View Single Post
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 02:38   #16
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
..... I will take metal eye cups and a magnesium body on my binocular over plastic any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Dennis - have you become HunTer?

I will take light weight, strength, rigidity, dimensional stability and efficiency, hydrophobicity, impact toughness, and low cost any day
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If plastic is so great why are all of the best binoculars made out of magnesium? Even Zeiss switched back to magnesium after trying plastic on their FL line.
Coz the manufacturers can't spell c-a-r-b-o-n f-i-b-r-e yet, and are slaves to marketing bunkum

P.S. I would agree that design for the unlikely event of a bin dropped on an eyecup is of less importance than the quality, 'feel', and functionality of the eyecups in usage - which should be commensurate with the level of the asking price. By all means design a sacrificial eyecup assembly in the event of an accidental drop, but not at the expense of the quality of the functionality in operation.

I found the eyecups the most low rent part of the SF, and difficult for me to set up satisfactorily. I would suggest the OP try these out in person and see how it works for them. I wear glasses and have to back them out just a smidge - other people will be different. What counts is how it works for them.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation