View Single Post
Old Friday 29th September 2017, 14:59   #10
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
@ Jos. Going through my data from northern Greece, I realised that I had seen almost no coots, moorhens or grebes--only great crested grebes in Lake Kerkini but nowhere else. There should have been lots of coots, moorhens, black-necked grebes and little grebes, but they were not there. I can't recall if I have asked you before, but do you know what your area was like before there were cell towers? Are there any records of bird numbers as those towers were upgraded from 2G to 3G to 4G?
Coots abundant here, have been so through all stages of the evolution from 2G to 4G, I cannot say I see any trend of decline. The other species moderately uncommon, though were also before 3G/4G. That said, Moorhens have colonized my wetland (which has three 4G towers adjacent) in the last several years - but this is a single pair, so says nothing very much actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Heron View Post
I can't recall if I have asked you before, but do you know what your area was like before there were cell towers? Are there any records of bird numbers as those towers were upgraded from 2G to 3G to 4G?
I recommended in an earlier post that you keep this subject on one thread, rather than start several on the same subject - makes easier to check all previous responses. I answered the question elsewhere.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation