• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Call; Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
At an isolated pond Dawa County, Panjin, Liaoning, China. This morning, June 29 at Noon.

It is heavily overgrown around the pond and it is itself walled and gated off, so difficult to investigate, but whistling the call myself, I was able to stir up a couple of Yellow Bittern. Black-Crowned Night Heron were also present, but I have never heard any call like this and both are common. Little Grebe and Eastern Spot Billed Duck are also found on it.

No visual on any bird actually calling, but did get this audio. Anybody know what this one is?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• MVI_7053.mp3
    915.4 KB · Views: 29
They're a bugger to see. I've heard dozens, but only seen one.

Good luck.

Interesting - I find them one of the easiest cuckoos to see here in Hong Kong, because they live in open areas and often sing in flight. Not like Large Hawk Cuckoo or, especially, Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, where you can be right under the tree they're in and still not see them.

Interesting - I find them one of the easiest cuckoos to see here in Hong Kong, because they live in open areas and often sing in flight. Not like Large Hawk Cuckoo or, especially, Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo, where you can be right under the tree they're in and still not see them.

Well, to be fair, my experience birding in Asia is mostly squeezing in birding around business trips, so I don't get the full immersion experience of a resident. But I agree, Large Hawk-cuckoo is even worse. :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back