• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair Isle Bird Obs Plans (1 Viewer)

As a regular visitor to the island and the Obs I wouldn't have thought additional external lighting would be required to attract migrants.

The island has two lighthouses, North Light and South Light, which serve the island well and will, and do, act as beacons to migrants crossing the North Sea at night as an indicator of land.

The Obs Garden is already a magnet for migrants as it is the single largest stand of bushes and shrubs on the island. The garden has an enviable list of rarities to its credit and seeing the shear volume of thrushes, finches and so on drop into the garden some nights is amazing. These birds are not attracted by Observatory light to the garden, there has been very little external light from the Obs, but by the habitat. Even without the Obs this year the garden held Eastern Olivaceous and River Warblers at the same time which I think shows an already pretty good 'bang for your buck' for those lucky to be on the island at that time.

Most birds that arrive during the day will often navigate the island and many will undoubtably end up in the garden at some point, either feeding or to roost. The Pine Bunting in 2016 that was seen daily in the Bulls Park Crop, about a mile to the south, would return to the garden nightly to roost.

My experience of the location is that having an additional external light source at the Obs would serve little purpose and I think it would have probably been put in place with the last observatory when it was built if it was thought it would be of benefit. I'm not saying it is not something that may be considered in future plans for the new Obs its just probably not really needed.

There has been mention around how to build the new Obs and much has been said about using local materials however there are a whole host of issues with that.

The island is owned by the NT for Scotland and not the Obs, so you can't blast away to get the stone required, and it would need a lot of rocks to rebuild the shell of Obs. I think trying to obtain permission from the NT would be a dead end as much of the island is SSSI and the idea just wouldn't be entertained.

It would also take a lot of time to build using stone and using stone is not a magic bullet for preventing fire. The croft 'Pund' was stone built but it still went up in flames decades ago, it's the internal aspects of the building that would need to be made fireproof so the ideal solution is something similar to what was there before but with improved internal fire prevention that meets today's standards.

The idea for the new Obs will be that it will be at the same location and be of a similar sized footprint but with some changes in design born out of experience of the previous Obs, by new safety regulations and cost/affordability.

It will be challenge to get the new Obs in place for spring/summer 2021 and I look forward to once again enjoying the atmosphere of the Obs Lounge after big rare has been enjoyed by all.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply Ken. Monitoring and recording I've done too but qualified and an expert, I'm definitely not.
Did you ascertain why the spectacular falls occurred and can you safely determine the cause was attributed to the lights of Canary Tower? I've experienced amazing falls in North Norfolk, ( Holkham / Wells Wood / Salthouse etc) purely down to weather conditions, not a beacon in sight.

Just for you, " Have a nice day bud."

Pat

In answer to your question Pat, when the lights were turned off in 2005 (unbeknown to the monitors) migrant volume dropped during that Spring and Autumn by 90%.(measured in bird days) compared to the previous 4 years data. It would appear that there was a distinct correlation of migrant loss with the absence of the overnight lighting.

Cheers Buddy Boy.

As a regular visitor to the island and the Obs I wouldn't have thought additional external lighting would be required to attract migrants.

The island has two lighthouses, North Light and South Light, which serve the island well and will, and do, act as beacons to migrants crossing the North Sea at night as an indicator of land.

The Obs Garden is already a magnet for migrants as it is the single largest stand of bushes and shrubs on the island. The garden has an enviable list of rarities to its credit and seeing the shear volume of thrushes, finches and so on drop into the garden some nights is amazing. These birds are not attracted by Observatory light to the garden, there has been very little external light from the Obs, but by the habitat. Even without the Obs this year the garden held Eastern Olivaceous and River Warblers at the same time which I think shows an already pretty good 'bang for your buck' for those lucky to be on the island at that time.

Most birds that arrive during the day will often navigate the island and many will undoubtably end up in the garden at some point, either feeding or to roost. The Pine Bunting in 2016 that was seen daily in the Bulls Park Crop, about a mile to the south, would return to the garden nightly to roost.

My experience of the location is that having an additional external light source at the Obs would serve little purpose and I think it would have probably been put in place with the last observatory when it was built if it was thought it would be of benefit. I'm not saying it is not something that may be considered in future plans for the new Obs its just probably not really needed.

There has been mention around how to build the new Obs and much has been said about using local materials however there are a whole host of issues with that.

The island is owned by the NT for Scotland and not the Obs, so you can't blast away to get the stone required, and it would need a lot of rocks to rebuild the shell of Obs. I think trying to obtain permission from the NT would be a dead end as much of the island is SSSI and the idea just wouldn't be entertained.

It would also take a lot of time to build using stone and using stone is not a magic bullet for preventing fire. The croft 'Pund' was stone built but it still went up in flames decades ago, it's the internal aspects of the building that would need to be made fireproof so the ideal solution is something similar to what was there before but with improved internal fire prevention that meets today's standards.

The idea for the new Obs will be that it will be at the same location and be of a similar sized footprint but with some changes in design born out of experience of the previous Obs, by new safety regulations and cost/affordability.

It will be challenge to get the new Obs in place for spring/summer 2021 and I look forward to once again enjoying the atmosphere of the Obs Lounge after big rare has been enjoyed by all.

Thanks Steve for such a detailed response. :t:

In answer to your question Pat, when the lights were turned off in 2005 (unbeknown to the monitors) migrant volume dropped during that Spring and Autumn by 90%.(measured in bird days) compared to the previous 4 years data. It would appear that there was a distinct correlation of migrant loss with the absence of the overnight lighting.

Cheers Buddy Boy.

Ken, birds were still on migration, they just weren't drawn or distracted to the bright lights of your monitoring station which I 'm assuming is the Tower so as a consequence went unrecorded by you as they continued on their natural flight way. I concur that a bright light source attracts fish, insects and birds - historically, it's quite well documented ( commercial fishing / moth traps and lighthouses ). I wonder what audio recording might reveal on your patch.

Good Evening

P

Its interesting that on this side of the pond we have a relatively benign view of the effects of lighting on bird migration - the argument that a lighthouse can save tired migrants from a watery grave isn't one I'd come across before, but seems sensible in circumstances where a small passerine is struggling across the North Sea.
In contrast in North America there is a huge concern about the disorientating effects of lighting on birds, with a campaign to switch off lights in tower blocks during migration season. This has filtered over to Europe - I've seen at least one study where green-spectrum lighting was trialled on a North Sea gas rig to avoid attracting migrants.
It would be interesting to have a contribution from some of Birdforum's North American members to this debate.

Its interesting that on this side of the pond we have a relatively benign view of the effects of lighting on bird migration - the argument that a lighthouse can save tired migrants from a watery grave isn't one I'd come across before, but seems sensible in circumstances where a small passerine is struggling across the North Sea.
In contrast in North America there is a huge concern about the disorientating effects of lighting on birds, with a campaign to switch off lights in tower blocks during migration season. This has filtered over to Europe - I've seen at least one study where green-spectrum lighting was trialled on a North Sea gas rig to avoid attracting migrants.
It would be interesting to have a contribution from some of Birdforum's North American members to this debate.

I'm not so sure we do have a benign view. Visitors to lighthouses find dead birds littered round them (if you've ever read A Lighthouse Keeper's Notebook it enumerates several examples of this kind of mass slaughter) and the lights that let aircraft know about wind turbines sucker birds into the whirling blades.

As for lit-up cities there is an ongoing campaign to get office workers to reduce electricity use by turning lights off (it does seem to be gradually working) - I guess primarily capitalists want to save their own money but it also helps reduce overall energy use.

John

I sincerely hope that a comprehensive sprinkler system is fitted in the new building to prevent any future accidents and that other isolated observatories ensure such fire prevention measures are retrofitted/installed if possible.

No doubt FIBO will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes.

This has filtered over to Europe - I've seen at least one study where green-spectrum lighting was trialled on a North Sea gas rig to avoid attracting migrants.

Would be interesting to know the results of that trial?

Cheers

Don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere yet or not - was the cause of the fire ever found out?

A new species for the island?

From earlier this thread possibly one previous record at Pund?

Generally untwitchable, though as a single-species bird family highly desirable to world listers as well as British twitchers.

John

Perusing the posts and you beat me to it KB:t:

Imo regardless of the minutae detailing of the benefits vs negative aspects of buildings emitting light and whether the requirements of list-building birders should be in the equation at all..... It is generally acknowledged that increasing light pollution is a bad thing not only for us humans but a wider affect on migrating birds and issues with native songbirds with regard to natural day-length and associated urban noise. Indeed lights are being turned off to allow nocturnal migrants to overfly. I have no doubt that knackered or lost migrants can land and recover on places like Fair Isle without it being lit up like a Xmas tree.

If increased nightime light pollution mirrored a corresponding decrease in the activities of thieving, burgling, scumbags either locally or nationally that would at least be a positive aspect but i suspect not.....

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Laurie

I anticipate light pollution in some areas is playing a role in invertebrate collapse in addition to incremental habitat loss, increased chemical/pesticide use, etc.

All the best

From earlier this thread possibly one previous record at Pund? /QUOTE]

Apropos of not an awful lot, just cos I'm waiting for it to stop chucking it down outside, here's one I took earlier of said location for nostalgic purposes.

Attachments

• pund obs garden 020.JPG
    pund obs garden 020.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 38
Having subsequently looked at the Fair Isle stats., I find that the island is approximately 3 x1.5 miles with a Lighthouse at each end. Clearly with that amount of overnight lighting there would be no need for anymore and as such, it goes some way in explaining why Fair Isle has been so successful!

Am wondering if both lighthouses were “switched off” or replaced with perhaps green or red lights, would that diminish the return? Presumably it would lead to fewer casualties at the light source, assuming that the casualty rate (if it’s ever been documented) is known....?

Cheers

Am wondering if both lighthouses were “switched off” or replaced with perhaps green or red lights, would that diminish the return?

Slightly off topic, my general purpose flashlight though it has immensely bright levels of white LED lumens also has red and green options (again with different power levels). This seems not to startle any wildlife around the village, owls and bats (red) rabbits, hares and deer (green) seem to be the best options I find.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back