• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrike, Oman (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
As my wife pointed out when browsing our pictures, this ain't looking like your typical Daurian Shrike, is it? I am quite convinced this is something better, but is it even possible to separate between Turkestan and Brown from this angle? Sadly we were preoccupied by chasing the Grosbeaks at the moment and did not really pay attention to shrikes as they all always turn to be Daurian anyway...

Attachments

• 1-IMG_8846.JPG
    1-IMG_8846.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 1-IMG_8847.JPG
    1-IMG_8847.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 98
It does look like a Brown shrike indeed.
It’s been an exceptional autumn/winter for the in Western Europe and the first for Kuwait was found just a few days ago by a group of French birders.

It does look like a Brown shrike indeed.
It’s been an exceptional autumn/winter for the in Western Europe and the first for Kuwait was found just a few days ago by a group of French birders.

Wow, I didn't realize how rare it is in the area, there are only 3 birds on E-bird for Oman in the entire history. If this is a Brown Shrike, it is the rarest bird I have even found!

I can only find a postal address for the Records Committee:

P O Box 246, Muscat 113, Oman

I'm sure I can find out Jens Eriksen's email address if need be.

Last edited:
That's the one. Jens is always interested in sightings and the comments!
MJB

I would also send it to Tommy Pedersen in Dubai.

To my eyes, the bird isn't a clear Brown. The scalloping on the flanks seems to have a white/off white background rather than buff, except closer to the vent.

It is a shame that the tertial pattern can't be seen, nor if there is any scalloping on the back.

I would also send it to Tommy Pedersen in Dubai.

To my eyes, the bird isn't a clear Brown. The scalloping on the flanks seems to have a white/off white background rather than buff, except closer to the vent.

It is a shame that the tertial pattern can't be seen, nor if there is any scalloping on the back.

Tommy Pedersen has seen the pictures on facebook and calls the bird "rather promising".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back