• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window Clamp for Spotting scope (1 Viewer)

Andrew H

has anyone used one of these window clamps advertised for use with a Scope.....I have this slight fear of tightning onto the window and breaking the glass.......Any one have similar thoughts or problems with theres...?

Hi Andrew,why not give this a go instead,less expense,in the dry,probably sturdier and nothing hanging out of the window then either.

Attachments

• scope in car.jpg
    scope in car.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 183
mmmm good idea, I generally have a front seat passenger in the car with me as well, Im just worried that clamping the thing too tight, may break the window glass........

Don't worry Andrew.
I've been using window clamps for round 15 years without breaking one single glass. My real problem is how unfit is my angled Zeiss 85 for my tourist car , my head usually gets in contact with the roof! The only compulsory caution must be not driving with the scope on the window. Usually my scope goes over the copilot seat . It demands less time to fix the clamp than go the glass down. One friend of mine uses a full tripod head with fast plate, but even with my light manfrotto window clamp the 60X are full usable. More advantages, most animals feel more relaxed next to cars than next to people, when a strong wind blows you can put the car body between the wind and the scope wich improves stability.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back