• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cofton Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Ravenwing

Cofton Reservoir lies in the area between Cofton Park, the Lickeys and Upper Bittell Reservoir. Its environs are now owned by Cofton Conservation Ltd which is made up of local residents, some interested nature and ecological groups and a local fishing club. The reservoir is closed to the public but much of it can be viewed from the footpath over the weir at its North East end. The reservoir flows over this weir to a couple of small ponds which again can only really currently be viewed from the footpath. This will be the source of water when they open up the Arrow as it flows through the old Longbridge car plant site. The reservoir was drained three years ago to repair the valves and it has only been full again since the end of 2011. I have lived in the area for over three years and in that time I have seen 59 species of bird in the area, 12 on the water and the rest either overhead or in the trees and gardens around the reservoir. I hope that, as the environment becomes re-established, a few other species, particularly summer birds, will start to show up. The only downside is that sometimes the fishermen scare off some birds but the fish attract others!
The birds that I have seen on the water are: Mallard (plus hybrids), Tufted Duck, Teal (only when the reservoir was part full), Goosander, Canada Goose (plus a few hybrids), Black-Headed Gull (the roost can exceed 200 some days), Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Coot and Grey Herron.
As there seems to be some interest I will try to update this thread on a regular basis, Alex

Attachments

• Lake.jpg
    Lake.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 416
Hi Alex.....I popped down on Wednesday to have a look around and as I have never visited in the winter before it all looked very different to how I remember.
I cannot remember the bottom pond being so big as in the summer it's masked by trees etc.
I saw at least 4 GCGrebe,about 20 BHGulls,1 pr of Tufted,Mallard,Coot ,Moorhen,Robin,Blue Tit,Song Thrush,Crow,Magpie,and on the overflow steps a Grey Wagtail (exactly like in the 70's),with a pr of Teal on the bottom pond.

I see they have started building the new homes now...is the river being bought up to the surface by these as well as the one through by Longbridge Lane.
Keith

Attachments

• Canon 78 007.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 78 007.jpg low.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 103
Hi Alex.....I popped down on Wednesday to have a look around and as I have never visited in the winter before it all looked very different to how I remember.
I cannot remember the bottom pond being so big as in the summer it's masked by trees etc.
I saw at least 4 GCGrebe,about 20 BHGulls,1 pr of Tufted,Mallard,Coot ,Moorhen,Robin,Blue Tit,Song Thrush,Crow,Magpie,and on the overflow steps a Grey Wagtail (exactly like in the 70's),with a pr of Teal on the bottom pond.

I see they have started building the new homes now...is the river being bought up to the surface by these as well as the one through by Longbridge Lane.
Keith

Keith, Grey Wagtail is not very coomon around the reservoir so a good find. As you say Teal appear on the bottom ponds but I haven't seen any on the main reservoir for over two years.
I believe that they plan to open up the Arrow through much of the old Longbridge site. There also seem to be plans to put a new foot path along by the lower ponds to give new residents more access to the countryside. The total list of species that I have seen on, over and around the reservoir in the past three years is :
blackbird
blackcap
black-headed gull
blue tit
brambling
bullfinch
buzzard
canada goose
carrion crow
chaffinch
coal tit
collared dove
coot
cormorant
dunnock
feral pigeon
fieldfare
goldcrest
goldfinch
goosander
great crested grebe
great spotted woodpecker
great tit
green woodpecker
greenfinch
grey wagtail
heron
herring gull
house martin
house sparrow
jackdaw
jay
lesser black-backed gull
linnet
little grebe
long-tailed tit
magpie
mallard
mistle thrush
moorhen
mute swan
nuthatch
pied wagtail
redpoll (lesser and mealy)
redwing
reed bunting
robin
sand martin
siskin
song thrush
sparrow hawk
starling
stock dove
swallow
swift
teal
treecreeper
tufted duck
willow warbler
wood pigeon
wren

Saturday 3oth March

Walked round today and saw the following on the main reservoir:
11 Mallard (3 Female, 8 Male)
2 Tufted Duck (pair)
6 Coot
5 Moorhen
2 GCG (pair)
1 Little Grebe
9 Black-headed Gull including one first winter bird
1 Lesser Black-backed gull, first winter bird I think.

Lower pool had 2 Coot and 3 Moorhen on it

Woods around main reservoir "alive" with Blackbirds ! Trees full of Siskin.
Alex

Attachments

• BHG First Winter 13 mar 1 s.jpg
    BHG First Winter 13 mar 1 s.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 88
  • LBBG First Winter 13 mar 1 s.jpg
    LBBG First Winter 13 mar 1 s.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 101
Had only about 10 mins to spare on Friday Evening so popped along.
A dog walker got in front so hung back a bit but he put up the Grey Waggie off the overflow steps and it went off over the trees towards the new builds.
Wood Pigeons everywhere doing what they do best...bickering.
Not a lot on the pool but spotted a pair of GC Grebes mating.....on right bank-they have a nest in bottom of 1st bush.(see pic).
Lots of non discript birds too far off to tell what but a couple landed in the tall poplars and think they were Fieldfares.

Cheers
Keith :t:
PICS...
1 +2 Grebes mating
3+4 Fieldfare ????
Nice clean Pigeon.

Attachments

• Canon 81 035.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 81 035.jpg low.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Canon 81 035 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 81 035 A.jpg low.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Canon 81 037.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 81 037.jpg low.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Canon 81 037 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 81 037 A.jpg low.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 125
  • Canon 81 050.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 81 050.jpg low.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Easter Sunday

Easter Sunday, start of British Summer Time and the centre of the reservoir was frozen over for most of today !
I counted 40+ Black-headed gulls, 2 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 2 pairs GCG, 2 pairs Tuftys, a Buzzard circling overhead plus the usual Mallard, Coot and Moorhen on the water. No sign of Little Grebe today.

Attachments

• Frozen.jpg
    Frozen.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 121
Easter Sunday, start of British Summer Time and the centre of the reservoir was frozen over for most of today !
I counted 40+ Black-headed gulls, 2 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 2 pairs GCG, 2 pairs Tuftys, a Buzzard circling overhead plus the usual Mallard, Coot and Moorhen on the water. No sign of Little Grebe today.

5.30pm and a Little Grebe has just gone swimming by :)

For the last three years I have been viewing a Water Rail on the sluice/ramp to the old Rover works. Very close to the railings at the very bottom of the sluice.

For the last three years I have been viewing a Water Rail on the sluice/ramp to the old Rover works. Very close to the railings at the very bottom of the sluice.

Nice one......will keep an eye out for it......those railings and wire do my head in though.

A good quite evening last night but still cold as the sun dipped below the Lickeys....

Now there are TWO Grey wagtails at bottom of steps and in the surrounding trees.
Think I made out the Little Grebe at far end of resa....
Thought I had nabbed the Water rail but it was only a Moorhen...he he

A good quite evening last night but still cold as the sun dipped below the Lickeys....

Now there are TWO Grey wagtails at bottom of steps and in the surrounding trees.
Think I made out the Little Grebe at far end of resa....
Thought I had nabbed the Water rail but it was only a Moorhen...he he

Keith,
Friday evening there were two Canada Geese on the reservoir then yesterday morning there was a pair of Mute Swans, first swans I have seen there this year. I had a check about 5pm and saw 5 Tuftys (3 male, 2 female), 2 pairs GCG, 1 Little Grebe ( far end from the dam) and the usual complement of Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. This morning there were about a dozen BHG on one of the artificial islands. Around the reservoir there are fewer Siskin, down to about 30, about a dozen Redpoll and I saw 1 female Brambling. On top of that the usual numerous Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Goldfinch. I also spotted my first Coal Tit for a couple of months. Sadly I still haven't caught up with the Grey Wags this year but I see much more of the other side of the reservoir, Alex

Sunday 7th ...

Finally got the Little Grebe ..close in by the right hand shore but hiding under the bushes.
No Grey wags this time but a couple of Golcrest at same place.

Attachments

• Canon 89 103.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 89 103.jpg low.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 134
  • Canon 89 106.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 89 106.jpg low.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Canon 89 101.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 89 101.jpg low.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Canon 89 107.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 89 107.jpg low.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Canon 89 115.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 89 115.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 103
Friday 12th April

Took a strol round the reservoir in early afternoon sunshine !!! Spotted the Grey Wags on the overflow steps and on the stream below (3 birds present at one stage). Very difficult to get good pictures because of the fence. Small flock of Siskin and Redpol still present at the southern end along with a few Goldfinch and 2 Brambling (I don't remember seeing Brambling this late in April before). On the water 11 Mallard (8 male, 3 female), 6 Tufty (1 pair and another female with 3 males), 2 pairs of GCG (one pair now have a nest with female sitting on it), 2 Little Grebe and the usual Coots and Moorhens. No sign of any Martins yet ( they were over the reservoir by this time last year). Pair of Mute Swan were present yesterday but not seen so far today, Alex

Attachments

• Grey Wagtail 13 apr 2 s.jpg
    Grey Wagtail 13 apr 2 s.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Grey Wagtail 13 apr 1s.jpg
    Grey Wagtail 13 apr 1s.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Little Grebe 13 apr 1 s.jpg
    Little Grebe 13 apr 1 s.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 103
Good mix of birds there Alex.....yes those railings are a right pain....still you did well to get the Waggies.

Keith

First Swallows

At least three Swallows over the reservoir this afternoon, the first for this year.
This seems to co-incide with the almost total disappearance of winter finches, only one female Siskin seen today whereas on Sunday there was still a small flock of Siskin and Redpoll with at least four Brambling present.
On the water today two Mute Swans both with orange rings nos 17G and 50A, five male, two femal Mallard, two male, one female Tufty, two pairs GCG, two Little Grebe and the usual Coots and Moorhens.

So it seems Spring may have eventually sprung...it would be scorching in my garden today if it was not for the wind....

Like the addition of the 2nd Dabchick - lets hope that's a Pair.
PLenty of insects on the causeway at Bittell last nigh but nothing there to eat them....it was cold and windy at 5-6 though.Sometimes it's like a plague of Swallows/Martins here.....

Popped in on Tues evening....lovely sunshine...and blowing a gale.:eek!:
Lots of little bird activity right at start of path with Greenfinch,Goldfinch Thrushes and Tits all singing away...had my hearing aid in and it worked....:-O
Some long views of Warblers at bottom of overflow but could not hear them so only got this pic as an I.D.
A few Swallows somehow catching things in the wind as well.
The Swans were having a preening session on the overflow....too close only got a foot.

edit...looks like there will be loads of baby Pigeons soon as well.(pic)

Attachments

• Canon 94 053.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 94 053.jpg low.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Canon 94 048.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 94 048.jpg low.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Canon 94 043 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 94 043 A.jpg low.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Back after a week in Scotland

Back home after a week in Scotland where I added Crested Tit, Dipper, White-billed Diver and Fulmar to my life list and I also added common guillemot, long-tailed duck, common eider, razorbill, kittiwake, shag, rock pippit, yellowhammer, pink-footed goose, gannet, wheatear, osprey, hen harrier, red-breasted merganser, red-throated diver, ringed plover, turnstone, purple sandpiper and sandwich tern to my year list. Not a bad week. On the way home we stopped at Leighton Moss and saw and heard willow, reed, sedge and cetti's warblers plus some very tame marsh tits.
Going round the reservoir this morning I saw the usual coots, moorhens, pair of mute swans, only 3 mallard, 7 tufty (4 m, 3 f), only one pair of GCG with the female on her nest and two little grebe. All siskin, redpoll and brambling seem to have gone. No sign of grey wags or any swallows, martins or warblers but lots of blackbird, robin, dunnock and a few goldfinch.

Terns

Spent a good hour walking round the reservoir this morning. Two Grey Wagtails on the steps and many House Sparrow around the dam. (Interestingly the north and east sides of the reservoir get House Sparrow but they are virtually unknown in the gardens to the south and west !). Female GCG still on her nest and nearby the Mute Swan female is also on a nest. This is the first time that I have seen Swans nest in the reservoir area. Two Little Grebe present with usual Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. No Black-headed Guls but two LBBGs and no Tufty although yesterday afternoon there was a flock over over a dozen birds.
The most exciting observation however was of two Terns fishing over the water. I think they were Common Terns and this is the first time I have seen any sort of Tern in the area. The attached pics are the best I could do given the lighting conditions and lack of tripod at the time, Alex

Attachments

• Tern 3 small.jpg
    Tern 3 small.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Tern 6 small.jpg
    Tern 6 small.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back