• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

female old squaw on Winnipeg River (1 Viewer)

Norman Searle

Canada
Hi from a newbie to the forum.

I live on the banks of the Winnipeg River overlooking an open water bay. This does not freeze up at any time. It has been down to -30C (-22F) overnight here.

Today I am watching a female Old Squaw swimming and diving with 3 other duck like diving birds. I am unable to id them. They have duck like bills. They have a dark ruddy to black head, black back and light grey to white breast. They have a distinctive cut-off of the dark head half way down the neck to a very white neck below. One has a grey breast and belly and the other two white. A distinctive marker is the black back and the upper sides are dark but lightly mottled progressing down the side to ever more white mottling down to the white breast below. A second distinctive marking is a bright blaze on the leading edge of the outer wing. This is more distinct on two of the three (males?). These three are also slighty bigger than the Old Squaw. I am surprised I can't make an id from my books. BTW, I have seen two Bald Eagles over the open water in the last few days. Cheers.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Your birds sound like female, and first winter male Common Goldeneye to me.

The name Old Squaw has fallen out of favour and this species is generally referred to as long Tailed Ducks. Not apparently for political correctness but to get in step with the rest of the world.

The name Old Squaw has fallen out of favour and this species is generally referred to as long Tailed Ducks. Not apparently for political correctness but to get in step with the rest of the world.
Both - it was part alignment with global usage, and also part by request of biologists working with First Nation groups in Arctic Canada who consider the word 'sq**w' very offensive (it means 'prostitute' originally, and was used pejoratively of Inuit women by other tribes from further south) :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back