• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rubber armor loose ... normal? (1 Viewer)

Hi GG.

Why not take a look at the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B with its new "Optical Box?"

Jan Van Daalen has high praise for it! "A little jewel from another planet!"

There is no reason it shouldn't work well with spectacles.

"By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3629332&postcount=23

Bob

Yes, the new CL is on the table. I'm hoping the nature store will have them.
It's the only store around that has binoculars on hand. They used to have the old CL, so I'm thinking they'll have the new one. I may go up there one day this month or next.

The only binoculars I am interested in replacing my heavy Ultravid are:

Swaro EL SV 8x32 - my top choice since it's so exquisite and has long ER. It's one I've always admired.

Swaro CL B 8x30 - Hoping color representation is similar to original CL. Not loving the new aesthetic design however. I like the look of the original.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - getting a big heavy though at 22 ounces. Tried it once in store and worked quite well with my glasses and had a comfortable view.

Ultravid HD+ 8x32 is the one I always wanted, but sadly ER is too short.

Others I would like to try just for fun:

Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25

Eye relief is listed as 16mm for the new CL and 16.5mm for the Victory.
Weight is 490g and 290g respectively.
I think both these options should provide more optical performance and viewing comfort than one may expect.
Depending on how much of an issue weight (and size) are one is close to the more standard 32 size in that regard while the other is a true light weight pocket size.
Without these considerations I'd personally skip the 30 and jump to a 32, that's why my collection steps up from 25 to 32 and so on as the 30's aren't really a compact. However if the CL weight is acceptable for your shoulder then it may well be the perfect compromise.

Last edited:
The only binoculars I am interested in replacing my heavy Ultravid are:

Swaro EL SV 8x32 - my top choice since it's so exquisite and has long ER. It's one I've always admired.

Swaro CL B 8x30 - Hoping color representation is similar to original CL. Not loving the new aesthetic design however. I like the look of the original.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - getting a big heavy though at 22 ounces. Tried it once in store and worked quite well with my glasses and had a comfortable view.

Ultravid HD+ 8x32 is the one I always wanted, but sadly ER is too short.

Others I would like to try just for fun:

Kowa BDII XD 6.5x32

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25

Your body will let you know if you can accommodate your 32 of choice but hopefully if it doesn't work out you'll have had the opportunity to test that out before buying.
If you're not having dramas with your current CL and it's weight is more or less the same as the new one then the new model may scratch your itch.
Definitely try the Victory if you can and give it a good go. If they work for you then the light weight surely is a bonus.

Your body will let you know if you can accommodate your 32 of choice but hopefully if it doesn't work out you'll have had the opportunity to test that out before buying.
If you're not having dramas with your current CL and it's weight is more or less the same as the new one then the new model may scratch your itch.
Definitely try the Victory if you can and give it a good go. If they work for you then the light weight surely is a bonus.

I have no issues with my CL. I hope to be able to try the new CL and the new Victory pocket at the store next time I go. I don't know what they have there now in the display case, as I haven't been up there for several months. Would be nice if they had some used binos, but they rarely have any used.

I've always notice just a few ounces lighter in the field can make a big difference after a few hours. I think even the 21 ounce EL would work well, but if I can get even lighter weight that works for me that would be nice.

I do have a desire for the EL 8x32 though for its all around excellence and very nice ergonomic feel... it's a beauty.

Leica responded back and said there's "there's no cause for concern if they handle okay otherwise..."
He did mention if it gets worse over time to send it in and they'll take a look.

They do use adhesive. He said some stress from usage over time can cause it to separate a little, but in my case
not to worry about it.

Eye relief is listed as 16mm for the new CL and 16.5mm for the Victory.
Weight is 490g and 290g respectively.
I think both these options should provide more optical performance and viewing comfort than one may expect.
Depending on how much of an issue weight (and size) are one is close to the more standard 32 size in that regard while the other is a true light weight pocket size.
Without these considerations I'd personally skip the 30 and jump to a 32, that's why my collection steps up from 25 to 32 and so on as the 30's aren't really a compact. However if the CL weight is acceptable for your shoulder then it may well be the perfect compromise.
I know that GG has said that one of the biggest factors in ultimately going with the Leica 7x42 (apart from the quality, sharpness, colours etc) was the 'ease of view'. Very important when you are wearing glasses - and very difficult to replicate as the EP size drops.

The Swarovski's maximize whatever EP the format dictates by having generous 'randpupille' in their designs - basically more margin of error in eye placement and alignment. Sounds like the 'out of this world' New 8x30 CL may exhibit that too .... provided one can live with alien looks ! :-O The 8x32 SV also has an extra wide Fov so that also helps with the feeling of an immersive easy view too.

I'm sure GG will give the choice quite some thought and trialing. Stability of viewing and Ergonomics will be a key factor too - in many ways the ideal is more one of larger size (easier to hold and so less stress on tendons and ligaments etc) AND lighter weight .... difficult to come by.

GG if you do end up with the Swarovski 8x32 SV can you please get one in tan armour so that I can live vicariously ! o:D

Chosun :gh:

I know that GG has said that one of the biggest factors in ultimately going with the Leica 7x42 (apart from the quality, sharpness, colours etc) was the 'ease of view'. Very important when you are wearing glasses - and very difficult to replicate as the EP size drops.

The Swarovski's maximize whatever EP the format dictates by having generous 'randpupille' in their designs - basically more margin of error in eye placement and alignment. Sounds like the 'out of this world' New 8x30 CL may exhibit that too .... provided one can live with alien looks ! :-O The 8x32 SV also has an extra wide Fov so that also helps with the feeling of an immersive easy view too.

I'm sure GG will give the choice quite some thought and trialing. Stability of viewing and Ergonomics will be a key factor too - in many ways the ideal is more one of larger size (easier to hold and so less stress on tendons and ligaments etc) AND lighter weight .... difficult to come by.

GG if you do end up with the Swarovski 8x32 SV can you please get one in tan armour so that I can live vicariously ! o:D

Chosun :gh:

Yep ! about the EP size and comfort with eyeglasses. 8x32 EL is gonna be better than 8x30 I think.

Yep! about the tan EL. I much prefer the tan over the green. I have the tan CL...real pretty. I don't like Swaro's shade of green. I do like the color green, but think Kowa green and Meopta green are the right tone greens compared to the Swaro green.

I'm not trying a lot of bins. I don't have access to them. If the Audubon store has the new CL I'll try it but I doubt it will be my choice over the EL. Also take a peek at the 25mm Victory but that's not going to be my primary bin (too small).
Really the only 8x32 bin I like with long eye relief is the EL and I already know it will work well from trying it a few times in the past. I like the conquest hd but that's getting a bit heavy at 22 ounces and it's a bit bulky for 32mm. I prefer the EL and that's what I'll most likely get if I can pony up the cash from selling stuff.

Last edited:
I got some other stuff on my ebay site too that will go towards the new bino...if they sell.
Some things have been up for quite a while with a bunch of watchers. Hope that's not gonna be the same
fate for the Ultravid. I have watchers and I just know they're waiting for the price to come down. I priced it
fairly and have no other competition at this point. I don't see any other 7x42 used plus models anywhere online.
But people want something for nothing. Can't count how many times I found great bargains for items on eBay with a ton of watchers and I would swoop in and buy it. People just keep waiting for the price to keep dropping and never pull the trigger. They don't know a good deal when they see it...they want more. I've bought some great stuff for cheap that way.

Last edited:
I think 7X is tough to sell, as compared to other formats, it is popular here on BF but other locations I am not sure. You could also list them on Astromart, $15.00 covers you for a year to sell or buy, and you would not have to pay that *^%%$# commission to the bay, which keeps rising.
They should sell, but selling premium glass takes time and patience these days.

Additionally some watchers are waiting to see if a certain product sells at a certain price, they are not necessarily waiting for the price to come down, since they are not really interested in buying the product.

Andy W.

Last edited:
I think 7X is tough to sell, as compared to other formats, it is popular here on BF but other locations I am not sure. You could also list them on Astromart, $15.00 covers you for a year to sell or buy, and you would not have to pay that *^%%$# commission to the bay, which keeps rising.
They should sell, but selling premium glass takes time and patience these days.

Additionally some watchers are waiting to see if a certain product sells at a certain price, they are not necessarily waiting for the price to come down, since they are not really interested in buying the product.

Andy W.

Yep I think you're right on all counts here. I realize some watchers are just sellers. I been selling on eBay for a long time now and notice lately things are taking longer to sell in general and part of that may be tax being applied now.

I'll just have to be patient. Thanks for reminding me about astromart. I believe I have an old account with them. I'll post it there too.

The Swarovski's maximize whatever EP the format dictates by having generous 'randpupille' in their designs - basically more margin of error in eye placement and alignment. Sounds like the 'out of this world' New 8x30 CL may exhibit that too .... provided one can live with alien looks !

Swarovski's new 8x30 CL is an excellent little binocular with very good ease of view, even for glasses wearers, but the "Randpupille" is almond-shaped, which is not surprising considering the dimensions of the barrels (and prisms).
On my 7x42 SLC and 10x42 EL SV the Randpupille is gibbous moon-shaped.

John

For some people the Beechers Mirage 7x30 might be something to consider.
I don't know how it works with eyeglasses. Maybe prescription lenses could be attached to the eyepieces.

It weighs 3 ounces.
9 degree field.
8ft to infinity.

I haven't tried one yet, but at least I know it exists if I needed it.

Regards,
B.

For some people the Beechers Mirage 7x30 might be something to consider.
I don't know how it works with eyeglasses. Maybe prescription lenses could be attached to the eyepieces.

It weighs 3 ounces.
9 degree field.
8ft to infinity.

I haven't tried one yet, but at least I know it exists if I needed it.

Regards,
B.

These appear to be Galilean binoculars like the Vixen SG 2,1x42.
The deeper you crawl into them, the greater the FOV :-O
Nigh-on useless for glasses wearers though.

John

The smaller Beechers Mirage are Galilean, but the larger ones I think use high reflection mirrors to provide an upright image similar to the Russian 30x50.
I don't think that a Galilean 7x30 would provide a 9 degree field.

I think that Dennis may have looked through these.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Even the 4.5x seems to be prismatic with long eye relief eyepieces.
The weight saving seems to be due to the use of mirrors instead of traditional glass prisms.
From memory, the inventor maybe worked with NASA.

Last edited:
There are instructions for clinicians to adjust the 7x30 Beechers Mirage to the patient.

The correct distance from the eye lens to the eye is 10mm. But I don't know if one can fit corrective lenses for astigmatism.

I supppose the eyepieces are 3 element for such a low weight.

Warnings with the instructions.
Do not look or stare through binoculars at direct sunlight.
Do not walk or run while looking through the binoculars.
Do not use or look through the binoculars while riding a bicycle or operating motorized vehicles.
Do not place binoculars down where direct sun rays could enter through the optics, fire may occur.

An Allen wrench is supplied for various adjustments.

For someone with limitations on weight etc. I think that these binoculars allow reasonable birdwatching viewing.

B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back