• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (3 Viewers)

Indeed I can't James.... could've been a previously undescribed species, couldn't it?;)

Another species down below us was a Variegated Fairywren; then in a nearby bush what appears to be her youngster.

We returned home via a cuppie back at Maidenwell and I spotted a Blue-faced Honeyeater in the Jacaranda tree.

The road from there, which I understand was a short-cut, is a dirt road. Hans stopped to let me take a picture of this rather splendid Grass Tree.

I'm not too sure the road would be a quicker route if it had been raining though!;)

Attachments

• BF Variable Fairywren  female thread.jpg
    BF Variable Fairywren female thread.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 43
  • BF Variable Fairywren  juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Variable Fairywren juvenile thread.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Blue-faced Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Blue-faced Honeyeater thread.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Grass Tree Xanthorea sp thread.jpg
    BF Grass Tree Xanthorea sp thread.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Boggy when wet sign thread.jpg
    BF Boggy when wet sign thread.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 14
Delia, what an adventure!!!!!......thanks so much for your 'report' I read it avidly every day and can't wait for your next installment :)......photos are brilliant, well done!

Ravensbourne National Park

22 October 2019

Before getting down to that, though. Hans came rushing through after I'd downloaded everything from Bunya saying that the Betongs were out the front.

He'd been putting some food out for them for several days in the hope they would put in appearance. So off I went.

Aren't they the cutest!!!

So, early the next morning off we set to visit Ravensbourne National Park and I wonder what delights await me this day.

We had a quick refreshment break at Crows Nest (what a delightful name for a town!), then headed up to the Gus Beutels Lookout for a cracking view. There were a few birds flitting around, but not always easy for me to get onto.

An attempt at a Grey Shrikethrush produced unusable pictures! Not so this delightful Eastern Yellow Robin though, love him!!

Judy and I then had a wander into the forest, I didn't get any birds in there (missing a Grey Fantail), but did manage a termite nest high in the trees.

Back in the parking area was a Noisy Friarbird in the tree, that had held the shrikethrush, and managed that one!

Attachments

• BF Betong thread.jpg
    BF Betong thread.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 37
  • BF Gus Beutels view thread.jpg
    BF Gus Beutels view thread.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Yellow Robin thread.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Termite nest in Gum tree thread.jpg
    BF Termite nest in Gum tree thread.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Friarbird thread.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 20
Oh you're too kind Nora and Chris.... but your comments are so appreciated.

We hung about the car park area for a bit, but the only other bird I managed was a Noisy Friarbird.

It was then decided to go back to another parking area a couple of kms down the road. The path from here leads down to that one, but we decided against the walk!

In the car park there was one of my pals, a Rufous Fantail.

I spent some time out on the road, as there were a few things moving about. My first success came with a Dollarbird, got two images for you, as not sure if the two are a pair of adults or their youngsters? After a real effort, chasing him from bush to bush, I finally managed a picture of a rather pretty Black-faced Monarch (I'd seen this guy on the Gold Coast, but hadn't managed a picture then..... so got him at last!!!)

All the while I could here a blooking Eastern Whipbird calling and although I got warm, was unable to actually see him!!

Attachments

• BF Lewin's Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Lewin's Honeyeater thread.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 16
  • BF Rufous Fantail thread.jpg
    BF Rufous Fantail thread.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 48
  • BF Dollarbird thread adult .jpg
    BF Dollarbird thread adult .jpg
    37 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Dollarbird pair or juveniles thread.jpg
    BF Dollarbird pair or juveniles thread.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 46
  • BF Black-faced Monarch thread.jpg
    BF Black-faced Monarch thread.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 61
Aaaaw thanks Nora. Here's another picture of a Betong just for you of course;)

Attachments

• BF Betong for Nora.jpg
    BF Betong for Nora.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 36
I can't remember why now, but the reasoning was good at the time, but we decided to go back up to the Gus Beutels Lookout.

We sat around for a while but didn't see anything new. So a couple of views to finish off with. There was a very fine Fig Tree forming a centrepiece of the parking area, and another view, from the opposite direction of the one I showed you earlier.

Before we leave there, other species seen/heard but not phtographed were Sacred Kingfisher, Satin Bowerbird, King Parrot, Eastern Shriketit, Torresian Crow and Eastern Spinebill.

We then drove round to Lake Perseverance. I think Hans was hoping to find some Rock Wallabies here, and certainly the habitat looked good, but we didn't see any sign of them.

Another lake that is huge, much larger than the little bit I have shown here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=55.4014&mlon=-131.6682#map=13/55.4014/-131.6682

The only birds we saw were a Great Cormorant, (not really a Lifer as we get them in the UK, but this is a different subspecies of course P. c. novaehollandiae) and Australian Pelican.

Attachments

• BF Fig Tree Gus Beutels thread.jpg
    BF Fig Tree Gus Beutels thread.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 11
  • BF Gus Beutels view 1 thread.jpg
    BF Gus Beutels view 1 thread.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BF Lake Perseverance thread.jpg
    BF Lake Perseverance thread.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Great Cormorant thread.jpg
    BF Great Cormorant thread.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Australasian Pelican thread.jpg
    BF Australasian Pelican thread.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 18
On our way home we stopped off at the town of Black Butt because Hans had heard whispers; now to see if we could find them.

So our first call there was to the Museum which holds some railway relics with a display and information about Roy Emerson (the champion tennis player) who lived there. I thought the seat was very attractive. They don't make them like that any more, do they.

We could see the nest of a Red-rumped Parrot, but I couldn't get a picture, she stayed deep down in the nest box.

Hans is an expert at chatting people up, though, and managed to get directions to a lady who had nice birds in her garden, but she wouldn't be home for a bit. We then went and had a cuppie before setting off to find her house.

When we got there she still wasn't home, but her husband was with another guy who had been doing some work for him. I managed to get a picture of a Willie-Wagtail and Straw-necked Ibis while Hans gleaned yet more information from his new found friends.

Then we set off for another location in the area, a back road with some scattered houses. There we had been told to wait and we should see some Red-tailed Black Cockatoos flying across on their way to roost. Maybe yellow-tailed too.

And come they did, several groups of them. The fourth picture was a quick grab shot out of the car window of the first batch. The last picture I actually managed to get an image showing the red in the tail.

Attachments

• BF Blackbutt Rail seat thread.jpg
    BF Blackbutt Rail seat thread.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Willie-Wagtail thread.jpg
    BF Willie-Wagtail thread.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 52
  • BF Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Red-tailed Black Cockatoo group thread.jpg
    BF Red-tailed Black Cockatoo group thread.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Red-tailed Black Cockatoo thread.jpg
    BF Red-tailed Black Cockatoo thread.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 45
Had at least 80 Black Cockies over our place a couple of afternoons ago.Computer out of action for a week until yesterday-nasty Trojan.Working again today but still problems.Thus no comments to your postings for quite a while,but enjoying doing the trip again!

Hans&Judy

Had at least 80 Black Cockies over our place a couple of afternoons ago.

Ooooh how wonderful - what a grand sight that must have been Hans.

Computer out of action for a week until yesterday-nasty Trojan.Working again today but still problems.Thus no comments to your postings for quite a while,but enjoying doing the trip again!

Hans&Judy

OMG!!! How on earth did you manage that Hans!!! That's really scary when something like that happens. And there was me thinking you were off enjoying yourselves somewhere.

I do hope you get the thing fully sorted before too long.

I am in awe at all the black & white birds you have come across down under! Nicely captured as well D.

I really like that bench ;)

Thanks KC.... the Victorians sure knew how to make things that last, didn't they.

Forest Waterhole

23 October 2019

My final visit to the waterhole, as it was my last full day with Hans and Judy.

Hans made me promise not to take so many pictures today. Well at least I said I'd try. ;) Ended up with about 250 (including some on the way home). That's comparing to my usual 4-500!!!

Of course the Rufous Fantail was there, so I was happy to get a picture of him. Also the regular Lewin's Honeyeater.

A Yellow-throated Scrubwren also wanted to have his portrait taken, so I had to oblige him too, didn't I. The Australian Brushturkey walked past the clementines, so obviously doesn't eat fruit.

However, an Eastern Spinebill was a bit more camera shy, as a quick bathe and off. Hence only a flight capture of this guy.

Attachments

• BF Rufous Fantail thread.jpg
    BF Rufous Fantail thread.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 55
  • BF Lewin's Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Lewin's Honeyeater thread.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Yellow-throated Scrubwren thread.jpg
    BF Yellow-throated Scrubwren thread.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    BF Australian Brushturkey thread.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Eastern Spinebill thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Spinebill thread.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 30
Hans and Judy really took care of you! I think this is my favorite picture (yet) of the Rufous Fantail.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back