• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (39 Viewers)

a few from today

nice day black swan moved to moors green pecker seen along north moors path also sprawk with prey through.

Attachments

• DSC06260.JPG
    DSC06260.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC06265.jpg
    DSC06265.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC06266.JPG
    DSC06266.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC06274.jpg
    DSC06274.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 70
Hi all and Happy New Year,

I saw the black swan out of the water at the front of the hide at about 4.15pm, it had no rings which surprised me!

Thank you to the person who put my binoculars cleaning cloth on my windscreen, it must have fallen out of my car :)

Attachments

• BD43EB5F-8F0C-43E2-BBA1-4DD1B591EADC.jpeg
    BD43EB5F-8F0C-43E2-BBA1-4DD1B591EADC.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 83
From the Moors Pool early morning Tim reports:

3 Shelduck, 11 Curlew, 2 Little Egrets flew over, 2 Little Grebe, Kingfisher, Water Rail

The last Quarterfinal was won by American Wigeon (58%) with the second spot being taken by Spotted Sandpiper (22%). Failing to make it to the Final 8 were Red-footed Falcon (11%) and Boneparte's Gull (9%).

The first Semi-Final is currently underway between:

Green-winged Teal
Common Crane
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Yellowlegs

The Top 2 make it into Saturday's Grand Final.

A comprehensive victory for Green-winged Teal with 60% of the vote with Common Crane in a clear second place with 26%. Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Yellowlegs could only manage 8% and 6% respectively.

The other Semi-Final now underway pitches against each other:

American Wigeon
Cattle Egret
Spotted Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper

Cattle Egret is presently romping away with it but its very tight amongst the other three for the final spot in the Grand Final.

Work Party 7th January

This coming Tuesday we will resume the work of clearing scrub and bramble from the shore around Amys marsh. The crassula pile will be burned .
Please meet at the East hide 8.45ish.
John:t:
Julie is making cake
Also wellies will be needed.:t:B :)

A comprehensive victory for Green-winged Teal with 60% of the vote with Common Crane in a clear second place with 26%. Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Yellowlegs could only manage 8% and 6% respectively.

The other Semi-Final now underway pitches against each other:

American Wigeon
Cattle Egret
Spotted Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper

Cattle Egret is presently romping away with it but its very tight amongst the other three for the final spot in the Grand Final.

A very clear margin of victory for Cattle Egret with a massive 80% of the vote with White-rumped Sandpiper a very distant second place with 8%, closely followed by Spotted Sandpiper (7%) and American Wigeon (the only one to have occurred on the reserve but deemed an escape back in the 1970s) with 5%.

The Twitter poll in the Grand Final for the most likely addition to the reserve list is currently up and running, closing tomorrow evening. The four finalists are:

Green-winged Teal
Cattle Egret
Common Crane
White-rumped Sandpiper

With over 100 votes already cast Cattle Egret has established a strong lead with 62%; its nearest rival - Green-winged Teal - is on 27%. Will the next 24 hours of voting changes things?

From the Flashes early morning Andy P reports:

Tawny Owl - new for the year - hooted 3 times at about 0715, 2 Barn Owls, 4 Green Sands, 11 Curlew, 12 Lapwing, 3 Shelduck.

From the Moors Pool this morning Andy P reports:

Jack Snipe, 70+ Snipe, 55 Lapwing, 14 Shoveler, 10 Gadwall (including 6 on the North Moors Pool), 44 Teal, 22 Tufted Duck, 2 Little Grebe, Little Egret, 2 Cetti's Warbler, Raven

An update on the Bewick's Swan

For those readers of the forum who either don't follow Twitter or I haven't spoken with in the meantime the Bewick's Swan that was briefly at the Flashes on 30th December was sighted at Slimbridge the following morning. Steve Heaven, a Bewick's Swan researcher with the WWT, informed me of this via a Tweet.

The bird has over-wintered at Slimbridge before and is called Pom. I believe that individuals are recognisable due to their unique bill patterns.

The Grand Final of the most likely next addition to the Upton Warren list has just closed with 125 votes cast and CATTLE EGRET was the clear winner with 62% of the vote.

Now watch as something completely left-field turns up!!

For those readers of the forum who either don't follow Twitter or I haven't spoken with in the meantime the Bewick's Swan that was briefly at the Flashes on 30th December was sighted at Slimbridge the following morning. Steve Heaven, a Bewick's Swan researcher with the WWT, informed me of this via a Tweet.

The bird has over-wintered at Slimbridge before and is called Pom. I believe that individuals are recognisable due to their unique bill patterns.

Many years ago I saw a folder at Slimbridge with every Bewick's Swan bill pattern drawn in minute detail and each bird was identified with an individual name.:t:

At the Moors Pool this afternoon Andy P reports:

8 Shelduck, 8 Shoveler, 6-8 Gadwall, 46 Teal, 28 Tufted Duck, GC Grebe, Little Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, 28 Snipe, 58 Lapwing, c300 BH Gull, 17 LBB Gull, 2 Herring Gull, 24 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 12 Fieldfare, 4 Redwing, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

2 Barn Owls, 2 Green Sandpiper, 11 Curlew, 8 Lapwing, 4 Shelduck, 40 Teal, c400 BH Gull, 12 LBB Gull, Herring Gull, c150 Canada Geese, 6 Greylag Geese, Cetti's Warbler

Todays Work Party Amys Marsh

:t:The first work party of the year was well attended by 28 of us:eek!:...it was a good job that we had 4 off sick otherwise there wouldn't have been enough cake:-O

Today we went to work on the southern boundary area of the Moors. We haven't been here for 2 years, so I was sure what we were going to face as the area cannot be viewed well enough from the hides...what we did have was a bank of bramble and scrub at the southern end of the Lagoon. The shoreline and access from the water to the now diminished grassy area was completely blocked.
The task was daunting but with so many people helping there was no need to worry.
With 3 brush cutters hard at work and plenty of rakers the obstruction was soon removed.
We need another week to remove the other areas close by and this will hopefully open up the habitat for a wide range of birds and other wildlife.

The Pile of wrotting crassula (New Zealand pygmy weed) left to breakdown under the large blue tarpaulin for the last 15 months was burned off or should I say we attempted to burn it.

Two of the windows in the west hide had been sticking ..these were sorted by our maintenance crew.

Thanks to the 28 crew today:t:
Andy A. Bob G. Bob O. Bobby P. Bob R. Charles. Chris S. Ellen A. Graham L. Ian B. Ian J. Ian R (newbie). Jim B. John C. John H. Julie W. Keith M. Kim W. Nick F. Nick L. Paul M. Roger S. Steve S. Steve T. Sue T
Terry W. Tony B and me

Also thanks to Julie for the cake:eat:

Next week.
Tony is cake making

Check out my twitter for film of today's work:t: John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back