• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scope or mounted bins? (1 Viewer)

Chuck,

How does one determine the age of a Kowa 833, say if one were purchasing on the used market.

Relatedly, what are the revision "checkpoints" I should be aware of. E.g., with Swaro EL, pre 2011 not SV.

I don't know. The TSN-880 series was released in 2006 per Kowa. I bet most you will see will be much more recent than that. If in really good cosmetic condition and functionally as it should be, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think many worry about the EXACT date a product was made...IMO the changes are so minuscule it doesn't matter at all with a very few exceptions.

Chuck,

How does one determine the age of a Kowa 833, say if one were purchasing on the used market.

Relatedly, what are the revision "checkpoints" I should be aware of. E.g., with Swaro EL, pre 2011 not SV.

I don't know. The TSN-880 series was released in 2006 per Kowa. I bet most you will see will be much more recent than that. If in really good cosmetic condition and functionally as it should be, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think many worry about the EXACT date a product was made...IMO the changes are so minuscule it doesn't matter at all with a very few exceptions.

I'd be far more focused on whatever scope I received, new or used, was optically good. I bought a new 883 earlier this year and it was not good. Being new from a reputable dealer the return was easy. Buying used can present occasional problems, though I've generally had good luck.

Trust your eyes and do a star test.

I'd be far more focused on whatever scope I received, new or used, was optically good. I bought a new 883 earlier this year and it was not good. Being new from a reputable dealer the return was easy. Buying used can present occasional problems, though I've generally had good luck.

Trust your eyes and do a star test.

Hard to do any evaluation of optical properties when seller is at point A and purchaser is at point B. Of course optical and mechanical properties are the most important. One kinda rolls the dice when purchasing used optics especially. But for the most part, I've had excellent results.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back