• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparison between Leica UV 8x20, Zeiss Terra 8x25 (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I have both the Leica UV 8x20 BL, and the Zeiss Terra 8x25 ED.

My impression is that optically, the Zeiss Terra are better. They have better contrast, and better resistance to flare, and the image just snaps into focus.

The Leica UV 8x20 are still quite good, but the contrast is not up to the Zeiss level. Also, the images snap less into focus, and for some reason, I have the hardest time finding the correct diopter setting; I oscillate between -1 and 0 every time I try. I also noticed something peculiar. If I look at something small and bright with darker background, such as a leaf stem, and I defocus, with the left eye I see uniform blurriness increasing, but with the right eye, I can see a double image forming. Interesting, I would have thought the two tubes behaved in the same way.

Build quality wise, the Leica are quite a bit better. I don't particularly like the way in which the diopter knobs are attached on my Zeiss; it once came off and I had to send it in for repair; the rubber is not strongly attached to the mechanism underneath.

In the end, I like having both. The Leica UV 8x20 is invaluable as it fits in a tiny neoprene case in the side pocket of my backpack, so it's always ready when I am hiking or biking, and it's so light that I am never tempted to leave it behind. The Zeiss are wonderful for when I consciously choose to take binoculars with me. I just wish they came with a reasonable case and eyepiece covers... the supplied hard case is ridicously large.

Thanks to the many posters in this forum; it's here that I learned about the Zeiss Terra.

Luca,

I have and love both as well. I agree with everything you say except I do find the UV optically better. However, in light of your comments I will compare them side by side with your observations in mind.

Re accessories for the Terra, the Vortex compact rain guard and objective covers fit perfectly and the Vortex case for 8x28 model fits well with these accessories and with bin adjusted to correct IP setting. Of course there are a number of other smaller after market cases as well if you prefer more compact carry with the Terra folded as with your UV.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Enjoyed your review!

I've considered the Ultravid BR/BLs myself. I'd probably have one if they made a 8X25.

I think I know the problem with the Leica UVs...

I checked more, and I think I found the problem with my Leica UV 8x20. At infinity, the best diopter setting is 0. At close range, it is -2: two dots to the left. Is this normal? Probably not, right? This may be a factor into why normally I find the Zeiss Terra sharper in the sweet spot. Should I consider sending in the Leica for adjustment?

Luca

I've owned or tried several of each. I much prefer the Leica, esp. for its lack of off-axis astigmatism compared to the Zeiss which is (in a non-defective unit), consequently, really only critically sharp (in the ~8 or so that I've tried) in the very center of the view. Based on your issues with contrast, defocus asymmetry, and diopter setting, it seems to me that something is wrong with your Leica. I would send them in for evaluation.

--AP

I checked more, and I think I found the problem with my Leica UV 8x20. At infinity, the best diopter setting is 0. At close range, it is -2: two dots to the left. Is this normal? Probably not, right? This may be a factor into why normally I find the Zeiss Terra sharper in the sweet spot. Should I consider sending in the Leica for adjustment?

Luca

Sometimes the correct diopter position is tricky, and also some peoples
eyes are not up to the task.

So considering all of this, we may sum this up to personal opinion.
Enjoy those optics they are both very good.

Jerry

In the end, I realized that the Leica diopter setting depended on how far away I was focusing, and this was likely not normal. After discussing the matter with Leica, I sent back my binoculars for evaluation, and they exchanged it for a new pair of Ultravid Silverline 8x20.

The new Silverline are simply absolutely outstanding! Now I understand why people love the Ultravid 8x20. Their sharpness is outstanding, and optically they are better than my (already good) Zeiss Terra 8x25.
Initially I was worried that the Silverline, due to their light-colored lens barrels, would suffer from flare more than the blacklines, but I don't notice any undue flare.
So I am very grateful to Leica's outstanding customer service, and I am in love with my UV 8x20 Silverline.

Hello All,

Has anybody compared the Swarovski 8 x 25 CL to these 2 binoculars.

It will be interesting to know.

Cheers.

In the end, I realized that the Leica diopter setting depended on how far away I was focusing, and this was likely not normal. After discussing the matter with Leica, I sent back my binoculars for evaluation, and they exchanged it for a new pair of Ultravid Silverline 8x20.

The new Silverline are simply absolutely outstanding! Now I understand why people love the Ultravid 8x20. Their sharpness is outstanding, and optically they are better than my (already good) Zeiss Terra 8x25.
Initially I was worried that the Silverline, due to their light-colored lens barrels, would suffer from flare more than the blacklines, but I don't notice any undue flare.
So I am very grateful to Leica's outstanding customer service, and I am in love with my UV 8x20 Silverline.

Glad you got this sorted and thanks for reporting back. I wonder why they exchanged for the Silverline. Is back-stock of this bin dwindling?

--AP

Hello All,

Has anybody compared the Swarovski 8 x 25 CL to these 2 binoculars.

It will be interesting to know.

Cheers.
I have and IMO the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P is in a class above both of these. It has better optics than both and is more a competitor of the Zeiss Victory 8x25. I prefer the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P over the Zeiss Victory 8x25 because the eye cups match the eye relief better for me and even though the Victory has a wider FOV the CL-P has sharper edges and a bigger sweet spot so it makes up for the smaller FOV with more usable FOV that is in sharp focus instead of having the softer edges of the Victory.

I purchased a Leica UV 8x20 a few weeks ago, and with glasses it's very difficult to enjoy using them. I intend to add the Swarovski 8x25 CL later this month. In all of my research and reading about the Swaro, the consensus seems overwhelming in its favor, and the exit pupil advantage over the Leica (3.1 to 2.5 mm) will help a lot.

Last edited:
I purchased a Leica UV 8x20 a few weeks ago, and with glasses it's very difficult to enjoy using them. I intend to add the Swarovski 8x25 CL later this month. In all of my research and reading about the Swaro, the consensus seems overwhelming in its favor, and the exit pupil advantage over the Leica (3.1 to 2.5 mm) will help a lot.

I recommend that you try the Zeiss 8x25 Victory before getting the Swarovski 8x25 CL. A good number of users prefer the Zeiss for various reasons, and it is certainly a joy to use with glasses.

As for your issues with the Leica 8x20 Ultravid, are you not getting enough eye-relief? If it is not that and more a matter of maintaining pupil alignment, make sure you are unfolding them asymmetrically to get a consistent grip (First, on the side corresponding to the hand you use for focus, fold it out _all_ the way to the stop. Next, unfold the other side the appropriate amount to get the right IPD for your eyes).

--AP

Last edited:
I own, and regularly use/compare all four pockets discussed above. All work well for me with close fitting sunglasses - 100% FOV - and without glasses with eyecups either fully up or down depending on lighting conditions. Based on personal preferences and ergonomics I rank them:

1. Zeiss VP 8x25. Widest and most immersive FOV. Single hinge design works best for me. Superb handling for a pocket.

2/3. Tie SW 8x25 and Leica UV 8x20. Ergonomics of the Leica actually work better for me than the SW. If bigger EP is important to you the edge goes to the SW, if ultra compact is more important, the Leica is a jewel.

4. Zeiss Terra 8x25. Assuming you get an example with good hinge tension, this is a very good buy. Ergonomics second only to the VP. As expected given the difference in price the overall image quality lags a bit behind the alphas.

Mike

"A good number of users prefer the Zeiss for various reasons, and it is certainly a joy to use with glasses."

That is the critical factor in liking the Zeiss Victory 8x25. If you wear glasses you will probably like it but if you don't the eye cups are too short for the eye relief so unless you float it away from your face you will get blackout's. Then you have to decide if you like a bigger FOV with soft edges as in the Zeiss or a smaller FOV with sharp edges as in the Swarovski. It is a matter of preference.

I recommend that you try the Zeiss 8x25 Victory before getting the Swarovski 8x25 CL. A good number of users prefer the Zeiss for various reasons, and it is certainly a joy to use with glasses.
As for your issues with the Leica 8x20 Ultravid, are you not getting enough eye-relief? If it is not that and more a matter of maintaining pupil alignment, make sure you are unfolding them asymmetrically to get a consistent grip (First, on the side corresponding to the hand you use for focus, fold it out _all_ the way to the stop. Next, unfold the other side the appropriate amount to get the right IPD for your eyes).
--AP

I won't have access to the Zeiss. When the Leica is folded out so that I get the perfect circle picture with best FOV, just a microscopic shift on my glasses and the view collapses. It's the tiny exit pupils I'm sure.

"A good number of users prefer the Zeiss for various reasons, and it is certainly a joy to use with glasses."

That is the critical factor in liking the Zeiss Victory 8x25. If you wear glasses you will probably like it but if you don't the eye cups are too short for the eye relief so unless you float it away from your face you will get blackout's. Then you have to decide if you like a bigger FOV with soft edges as in the Zeiss or a smaller FOV with sharp edges as in the Swarovski. It is a matter of preference.

Dennis,

Not to argue with you, nor repeat myself, but:

The 8x25 VP works perfectly for me with or without close fitting glasses including without glasses with eyecups either fully down or fully extended either braced comfortably against my lower brow or inserted comfortably in my eye sockets. Any/all variations above result in effortless eye placement, 100% FOV and immediate pin point target acquisition for me. While undoubtedly the ER does not work for you and others without eyeglasses, based on my experience and similar experience of others, I do not think the fact that someone does not use glasses should be considered a drop dead deal breaker unless a person confirms that problem by actually trying the VP for themselves.

Did I mention I love my SW 8x25 as well ;) !!

Mike

...I won't have access to the Zeiss...

Oh, well, that's a shame. The Swarovski is a fine bin but I find the Zeiss worlds better for handling and view, and I find it somehow one of the great bins of all time rather than just another capable bin. In this assessment, I am not alone, as you'll seen in the review thread on it. https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=359737

You won't find too many reviews of them side-by-side because the Victory was released well after the Swarovski.

...When the Leica is folded out so that I get the perfect circle picture with best FOV, just a microscopic shift on my glasses and the view collapses. It's the tiny exit pupils I'm sure.

The larger exit pupil of an 8x25 will help in this regard, and the Zeiss 8x25 is especially good in this regard, but again, I encourage you to experiment as I described before to find a comfortable repeatable precise grip (I suggest the asymmetrical unfold to facilitate this). It will help a lot and you might be able to get a lot more out of your Leica 8x20 Ultravid than you realize.

--AP

I won't have access to the Zeiss. When the Leica is folded out so that I get the perfect circle picture with best FOV, just a microscopic shift on my glasses and the view collapses. It's the tiny exit pupils I'm sure.
The little Leica is way finickier than either the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P or Zeiss 8x25 Victory. It has a smaller FOV also. It simply is not going to perform like the bigger 25mm compacts. Just like an 8x25 is not going to perform like an 8x32 or 8x42. IMO for example there is no comparison between the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and the Zeiss SF 8x42 in all around performance or comfort. No way.

Last edited:
Dennis,

Not to argue with you, nor repeat myself, but:

The 8x25 VP works perfectly for me with or without close fitting glasses including without glasses with eyecups either fully down or fully extended either braced comfortably against my lower brow or inserted comfortably in my eye sockets. Any/all variations above result in effortless eye placement, 100% FOV and immediate pin point target acquisition for me. While undoubtedly the ER does not work for you and others without eyeglasses, based on my experience and similar experience of others, I do not think the fact that someone does not use glasses should be considered a drop dead deal breaker unless a person confirms that problem by actually trying the VP for themselves.

Did I mention I love my SW 8x25 as well ;) !!

Mike
It is probably all about the depth of your eye sockets. Mine are shallow and yours are probably deeper. The Zeiss Victory is not as good for people with shallow eye sockets like me. Your right you probably have to try them yourself. The Zeiss will work for me but I have to cup my hands around them and rest my hands on my forehead. I have moved away from compacts except for the tiny Nikon MIcron 7x15 which I carry in my front pocket. Give me a good 32mm or 42mm and I am happy.

The little Leica is way finickier than either the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P or Zeiss 8x25 Victory. It has a smaller FOV also. It simply is not going to perform like the bigger 25mm compacts. Just like an 8x25 is not going to perform like an 8x32 or 8x42. IMO there is no comparison between the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and the Zeiss SF 8x42 in all around performance. No way.

Speaking of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory, I was comparing the specs to the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25, and couldn't see a significant difference. I checked the 23 reviews of the Terra at B&H, and where B&H reviewers tend to be extremely picky, they were extremely favorable to the Terra 8x25.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back