o:D.

Cheers.

Andrew,

And, I think I mentioned that my birding binocular Nikon 8x32 SE. I failed to mention my favorite, handheld binocular for astronomy was the 7x50 Nikon Prostar. But what is my favorite binocular might not rate as well with others. When I bought my SE, I had money and swam, every day, in a sea of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Kowa, and other great names. But as far as “bang for the buck,” Nikon was the clear winner ... for me ... at THAT time. :cat:

Last edited:
Anyways, I have narrowed my list down further:

- tract toric gen 2 8x42
- meopta MeoStar b1.1 8x42 or 8x56
- Nikon Monarch HG 8x42

Is weight part of your considerations?
The Nikon is 3oz lighter than the Toric and 8oz lighter than the Meopta.
It also has the widest field.

Someone commented the HGs have a lighter build and therefore may be less rugged.
First, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Mass doesn't necessarily make anything more impact resistant. Unless you're shooting them with a shotgun. :eek!:

And, if you do believe that more mass makes them better in a fall or impact, consider that one carries and holds the bins 99.999% of the time relative to the split second they might take a tumble. And it's assuming that tumble is on a hard surface and lands on a susceptible area of the bin and actually causes damage.

This seems like a bad trade. Very expensive insurance, so to speak.

My opinion, FWIW, is that the Monarch HG probably has the best combination of features out there. Taking everything into account.

Last edited:
Is weight part of your considerations?
The Nikon is 3oz lighter than the Toric and 8oz lighter than the Meopta.
It also has the widest field.

Someone commented the HGs have a lighter build and therefore may be less rugged.
First, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Mass doesn't necessarily make anything more impact resistant. Unless you're shooting them with a shotgun. :eek!:

And, if you do believe that more mass makes them better in a fall or impact, consider that one carries and holds the bins 99.999% of the time relative to the split second they might take a tumble. And it's assuming that tumble is on a hard surface and lands on a susceptible area of the bin and actually causes damage.

This seems like a bad trade. Very expensive insurance, so to speak.

My opinion, FWIW, is that the Monarch HG probably has the best combination of features out there. Taking everything into account.

Thanks,

Weight isn’t a big concern, I’m coming off 10x50 2015 vortex diamond backs.

In fact, if I go with the meopta it would be the 8x56 version. $50 dollars more to get me a lot more light. Will make a difference where I live. Otherwise I will be going with the tract toric or the Monarch HG in 8x42. The fact that the Toric would cost me pretty much $500 CAD less tax with military discount... I don’t think more than 50% extra for the monarch’s is justifiable.

Andrew,

And, I think I mentioned that my birding binocular Nikon 8x32 SE. I failed to mention my favorite, handheld binocular for astronomy was the 7x50 Nikon Prostar. But what is my favorite binocular might not rate as well with others. When I bought my SE, I had money and swam, every day, in a sea of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Kowa, and other great names. But as far as “bang for the buck,” Nikon was the clear winner ... for me ... at THAT time. :cat:

Thank you for sharing those!

I have looked at the list and I would get the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42, I have experience with several
of those mentioned above. It has risen to the top of the mid range priced models.

Nikon is a well proven company with top optics the Monarch HG offers a wide FOV, along with a very bright
and sharp view. Another thing it has is the lightest weight in the upper class, and it seems some like that.

I have the Monarch HG 10x42, I find it very good.

Jerry

I have looked at the list and I would get the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42, I have experience with several
of those mentioned above. It has risen to the top of the mid range priced models.

Nikon is a well proven company with top optics the Monarch HG offers a wide FOV, along with a very bright
and sharp view. Another thing it has is the lightest weight in the upper class, and it seems some like that.

I have the Monarch HG 10x42, I find it very good.

Jerry

You have tried out the Toric as well, if I recall correctly from a post you made on another thread. Is the Monarch HG worth $500 more than the Toric? That’s the price difference I am seeing on my end. Toric $950 tax in, Monarch HG 1450 tax in.

You have tried out the Toric as well, if I recall correctly from a post you made on another thread. Is the Monarch HG worth $500 more than the Toric? That’s the price difference I am seeing on my end. Toric $950 tax in, Monarch HG 1450 tax in.

That must be the retail price in Canada.

It can be ordered from Nikon for $999.95.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/monarch-hg-10x42.html

And see:

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en...:monarch:071819:shop_now#!/tag:Gbc:MONARCH HG

Check out the five 5 star reviews on the 10x42 HG.

Bob

Last edited:
If you want a pair of HGs then wait for LL Bean to have a 25% off sale. If you don’t already have their credit card you can get one at the time of the order and get an additional 15% off. Bean also has a one year, no questions asked return policy. If you have their card return shipping is free. Hard to beat that. Unfortunately they just ran that promo last weekend so it might be awhile until they run it again. They have been running it regularly for the past few years so it should run again before Christmas. Sign up for their emails and you’ll know next time it’s run.

If you keep an eye on the optics classifieds at Rokslide.com you’ll also come across some great used deals. It’s a hunting forum. I’ve bought several binos through their forum and all have been as described. Best to ask questions first though and make sure you feel comfortable with the buyer. Use PayPal regular option not friends and family so you’ll have additional protection. The seller might want you to add 3% to cover the fee but it’s worth it if you have any doubts. Lots of good deals come through the classifieds here as well.

If you want a pair of HGs then wait for LL Bean to have a 25% off sale. If you don’t already have their credit card you can get one at the time of the order and get an additional 15% off. Bean also has a one year, no questions asked return policy. If you have their card return shipping is free. Hard to beat that. Unfortunately they just ran that promo last weekend so it might be awhile until they run it again. They have been running it regularly for the past few years so it should run again before Christmas. Sign up for their emails and you’ll know next time it’s run.

If you keep an eye on the optics classifieds at Rokslide.com you’ll also come across some great used deals. It’s a hunting forum. I’ve bought several binos through their forum and all have been as described. Best to ask questions first though and make sure you feel comfortable with the buyer. Use PayPal regular option not friends and family so you’ll have additional protection. The seller might want you to add 3% to cover the fee but it’s worth it if you have any doubts. Lots of good deals come through the classifieds here as well.

Just went on and checked, they do not ship to Canada through the American LL bean and the LLbean.ca site does not have the monarch HG... that would have been the difference maker though. Too bad, I would have jumped at that.

Alright everyone, thank you all for your words of binocular wisdom, but I made a decision and it does not go with what the majority of you have all recommended. I ended up getting too good of a deal on MeoStar 8x56 B1.1 to pass up... where I live I could use the extra low light ability. They are also the same width and only 1.5” longer and 5 oz heavier than the binoculars I just sold. I have no issue with that size and weight difference. Still a lot smaller than similar Porro’s. One day I will pick up some 10x32’s to compliment them for day time use when I need more magnification.

Thank you all.

Andrew,

Hi Bill I have the Nikon 8x32SE and will never get rid of it. I am impressed every time I look through it! And yes I do have some WP 8x as well.
Regards, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back