• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit babies under threat - need advice (1 Viewer)

pqowieuryt

Hello everyone.

I have a bird box in my garden in a tall pear tree which has a nest full of baby blue tits. They are at least a couple weeks old. I have been keeping an eye on the nest for the last few days as my two cats have been eyeing up the nest - the chicks are very noisy when it comes to feeding! The box is too high for the cats to reach at the moment but I know for sure that when the fledglings start jumping, the cats will be straight on them and I cannot always be there to prevent the cats from massacring the babies when they start to leave the nest.

I am considering taking the box in and caring for the babies myself (I have done this in the past with chicks that fell from the nest very young). I am able to get mealworms from a pet store near where I live, and I currently have the time on my hands to make sure they are cared for properly. However I would feel incredibly guilty as the parents will be devastated, and I am not sure it is the best idea, however, I cannot think of any alternatives which will prevent them from being killed, or whether I should let nature run its course. I cannot keep the cats indoors are they are very much outdoor cats and spend the majority of their time in the garden and surrounding areas, and I do not own a litter box.

I need some advice ASAP!
Thanks!

One thing you should not do is interfere with the nest box. The only solution is to keep the cats indoors until the chicks have fledged. It won’t be for long and I’m sure the cats will adapt, especially if you can entertain them. Welcome to BF.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back