• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Duovid (1 Viewer)

stiv674

Hello Leica people

Does anyone have any long term opinion of the 8-12x42 Duovid?

I'm currently looking at a pair online for what seems a reasonable price and wondered if they're the best of both worlds or would end up not being used because of their limitations, fov and weight mainly.

I'm currently using Zeiss Conquests in 8x32 and 10x42.

Thanks very much

Steve

I've owned a pair since 2006. Quite heavy, but, I like them. 8x are good. 12x I find finicky to focus. I still like them though. Bought my next brand new for £995.95. They cost a lot more now. Even pre owned versions. I got a pair of 10x42BN's the other week off eBay for £500 in mint condition. Use them more now as they are a little lighter.

Thanks for your reply.

They're about £1150 for a opened box pair so thought that seemed fairly cheap, relatively speaking anyway...

Aren't they supposed to stay in focus when changing magnification? Or do you mean just trying to focus in 12x?

Thanks

I have the 10+15x50s.
They are my main binocular for distant viewing-shorebirds and raptors;
and with a filter for solar eclipses.
I use 10x mainly but increase to 15x for more detail.
My only negatives are weight and cost.

The two focus points are easy, but trying to get in-between is difficult.
I strongly recommend them as they are one of my favorites.

edj

Thanks for your reply.

They're about £1150 for a opened box pair so thought that seemed fairly cheap, relatively speaking anyway...

Aren't they supposed to stay in focus when changing magnification? Or do you mean just trying to focus in 12x?

Thanks

I find it finicky focussing in 12x
Great binoculars though.

Thanks both for your replies

It was birds of prey I was trying to watch the other day with 8x32s that made me think of the Duovids, just so happens I found a pair reduced today...

Now I'm even more tempted... just need to sell another pair first really.

Thanks both for your replies

It was birds of prey I was trying to watch the other day with 8x32s that made me think of the Duovids, just so happens I found a pair reduced today...

Now I'm even more tempted... just need to sell another pair first really.

Or, you could keep the 8x32s and get a pair of 12x or 15x to compliment.
pro--two binoculars, at least one lighter
con--hard to carry two so have to decide which one to use

just to complicate your decision
edj

Last edited:
Or, you could keep the 8x32s and get a pair of 12x or 15x to compliment.
pro--two binoculars, at least one lighter
con--hard to carry two so have to decide which one to use

just to complicate your decision
edj

Haha, I'm already over complicating things I think... should just enjoy what I already have.

Still tempted though...

They were a great pair of binoculars in there day ...
However, time has moved on, and Leica has refused to upgrade the optics and body shell material, making them to heavy, significant CA compared to current alphas and a narrow fov. .....

Why don't Leica do a face lift on the Duovids ?
Because they don't sell enough to make it worth the while. Which is my opinion is a cyclical argument

Cheers Tim

I always assumed the narrow FOV was an unavoidable compromise, and wouldn't bother everyone as much as it would me. As for weight and optical upgrades I'm sure you're right, it's not a big seller even by Leica standards. And if you really want this ingenious design, there's no competition.

I've not used the Leica Duovids, but do have a pair of the Leupold 7-12 gold rings. They are great at 7x, but rarely ever bother with the 12x.....just not that great a view. Too limited in brightness and FOV.

Greetings. I had this pair for approximately two years. Yes, they were an enjoyable pair with much better 3D view (compared to UV 8x42 HD) and the 12X power that was helpful, sometimes. Weight was an issue, but mitigated by the use of shoulder straps. The increased power did not prove essential to my activity style, and the pair was sold to finance the acquisition of a better 8x32. Do not really miss it. Enjoy in good health.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back