View Single Post
Old Friday 28th September 2007, 00:44   #3
tim.birdboy

Hello! So sorry I haven't posted, I just FINALLY got permission today, to thoroughly scour the treatment lagoons for birds, as I please. Yay!

I'm going to try a different format:

This afternoon from 4:00-4:45, I finally stepped into my unofficial patch for the first time! I was immediately startled by a juvenile Northern Shoveler who wasn't brave enough to take off in flight. As I walked along the path, between Lake 1 and 2, some curious feeding Barn Swallows swooped around me. On the North fenceline, I found 25+ more Barn Swallows preening and socializing. Mixed in with these swallows were two Savannah Sparrows, new for the patch. As I headed East, towards Lake 3, I found 8 Blue-winged Teal, new for the patch, and more shovelers. A Spotted Sandpiper, another new, flew up right around here too. I was almost to Lake 4 when a very plain gray bird flew up onto the fence. White edges to the tail made it clearly a Vesper Sparrow, new for the patch, and a LIFER!!! I got to Lake 4 when a low-flying raptor caught my eye. I juuust got a glimpse of cinnamon underparts, and a bright white rump. A juvenile Northern Harrier, another LIFER!!! On Lake 4 I found more teal (Blue-winged) and shovelers, as well as 3 Ruddy Ducks, yet ANOTHER LIFER!!! A female Mallard flew up, new for the patch, sounding her very loud alarm. As she landed, she was joined by an American Coot, some more teal, and a Pied-billed Grebe. The coot and grebe were both new for the patch.

I'll update the list, maybe I'll stop by tomorrow evening!

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention the Red-tailed Hawk pair I saw, and the Turkey Vulture, and the Swainson's Hawk, that were also new for the patch. :-P Sorry!

Last edited by tim.birdboy : Friday 28th September 2007 at 00:52.