• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler - South Africa (1 Viewer)

Keanumrc

Hi all

I recently photographed this warbler at the edge of a large reedbed without any stretches of open water in Pretoria, South Africa. It seems to have the general looks of an acrocephalus warbler, and the heavy bill seems to fit Great Reed Warbler (The smaller reed warblers and Lesser Swamp-Warbler have more slender bills, and Lesser Swamp-Warbler also prefers reedbeds with deeper, open water). However, I don't feel that this bird fits Great Reed Warbler exactly in terms of giss - with it looking rather "baby-faced" with a stubbier bill. It was difficult to judge the bird's size, but my initial impression of it being about the size of a Ploceus weaver made me instantly jump to the conclusion of GRW, although it didn't appear huge and they tend to be a little bigger than a weaver I think. In the last photo I think that I can just make out a rather long primary projection. It would be great to hear any other opinions. Thanks!

Kind regards
Keanu

Attachments

• Warb1.jpg
    Warb1.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 59
  • Warb2.jpg
    Warb2.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 53
  • Warb3.jpg
    Warb3.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Warb4.jpg
    Warb4.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 43
Hi all,
Kean more than one race of GRW. occurs in Africa. The colours tend to veer towards extreme rufescent in some photos but the thrush like, deep base to the bill indicates, great reed warbler. The really stout legs and over large feet are also a good indicator. In the flight shot #2, the extra long primary projection of GRW. is evident. Not sure why #4 appears so rufous like in a swamp warbler!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back