• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ES80 vs Kowa 821 (1 Viewer)

You've got a good scope at your eye, Niall - it seems to be one of the best small scopes, and possibly the best scope that Opticron sells. I know what you mean about "over £600" - I was in that predicament and felt the same way.

Thanks Steve...

Just back from my first outing with my new "second hand" scope... and what a first outing it was !

A pair of wonderful avocets turned up this afternoon on my local patch (http://www.birdweb.net/broadmeadow.html) ... a rarity in this part of the world.

While I was not first to find them (two fellow birders got there first with their bins, but had no scopes with them) mine was the first scope on the scene minutes later, and we had great views.... A good omen for my scope I think !

Full scale twitch ongoing there at present !

cheers
Niall

I wouldn't say it's as big as in the UK, but it's definitely growing... There are of course much less of us over here (only 3.5 million or so) ;)

Niall

As big as here and growing, eh? That's surely a good thing as it might help preserve habitat? Do you have an equivalent of the RSPB?

Last edited:
Leif said:
A few days ago I turned the zoom on Jupiter, Saturn and Venus, and what a lovely sight they were. Saturns rings were as clear as day.

Leif,

I found Venus and Jupiter but how to find Saturn? The sky is full of stars...

Any tips?

Cheers, Jens.

jebir said:
Leif,

I found Venus and Jupiter but how to find Saturn? The sky is full of stars...

Any tips?

Cheers, Jens.

It is about in the middle of those two in the same orbit. It is less bright than the other two and has a dim star "south-east" of it. When you spot it, it is very easy to find again.

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back