• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEISS TERRA ED 8x25 pocket (1 Viewer)

Just a thought regarding QC.

The internet is stuffed full of reports of return & replace for defective Zeiss Terras.

There is no reason why Eschenbach have not made improvements, firstly to the optics and hopefully improving with their QC. Considering their colossal turnover and high volume unit sales how could you expect otherwise ?

Best wishes,

...full of reports of return & replace for defective Zeiss Terras

I haven't seen any and I was very pleased with mine, and now I have a better one to judge it (a Conquest).
For me Terra opened my apetite and I bought more binoculars, both from Zeiss and other brands. That's what they made it for, entry level and some people will proceed from the entry to the living room.
I totally agree that they could cost maybe 100 euros less, since they make them in China though. Perhaps that 100 note is the cost of that little blue truncated rectangular.

Not necessarily ...

Best wishes,

Well can't really argue with that above from the German reviewer. Amazing, they have defied the laws of optics or else the big brands really have missed something here? that's what I don't get. If it's to good to be true then it usually isn't unfortunately but even if only partly true it is remarkable.

I have added them to my Amazon list just as a precaution should this all be somehow true:t:

Bresser Everest wherefore art thou. I hope they are well QC'd if I ever see them again. I want to try those again first and I still may hanker for the Viper 8x28?

I checked the warranty for these pocket binoculars on the Zeiss Web Site PDF. It is for 2 years.

A 2 year warranty from Zeiss, of all people, on their new $300.00 Chinese made Terra ED Pocket binoculars does not inspire confidence in a prospective purchaser or show any from Zeiss about the quality of the binocular they are selling.

Their 42mm version has a 10 year warranty.

What happened with Zeiss's vaunted policy of keeping on top of the Chinese manufacturer's Quality Control on the Terra EDs which we read about when the 42mm versions were introduced?

My son does a lot of Back Packing here and in South America. I was going to get him an 8x25 Terra ED for Christmas. I don't think I will now.

Bob

Last edited:
Well can't really argue with that above from the German reviewer. Amazing, they have defied the laws of optics or else the big brands really have missed something here? that's what I don't get. If it's to good to be true then it usually isn't unfortunately but even if only partly true it is remarkable.

I have added them to my Amazon list just as a precaution should this all be somehow true:t:

Bresser Everest wherefore art thou. I hope they are well QC'd if I ever see them again. I want to try those again first and I still may hanker for the Viper 8x28?

Hi,

I think 613Orm, the reviewer of the eschenbach quoted above, is from spain. I have found a thread on the Eschenbach in a german forum which mostly supports what 613Orm wrote but also mentions some flaws - let me give you the quick version what the two posters who had used the bin wrote:

+ nice looks
+ good color rendition, not a lot of CA
+ sharp until 75%
+ large field of view

o still usable (but compromised) view in very difficult lighting

- not very rugged build
- short eye relief/difficult eye placement
- slow focus

One tester also mentions the focus adjustment not being the same for both tubes but wasn't sure...

Both testers didn't buy the Eschenbach - one prefered the Meosport 8x25, the other wanted to test the swaro 8x25 first.

I think the short eye relief kind of explains the miracle of the wide field of view - back in the days there was a lot of true wide angle bins - but their eye relief was usually way below 10mm. Today almost nobody dares to sell a bin below 13mm eye relief and this means either smaller field of view or heavy and bulky oculars.

Maybe I should try to find the Eschenbach in a store and take my Conquest Compact...

Joachim

Great info guys. I realised I missed checking the eyerelief spec although I don't wear glasses but you guy's have rightfully spotted it straight off.

Excellent additional info also Joachim :t: I think that is probably very much more realistic.

The Viper seems to get the thumbs up all round. Seems to be the same spec basically as the Bresser Everest and with the compactness and good quality optics of the Viper I'm thinking it's the sort of bin that could appeal to me as the long eyerelief does help with longer period use hence the fov is sacrificed in exchange but with a relaxed view I find the Everest fov actually ok just as if you were concentrating on the centre area of a wide angle bin. I think the extra couple of mm objective helps a little (an important little) also over the 25mm's but I did notice that a 28mm objective does not look that much different to a 25 but a 30 or 32 appears a lot larger than the 28mm. I meant to actually line them all up and show this with a photo but need the Bresser back first.

I already have my Frontier 8x25 as a folding bin (it has good eyerelief but small view and very glare prone, super sharp and bright though also) and otherwise I don't really like that type of bin very much as just to fiddly and normally not a great or relaxing view hence why I'm looking at more realistic compacts for some useful field use and my Vistron and the Bresser fit this bill. I still say some ed glass and dielectric prism and a good focuser in the Vistron 8x25 would be superb though it's even great as is for a compact but it's bound to be improvable.

Last edited:
I checked the warranty for these pocket binoculars on the Zeiss Web Site PDF. It is for 2 years.
Their 42mm version has a 10 year warranty.

Bob

Bob,

Could you please supply a link to the PDF site showing the 2 year warranty on the new pocket binocular?

Here is a link to the Zeiss USA web site that states Zeiss USA sports optics have a lifetime transferable warranty. I take that to include the pocket binocular and the 42mm Terra binocular. Warranties in other regions of the world are different.

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...-support/customer-service.html#zeiss-warranty

Hi,

I think 613Orm, the reviewer of the eschenbach quoted above, is from spain. I have found a thread on the Eschenbach in a german forum which mostly supports what 613Orm wrote but also mentions some flaws - let me give you the quick version what the two posters who had used the bin wrote:

+ nice looks
+ good color rendition, not a lot of CA
+ sharp until 75%
+ large field of view

o still usable (but compromised) view in very difficult lighting

- not very rugged build
- short eye relief/difficult eye placement
- slow focus

One tester also mentions the focus adjustment not being the same for both tubes but wasn't sure...

Both testers didn't buy the Eschenbach - one prefered the Meosport 8x25, the other wanted to test the swaro 8x25 first.

I think the short eye relief kind of explains the miracle of the wide field of view - back in the days there was a lot of true wide angle bins - but their eye relief was usually way below 10mm. Today almost nobody dares to sell a bin below 13mm eye relief and this means either smaller field of view or heavy and bulky oculars.

Maybe I should try to find the Eschenbach in a store and take my Conquest Compact...

Joachim

Thanks Joachim.

Lee

Bob,

Could you please supply a link to the PDF site showing the 2 year warranty on the new pocket binocular?

Here is a link to the Zeiss USA web site that states Zeiss USA sports optics have a lifetime transferable warranty. I take that to include the pocket binocular and the 42mm Terra binocular. Warranties in other regions of the world are different.

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...htmlport/customer-service.html#zeiss-warranty

It is the one found in the PDF Manual for the Terra ED Pocket here:

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/hunting/binoculars/terra-ed-binoculars.html

It is in the 3rd one down under "Product Information" on the right side of the page.

It is in the first paragraph on the left at the top of the first page in the English Translation.

Bob

Last edited:
It is the one found in the PDF Manual for the Terra ED Pocket here:

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/hunting/binoculars/terra-ed-binoculars.html

It is in the 3rd one down under "Product Information" on the right side of the page.

It is in the first paragraph on the left at the top of the first page in the English Translation.

Bob

Bob

Its the same as the User Instruction booklet found on the US website at:
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/lifestyle/terra-.html

Mike Jensen assures that the US policy is lifetime/transferrable and I have pointed out the confusion/contradiction caused by this statement in the user instructions.

The 2 year warranty elsewhere is very disappointing I must say.

Lee

I'm taking a chance on the 8x25 and will let you guys know how they compare to the 8x32 Terra ED. I should receive mine on Friday.

I bought a pair of Swarovski 8x25's last year for use on non birding holidays with my wife. the FoV is less than for most full sized binoculars but is still useable. I used my 8x25s for serious birding in Central Park on a guided walk with Robert de Candido and managed quite well with the FoV. I should add the weather was bright and sunny.I seem to remember back in the 1970s some serious birders used the Zeiss 8x56 Dialyts which had a FoV of only 110m at 1000m less than the compacts under discussion. The ability to carry compact binoculars with me all the time outweighs their apparent disadvantages.
I can't comment on the optical and handling properties of the Zeiss but don't be put off with the FoV.

Received the Zeiss 8x25 binoculars today. Very nice packaging and cute case. Very similar to the other Terra ED binoculars but much better design.

Optics are very sharp! Very impressed with their resolution. Setting the diopter is kind of a pain but otherwise the bin is quite good. Very compact. Pupils are nice and dark -- no slivers of light anywhere.

I didn't have much light left in the day so I will try them out tomorrow.

I couldn't tell if these had that "grey tint" over the view like the other Terra ED binoculars. Will check that tomorrow as well.

All in all a very nice pair of compact binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back