• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you own one pair of glasses ... (1 Viewer)

A passel of binoculars takes up less space than a passel of vintage automobiles. (Still working up the nerve to try that one out on my wife).

I am presently resisting acquiring Victory Pockets, having just bought some EL 8.5x42 which are, frankly, astonishing.

The main reason I would want the Pocket is for international travel for non-birding trips where having binoculars is often useful in general, but lugging the large (and valuable) ones around might not be useful.

I travel internationally for work a lot and I have the 8x25 VP precisely for this and they're super. I keep them in a camera pouch on my belt all the time and don't even notice them. So I don't mind if I get to use them or not as it's no bother to carry. But then to have them there when needed is brilliant. In July I was in Hong Kong and found myself with a day off to go into the hills birdwatching and instantly I'm thinking they've paid for themselves again. Same story in April in Oman coming across some water with flamingos on.

I agree that for work trips etc. the ELs are a bit of a lump to take especially when flying. So even a Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 would be worth having. But I think if you're gonna spend money on pockets and are now used to the quality of the ELs just get the VPs as for the moment there's nothing better in pocket size.

..at one point the old man said "I have thought about this all day and I can NOT narrow it down below FOUR guns, and DAMNED if I'd let anybody talk me into any less!"

I can see a parallel here... 3:)

Absolutely, and yer darn tootin!

I'll be going on a pack trip in a few days into the Sierra wilderness, and will be bringing 4 pairs with me. One is a loaner for another birder (Trinovid hd 8x32), one for the hike in and out, and any long hikes while we're up there (Victory pocket 8x25), one for morning and evening birding around camp (noctivid 10 x42), and one specifically for star gazing (Canon IS 15 x 50). This is a group of artists who paint in the back country, so that is actually why we're up there. We have mules to carry most of our gear, hence the numerous job specific 'tools' that no fool in their right mind would carry into the wilderness on their own back. The Canon's have been ferried by mules on many a trip. It is fun to give guided tours of the bright Messier objects of summer with a laser pointer and those binoculars at 10,000'. The Victory Pockets are replacing a pair of Pentax 8x25's that I've used in the same way for many years. And, of course I'm going to look at the night sky with the Noctivids as well as birds. Once you appreciate the 'superpower' of these devices, its easy to justify having them available as much as possible. In their own way they make life more immersive and interesting.

-Bill

Absolutely, and yer darn tootin!

I'll be going on a pack trip in a few days into the Sierra wilderness, and will be bringing 4 pairs with me. One is a loaner for another birder (Trinovid hd 8x32), one for the hike in and out, and any long hikes while we're up there (Victory pocket 8x25), one for morning and evening birding around camp (noctivid 10 x42), and one specifically for star gazing (Canon IS 15 x 50). This is a group of artists who paint in the back country, so that is actually why we're up there. We have mules to carry most of our gear, hence the numerous job specific 'tools' that no fool in their right mind would carry into the wilderness on their own back. The Canon's have been ferried by mules on many a trip. It is fun to give guided tours of the bright Messier objects of summer with a laser pointer and those binoculars at 10,000'. The Victory Pockets are replacing a pair of Pentax 8x25's that I've used in the same way for many years. And, of course I'm going to look at the night sky with the Noctivids as well as birds. Once you appreciate the 'superpower' of these devices, its easy to justify having them available as much as possible. In their own way they make life more immersive and interesting.

-Bill

- Would you want smoked salmon or caviar, Sir?
- That would be very nice!

Edmund

- Would you want smoked salmon or caviar, Sir?
- That would be very nice!

Edmund

It is nice. When you’re up there to paint, it’s a luxury to not have to cook or haul all your gear in. Glamping lite is probably accurate.

“Medium rare on the filet, please....”

Bill

I have been told I have too many binoculars. But by and large, I think that mental health professionals are a rather cranky and narrow minded lot. Chuck has a much more enlightened point of view. My binoculars are strewn in different places for different uses. However, currently there are a clear top three for three quite different applications:
  • Astronomy: Cannon 15x45 IS
  • Dedicated Birding/Nature: Zeiss SF 8x42
  • Casual Daytime and Travel: Zeiss Victory 8x25

The 15x45 IS is the most specialized. It is too bulky/heavy, harder to point, slow to focus except for dedicated nighttime use. But at night it blows all my other options away. It only comes along when astronomy is a main focus of the trip.

The 8x25 is my choice for travel and anytime I am out and about with even the slightest potential for a quick look. It is in my pocket often and in my backpack always. On a recent trip to HI, I even used it to observe some Southern astronomical objects that I can't see from home. It gives up very little to the 8x42 during the day, and what it does give up is more than compensated for by its portability.

I use the 8x42 whenever I go birding locally or on car trips if I have specific birding plans. it is my most general purpose and highest quality binocular. It's easier to hold steady, more comfortable in hand, has wider field, and the larger exit pupil provides more comfortable view than either the 15x45 or 8x25. I always use a harness, so I have no issue with size or weight in use. However, it is bit of a pain to transport when flying or hiking.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back