• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (6 Viewers)

Martin as promised here are the head shots of the decapitated mammal from the Bishop track.

Bob

Attachments

• head-of.jpg
    head-of.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 62
  • heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 57
Beautiful shots of the harrier Bob. I must upgrade my bridge camera as they never focus on birds in the air, which during migration times, most of them are!
Any suggestions for a decent camera and lens? Mike

Congratulations Bob & Patrick on some super photos. I was at Albufera yesterday, but missed the Harrier. I spent most of the time at the Bishop hide, hoping to see Bob's Spotted Crake and Bluethroat, but didn't see them either! That's birding, have to be in the right place at the right time.

Thanks Mike , Clive ,there was also a German chap in the hide when the Harrier flew through with a massive Nikon Camera, if he connected with the bird he will have got some great shots believe me.
Mike I would recommend maybe a Canon 7d2 DSLR along with a Canon 100-400 MK 2 Lens,a great combination but it does not come cheap.
I always buy used if possible and you can pick up some great kit on the Birdforum Classified Page.
This is quite a lightweight set up and very fast for birds in flight.
I am sure Nikon will have the equivalent set up but I don't know much about them.
Just sorted some shots from my first day up at the Formentor viewpoint with the Accentor and the Blue Rock Thrush.
You guys are sooooooo lucky to be based out in Majorca,lashing snow outside here now in South Shields .
Camera wont be seeing daylight for some time believe me.

Cheers

Bob

Attachments

• BF-A1.jpg
    BF-A1.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 57
  • BF-A2.jpg
    BF-A2.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 48
  • BFAA3.jpg
    BFAA3.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 34
  • BFRT1.jpg
    BFRT1.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 65
Some fabulous shots Bob. I have made a note of the camera and will look into it, I need something not too heavy so that sounds good.
It’s very frustrating because I often get migrating raptors full frame in my camera, only to find when I get home that every single one is out of focus. The joy that good photos would bring me would probably justify the cost. Mind you, I haven’t looked yet! Mike

Very high cold winds here in the south-east but I managed a couple of hours Seawatching. Thousands of shearwaters were having fun and it was very entertaining. Mixed Balearic and Scopoli’s although the Balearics outnumbered the Scopoli’s by about 6:1
What really strikes me is just how variable both species are, the Scopoli’s ranged from grey upper parts, through a fawn colour to rich rufous. I had no idea they could be so different, another ID headache! Mike

Rubbish photos but just to demonstrate the variation.

Attachments

• 1C793BA7-8357-4D0C-BA5D-C1D7DCEC3281.jpeg
    1C793BA7-8357-4D0C-BA5D-C1D7DCEC3281.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 6720B076-57A6-4D3B-B8DE-9DF029DF26DE.jpeg
    6720B076-57A6-4D3B-B8DE-9DF029DF26DE.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 92
Hi Mike, I have the same Canon kit that Bob suggested and it is a great combination for flight shots. Very rapid focus, and you can select groups of focus points making it easier to focus on a flying bird. The 7D mark 2 body also has dual processors which allow faster multiple exposures. As Bob said, it doesn't come cheap, but if you look for secondhand, the earlier 7D body is worth considering.

Also Canon do frequent cashback promotions, there was £215 cashback on this lens this winter, but unfortunately this not currently available, but it's worth checking these promotions if you plan buying later.

Congratulations Bob & Patrick on some super photos. I was at Albufera yesterday, but missed the Harrier. I spent most of the time at the Bishop hide, hoping to see Bob's Spotted Crake and Bluethroat, but didn't see them either! That's birding, have to be in the right place at the right time.

Tailking of Harriers and being in the right place at the right time reminded me when a juvenile Montagu's Harrier dropped in front of Bishop 1 hide in September 2009. I was digiscoping with a 4 megapixel camera back then but got some frame-filling shots. But still gutted about missing the Hen and Pallid in the last few days!

Attachments

• Montagu's Harrier_N7750.jpg
    Montagu's Harrier_N7750.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Montagu's Harrier_N7763.jpg
    Montagu's Harrier_N7763.jpg
    864 KB · Views: 74
Lovely shots you got there Clive, just to show that anything can turn up and if your luck is in then its fantastic.
I liken the opening of a shutter in the hides around S Albufera to opening up a Xmas Present, you never know what you are going to see, sometimes you are disappointed and other times exhilarated .
Next batch attached were from Lluc Monastery which we visited to get some Vulture views, on the day the Black Vulture were visible but very distant ,then the local Firecrest put on a great show, the Male bird was feeding the Female with big juicy caterpillars but too quick for me to get the shot.
Nevertheless the best views I have ever had or ever expect to have of these smart little birds .

Bob

Attachments

• BFFC1.jpg
    BFFC1.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 58
  • BFFR2.jpg
    BFFR2.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 46
  • BFFC3.jpg
    BFFC3.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 51
  • BFFC4.jpg
    BFFC4.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 43
Very high cold winds here in the south-east but I managed a couple of hours Seawatching. Thousands of shearwaters were having fun and it was very entertaining. Mixed Balearic and Scopoli’s although the Balearics outnumbered the Scopoli’s by about 6:1
What really strikes me is just how variable both species are, the Scopoli’s ranged from grey upper parts, through a fawn colour to rich rufous. I had no idea they could be so different, another ID headache! Mike

Mike how close in do the Shearwaters come and what is the area called where you go to do your seawatching,is it the Southerly point were the lighthouse is called Cap Salines ?
I only ever visited the area where you get the Flamingo and wader which if I remember rightly was was Salobrar de Campos,it was September and the road down to it was very busy because of the popular beach at the end of the road.
Mind you we had some great views of the waders there.
We never got to see the Lighthouse Part as we ran out of time and had to head back North where we were based.
Maybe next time around I will get an early start and have a good look around that part of the Island.

Bob

Many thanks Clive and Bob for your excellent advice. Having seen the results, it will be very hard to go back to my weedy bridge camera so I will just have to take the plunge.
Bob. The east coast is by far the best, Punta de n’Amer, Porto Colom or my local lighthouse at Porto Petro.
The Shearwaters come really close at times, yet other days they are far out, it depends on the winds. At their peak, the they go past at about 2,000 per hour, mixed groups of both Balearic and Scopoli’s.
When they reach the most south-easterly point, they then fly diagonally towards Cabrera, thus leaving the coastline and going further out to sea. For this reason, the lighthouse at the Cap de Ses Salines is not the best place in my experience. Yesterday they were close in and the wind had an easterly bias which I believe are the best conditions.
Mike

Last edited:
I did visit the salt pans this morning for a while. The light is sharp and grasses are very green covered in wild flowers so the Island is a picture at the moment.
One Spoonbill, lots of Booted eagles and Marsh harriers, a few small flocks of Common swift and one large group of mixed hirundines with one Red-rumpled swallow and two Sand Martins where I met a visiting Swedish birder and spent a happy time chatting. Just another bonus of our great hobby.
Mike

Many thanks Clive and Bob for your excellent advice. Having seen the results, it will be very hard to go back to my weedy bridge camera so I will just have to take the plunge.
Bob. The east coast is by far the best, Punta de n’Amer, Porto Colom or my local lighthouse at Porto Petro.
The Shearwaters come really close at times, yet other days they are far out, it depends on the winds. At their peak, the they go past at about 2,000 per hour, mixed groups of both Balearic and Scopoli’s.
When they reach the most south-easterly point, they then fly diagonally towards Cabrera, thus leaving the coastline and going further out to sea. For this reason, the lighthouse at the Cap de Ses Salines is not the best place in my experience. Yesterday they were close in and the wind had an easterly bias which I believe are the best conditions.
Mike

Hi Mike sorry to throw a spanner in the works but is that not an actual Corys Shearwater? The dark under primaries as opposed to the white tongue shown by Scopoli’s and reasonably stout bill? Im not that up on these but I thought that was one of the identifying features (the under wing pattern)?

Purple Heron this morning at Albuferata along with 4 G. W. Egrets, 6 Greenshanks, Grey Plover, 4 Snipe, Osprey.
Salbufera late yesterday, 3 Temmincks, 3 L. Stints, 13 Dunlin, Good numbers of Greenshanks And Spotted Reds and Male Garganey still present.
Steve.

Hi Mike sorry to throw a spanner in the works but is that not an actual Corys Shearwater? The dark under primaries as opposed to the white tongue shown by Scopoli’s and reasonably stout bill? Im not that up on these but I thought that was one of the identifying features (the under wing pattern)?

Hello!
regarding to the last picture of Calonectris, not sure about its bill but it's true that the dark hand is quite extended. Even so, as Mike said, individual variation is tricky.
Ask an expert like Miguel McMinn could be useful.

Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• 20180319_113100.jpg
    20180319_113100.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 56
Hi Blackness birder. I often think some of the Shearwaters here are good for Cory’s but I’m told they are all Scopoli’s.
I am writing to Miguel as Cristina suggests and will post the results.
Mike

Hi Blackness birder. I often think some of the Shearwaters here are good for Cory’s but I’m told they are all Scopoli’s.
I am writing to Miguel as Cristina suggests and will post the results.
Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, I think Cristina may have a point with the bill having a better look at it today, but it is interesting that the underwing pattern varies so much within Scopolis. I think if this was seen off of Cornwall or Southern Ireland it would likely be called by the majority as Cory’s because of the underwing. It makes you wonder if we do get more Scoplois in UK waters?

Cheers
Euan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back